PaquetHS256web.jpg

Position: D

Height: 6-3

Weight: 210

Shoots: Right

Birthdate: 1987-03-12 Age: 21

Birthplace: Québec City, Québec, Canada

Drafted in the 7th round (229th overall) in 2005

Contract: Clarkson (must sign by August 15, 2009)

Hope there isn't already a thread on Paquet, but this kid will be a player. He played a regular shift for Clarkson College as a true freshman out of NE prep school. As a soph he is on the top pairing for the Golden Knights, who are ranked among the top 10 teams in the NCAA. I beleive he leads all NCAA players with 100 penalty minutes so far in 21 games. He is 6-3, 210 pounds and has pretty good skills. He is well ahead of Ryan O'Byrne at the same age. O'Byrne started in the ECAC a year later, and didn't play a lot as a freshman. Paquet's development is closer to that of Sasha Pokulok at Cornell, and Pokulok was a first round draft pick after his freshman year.

Guest montreal
Hope there isn't already a thread on Paquet, but this kid will be a player. He played a regular shift for Clarkson College as a true freshman out of NE prep school. As a soph he is on the top pairing for the Golden Knights, who are ranked among the top 10 teams in the NCAA. I beleive he leads all NCAA players with 100 penalty minutes so far in 21 games. He is 6-3, 210 pounds and has pretty good skills. He is well ahead of Ryan O'Byrne at the same age. O'Byrne started in the ECAC a year later, and didn't play a lot as a freshman. Paquet's development is closer to that of Sasha Pokulok at Cornell, and Pokulok was a first round draft pick after his freshman year.

Paquet is on the top pairing but Clarkson is weak on the right side. He seems to be playing better this year then last but he's taken some stupid penalties this year, with several checking from behind hits which is why he has so many pims. He has the body frame of Hainsey, he's big but skates well with good speed.

O'Byrne was a year older and he didn't really become Cornell's top defensemen until his junior year. But he still played well during his freshman and sophomore years, better then Paquet in his own end.

I'm very interested to see how Paquet progresses.

Guest shanahan1024

Freshman Year

Games Played 37

Goals 2

Assists 5

Points 7

PM 91

Sophomore Year

Games Played 22

Goals 1

Assists 3

Points 4

PM 100 (only 28 are minors)

He definitly plays with an edge but I dont think he has much offensive upside.

• 1 year later...

Paquet was interviewed on Team 990 on Friday. Unfortunately, I can't find a link to the audio.

He talked about his decision to play College hockey as opposed to playing in the CHL. He said the system they play is geared towards the defensive side of the game and this is good for his development considering his stay at home style. He said that was the downside of playing in the QMJHL, for example, as it is a more wide open offensive league.

He also spoke about looking forward to the next step in his career which would be signing a deal with the habs and going pro with Cincinnati or Hamilton this coming summer. He says he likes to play with an edge and that is a reason he is effective. I can't recall if it was Mitch or Tony who was talking to him but the interviewer assured Phillipe that he was definitely on the Canadiens radar as a prospect for the future.

In my opinion he is a very well spoken guy who seems very focused on playing a responsible, system based defensive game.

We'll see what happens this summer as the Canadiens must sign him by August 15th, 2009 or his rights will be lost.

Paquet was interviewed on Team 990 on Friday. Unfortunately, I can't find a link to the audio.

He talked about his decision to play College hockey as opposed to playing in the CHL. He said the system they play is geared towards the defensive side of the game and this is good for his development considering his stay at home style. He said that was the downside of playing in the QMJHL, for example, as it is a more wide open offensive league.

He also spoke about looking forward to the next step in his career which would be signing a deal with the habs and going pro with Cincinnati or Hamilton this coming summer. He says he likes to play with an edge and that is a reason he is effective. I can't recall if it was Mitch or Tony who was talking to him but the interviewer assured Phillipe that he was definitely on the Canadiens radar as a prospect for the future.

In my opinion he is a very well spoken guy who seems very focused on playing a responsible, system based defensive game.

We'll see what happens this summer as the Canadiens must sign him by August 15th, 2009 or his rights will be lost.

Obviously Philippe made the right decision in choosing the college route for his development, and not just for the reasons mentioned in the quote above.

As a late round draft pick, he faces a tough, uphill climb if he wants to make a career for himself in professional hockey, so Philippe was smart enough to snag himself a free post-secondary education to fall back on, should his NHL dreams fail to materialize.

Now he can shoot for Plan A knowing that Plan B is already in place. Smart kid.

• 8 months later...

Looking over all these youngsters, I cant wait to see some of em in action on our blueline. Another right handed shot, big, tough. Is he any closer to coming up than any of the other young d-men (other than Weber)? He's already 22 (not that its a bad thing, or that he's getting old...), but I haven't heard much about this kid. He's a hometown boy too!

• 1 year later...

Archived