The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Habs To Play Game At Olympic Stadium In December 2009??

chrisjamessauve

Yeah, I'd say so. Best hockey city, best hockey fans: 70,000+ crammed into the place making three+ times the noise that happened at home play-off games at Bell Centre this past season? Wow! Simply Wow!

I suppose it would need to be a U.S (eastern) based team at the opposition in order to entice the American TV audience. Leafs would obviously be the pick, if for other than that pressure.

Sure would have been great to have done Habs-Red Army New Years Eve game there after the Big Owe was built. (Hey, is that thing paid off yet, anyway?) :D

Probably not paid off yet but the question should be: IS IT SAFE?

Wow. Habs playing in Olympic Stadium would rock.
Yeah, I'd say so. Best hockey city, best hockey fans: 70,000+ crammed into the place making three+ times the noise that happened at home play-off games at Bell Centre this past season? Wow! Simply Wow!

I suppose it would need to be a U.S (eastern) based team at the opposition in order to entice the American TV audience. Leafs would obviously be the pick, if for other than that pressure.

Sure would have been great to have done Habs-Red Army New Years Eve game there after the Big Owe was built. (Hey, is that thing paid off yet, anyway?) :D

that'd be absolutely awesome :) I wanted an outdoor game this year, but since it is only the hawks and the wings that will play one.. it doesn't bother me that we play one at home on our real 100th year anniversary rather than in our 100th season ;) I hope they make it official.. and the stadium is bigger than the bell center, which means more crazy habs fans :D

Probably not paid off yet but the question should be: IS IT SAFE?

"And goaltender Carey Price, on pace to have the single best statistical goaltending season of all time, is out for the season after getting a concussion from a chunk of roof"

Seriously, right now the roof is not safe in certain months, including December 4, but the article said the Habs will help pay or a new one or something like that.

"And goaltender Carey Price, on pace to have the single best statistical goaltending season of all time, is out for the season after getting a concussion from a chunk of roof"

Seriously, right now the roof is not safe in certain months, including December 4, but the article said the Habs will help pay or a new one or something like that.

yet another one?!!! :D

it's been many years since I've been in the Big Owe, I can't recall, do the seats rise on a relatively low or high angle on the main seating level... the difference is with a lower angle, like the 100 level at Rogers Centre/Skydome, you get a wider expanse in which you are closer to the playing surface vertically but further away on the horizontal plane, while with a higher angle, like the 500 level at RC/Skydome, it's the other way around...

I think psychologically it feels closer to be higher up but laterally closer to the playing area... walking along the concourse behind the 100 level seats at Skydome feels like you're in another area code...

The roof doesn't work anyway, so of course they'll be playing without it.

And yes, it's all paid up but the tax is apparently hiding somewhere... (I forgot where... I hear it just moved on to pay for something else...)

Probably will never happen, but I think it would be funny/cool if they have a street hockey game in front of the location of the old arena. It burnt down a while ago (was a grocery store or something). Or hell, at least a street festival! Maybe in front of the old Forum instead? Or both?

Doesn't "Il appert que le Canadien profiterait des travaux de réfection du toit du stade pour présenter la rencontre à ciel ouvert." mean something like the Canadiens will help fixing the roof so they can play outside? My french isn't very good, so I could be way off here.

That means the Habs will profit from the roof being under construction (ie. not there) to play with an open sky.

Molson Stadium is nicer/safer. Unfortunately it holds a little less than the Bell Center...

Did you guys even read the article? it says that the canadiens would play without the roof.

I would love to see the habs play in front of 60,000 + that's for sure.

Doesn't "Il appert que le Canadien profiterait des travaux de réfection du toit du stade pour présenter la rencontre à ciel ouvert." mean something like the Canadiens will help fixing the roof so they can play outside? My french isn't very good, so I could be way off here.

From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_Stadium_(Montreal)#Continuing_problems):

On September 8 of that year, support beams snapped and caused a 55-ton concrete slab to fall on to an exterior walkway. No one was injured, but the Expos had to move their final 13 home games of that season to the opponents' cities. For the 1992 season, it was decided to keep the roof closed at all times. The Kevlar roof was removed in May 1998, making the stadium open-air for the 1998 season. Later in 1998, a $26 million opaque blue roof was installed which does not open.

