The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#3 - Ryan O'byrne 2008-09

AK-1

i always say o'byrne is overrated. what a mistake to have let streit go. if only mark would have been given a chance to play on the 2nd d line. i can't see o'bryne bringing anything to the habs. bring one of the d up from hamilton....the most obvious choice would be weber

To have Steit still we would not have Lang, if you ask me, Streit was very overrated to be honest, he has a good shot but thats it.

The risk involved in using a call up in O' Byrne's place would make it a case of 'the devil you know' and fall in O' Byrne's favor.

Personally, I expect a few glitches from him, but comparing him to last season and this year's pre-season, he has reigned in his discipline substantially and has shown an improvement in making the right calls on the ice. He is more hit than miss, but his youth will lead him to make the disappointing play on occasion. I'm willing to be patient with him if he continues with his efforts because I do see that he is learning and he has made some impressive plays to offset some of the mistakes, which, honestly, there weren't many of. He was responsible for allowing a goal the other night, but he stopped a 3 on 1 that surely would have resulted in a goal in a previous game.

He is not so much a liability that he needs to be replaced at this point and if we allow him to play a large number of games this year, he may emerge from this season well prepared for the playoffs. His mistakes are glaring when they occur, and they will on occasion, but he is doing good work more often than not.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one thinking that...

Guy Carbonneau s'est dit déçu du rendement du jeune défenseur Ryan O'Byrne jusqu'à maintenant.

«Ryan n'est pas l'ombre du joueur qu'il a été la saison dernière. Il a connu un match ordinaire, lundi, mais ce n'était pas le premier pour lui cette saison. Il doit jouer mieux, avec plus d'assurance.

«Les joueurs disent souvent qu'ils ont perdu confiance. Nous, on essaie de leur redonner. C'était la première fois lundi qu'on le laissait sur le banc en troisième période, a fait remarquer l'entraîneur. Avant ça, on lui avait donné sa chance.

Ça arrive parfois à des joueurs de deuxième année. Ils pensent davantage et réagissent moins instinctivement. Je ne suis pas inquiet pour lui, il est capable de revenir fort.»

Carbo a dit que O'Byrne doit oublier rapidement les erreurs qu'il commet.

Source...

I wasn't impressed with his pre-season and certainly not impressed with his first few games. It's like he's out of shape or something, as he seems to have lost a step. Good on Carbo to point it out.

Just one word Yannick Weber

I'm not sure if Yannick is ready to handle the defensive responsibilities of the NHL... YET. However, I would love nothing more than to see Yannick develop quickly and make the leap to the NHL. However, I do think, despite his obvious early season short-comings, O'Byrne is ahead of him in development. O'Byrne will come around. I just hope it's sooner rather than later. And if he needs to sit in the pressbox to get his head back in the game... Then so be it!

Just one word Yannick Weber

Well, we'd probably see Brisebois or Dandenault before we saw Weber, but I do take your point. O'Byrne can't fall into the trap of thinking his job is secure just because he played half a season in the NHL last year. D is a position where we're absolutely stocked with prospects, so if he doesn't work hard and show the coaches he's committed to improving his game, guys like Weber could suddenly catch up to him.

Ryan's still a kid in terms of D-Men. Komy had similar days but we could all see the potential and he has delivered. If he follows the same development curve then he'll be fine. ;)

No duck hunting for OB this saturday, he's the scratched D for that game. Carbo says that watching the game from the press box should help him get his focus back.

pairings at practice today were:

Markov-Komisarek

Hamrlik-Gorges

Bouillon-Brisebois

Although I'm not happy with O'Byrne's play so far this season, I don't agree with this decision, simply because the Ducks have a big mean team.

Although I'm not happy with O'Byrne's play so far this season, I don't agree with this decision, simply because the Ducks have a big mean team.

Unless OB is hurt or ill, otherwise it is wrong to not have O'Byrne in the lineup.

I think that O'Byrne has played good so far. If anyone should be in the press box it should be Brisebois. I have seen no offensive skill to Brisebois this season and he is still very weak on the puck in our zone. O'Byrne has played good in the first few games. O'Byrne was terrible in the pre-season with poor decisions and a lot of penalties. I think that O'Bryne could become as good as Komi in two more seasons. If anything Montreal should have 7 defencemen for the Saturday. Bouillon just came back from injury.

Unless OB is hurt or ill, otherwise it is wrong to not have O'Byrne in the lineup.

I think that O'Byrne has played good so far. If anyone should be in the press box it should be Brisebois. I have seen no offensive skill to Brisebois this season and he is still very weak on the puck in our zone. O'Byrne has played good in the first few games. O'Byrne was terrible in the pre-season with poor decisions and a lot of penalties. I think that O'Bryne could become as good as Komi in two more seasons. If anything Montreal should have 7 defencemen for the Saturday. Bouillon just came back from injury.

Obyrne is making more mistakes than Brisebois, who plays a lot better than all the haters say. Yes, he is young and does not make that much mistakes, but still. And Brisbebois brings more offense than Obyrne even if not that much. Obyrne might be big, but I feel he could use his size way more than right now.

And anyway, it's more Gorges than Brisebois who takes the spot.

Right, but how would O'Byrne help? He's not physical consistently and actually gets pushed around quite a bit in the defensive zone. I'm hoping Laraque can dress. If not, Begin will have to do.

I think that taking a step back and refocus will only be beneficial to OB. Playing against the Ducks tomorrow would place him in a situation where the risk of errors is quite high which would only add to his confidence issue. Better have him back against a less threatening opponent where he can rebuild his confidence and be open to improvement.

Points-wise, you're absolutely right. But they are still tied for second most penalized team in the league and second in fighting majors this year.

Which is perhaps why we should attempt to avoid facilitating, "Their," game! O'Byrne has been making too many mistakes. None of them have really cost us thus far, but it's good to deal with the situation before one does cost us. If putting O'Byrne in means Perry gets a free break on Halak when O'Byrne misses a, "Big time," hit again, then I would rather him sit out, get his bearings back, and come back ready next week. We should steer clear of trying to match Anaheim physically, and use our speed to beat them offensively. The hitting needs to be there, but our forwards need to be responsible for that on the fore check rather than O'Byrne. :)

Looks like you called it right JenniferRocket; O'Byrne is a healthy scratch.

I am so smart! :lol:

I should advise Carbonneau on ALL of his decisions.

LoL, dont take too much credit there,

We all saw how HORRIBLE he played last game, With bouillion back, he can easily sit in the pressbox,

Drives me nuts to think that alot of people were upset with the breezer signing as if we didnt have breezer we would ahve to play obryne more often, or a rookie who wouldnt be ready yet..

Hopefully Obyrn gets his head back into the game

Please give me some examples of OB playing horrible. It is laughable to think that Brisebois is getting ice time over OB.

Comparision of the two players: Brisebois and OB

1) Brisebois is supposed to be great on the PP. How many points does Brisebois have on the PP? Or for the season?

2) Brisebois is 37 years old. Will he improve with age?

3) Brisebois indicated that he would be willing to be in the press box shortly after the late summer signing. So why put a big strong and improving young defenceman in the press box?

4) Did anyone catch the hot dog between the legs pass from Brisebois to the slot (on Monday or Saturday)? Is this a veteran move to blindly pass the puck to the slot?

5) Which player is more easily pushed off the puck along the boards?

6) Which player is big enough to handle Getzlaf when he tries to crash Halak?

I think it is a stupid move to put a weak older Brisebois on the ice. I would prefer