In January 1999, a 350 square metre portion of the roof collapsed, dumping ice and snow on workers that were setting up for the annual Montreal Auto Show.[5] This led to the auto show leaving Olympic Stadium for good. Repaired once again, the roof has been modified to better react to the winter conditions. The OIB has installed a network of pipes to circulate heated water under the roof to allow for snow melting. Despite these corrective measures, the stadium floor remains closed during the winter months.The contractors, manufacturers and engineers of the roof are now being sued for the roof failure.

--------

So assuming this is correct, it sounds like there is a non-opening roof, but it isn't safe in the winter months and the Habs are going to do something (likely pay to have the roof remove if I had to guess).

Maybe knowing how roudy and vigilante we are, after the Boston series last year, the Habs Brass will announce the distruction of "The Big Owe." ;):lol:

But seriously, this is great. It's going to be agaisnt the Rangers, and on our Birthday.

And also seriously, tear The Toitlet Bowl down, and make it into a new Football stadium for the Impact. Or tear IT down, and make it into a park/garden in commemeration of the Games.

Maybe knowing how roudy and vigilante we are, after the Boston series last year, the Habs Brass will announce the distruction of "The Big Owe." ;):lol:

But seriously, this is great. It's going to be agaisnt the Rangers, and on our Birthday.

And also seriously, tear The Toitlet Bowl down, and make it into a new Football stadium for the Impact. Or tear IT down, and make it into a park/garden in commemeration of the Games.

Big O's not blowing up...It also survived it's own share of riots :P I think after paying for it for so long it'll hurt more to see that part of our skyline go. Also the Impact have their new stadium next door.

And the game is next season, not this. December 2009! I hope it's against an original 6 though. Leafs or bust!

Big O's not blowing up...It also survived it's own share of riots :P I think after paying for it for so long it'll hurt more to see that part of our skyline go. Also the Impact have their new stadium next door.

And the game is next season, not this. December 2009! I hope it's against an original 6 though. Leafs or bust!

Ooooo, 2009...I see. Either way, should rock.

And to hell with the Leafs. Don't include them in any part of our history or event. :angry:

My order of preference for Original 6 match-up:

- Boston: Best, longest, and continously active rival in the NHL. (If you're saying T. in your head, that rivalary only exists in the psychy of Habs and Leafs fans minds. Not on the ice.)

- Chicago: To play agaisnt a once stuggling team in the league, who are now rising up with their youth, like ourselves, would be incredibly interesting to watch. Also, HU-ET HU-ET HU-ET!!!

- New York: US's most popular team. Might grab more attention from down south on the tube.

- Detroit: Only if we have to. I don't feal like watching Les Boys get *****, but the victory would be sweet.

- Toronto: Why would we want to watch the "Construction In Progress" Leafs in a game vs. us? A game like this is too special for a medicore team that has no idea on how to rebuild.

Outdoor game at the Big O! :D

Awesome!

And yes, I do believe Olympic stadium is officially paid off. A few years back, I think. Also, yes, the would need to do something baout repairs most likely. Isn't that the running joke here in Montreal? That the roof is falling apart. Heck, the bloody apparatus used for opening and closing the roof failed to work from the get-go, back in the 60s (I think it was the 60s). However, they do hold monster truck rallies there, so it's probably good to go!

OUTDOOR GAME! :o

I am definitely going! :D:D

Ooooo, 2009...I see. Either way, should rock.

And to hell with the Leafs. Don't include them in any part of our history or event. :angry:

My order of preference for Original 6 match-up:

- Boston: Best, longest, and continously active rival in the NHL. (If you're saying T. in your head, that rivalary only exists in the psychy of Habs and Leafs fans minds. Not on the ice.)

- Chicago: To play agaisnt a once stuggling team in the league, who are now rising up with their youth, like ourselves, would be incredibly interesting to watch. Also, HU-ET HU-ET HU-ET!!!

- New York: US's most popular team. Might grab more attention from down south on the tube.

- Detroit: Only if we have to. I don't feal like watching Les Boys get *****, but the victory would be sweet.

- Toronto: Why would we want to watch the "Construction In Progress" Leafs in a game vs. us? A game like this is too special for a medicore team that has no idea on how to rebuild.

I agree, but i would like to see the leafs before detroit

Watching an outdoor game in Wrigley this season will be awesome, the Big O is pretty disgusting, whatever though it's the 100th year I suppose...

I hope they do one in the New Yankee Stadium and Fenway soon too...

Archived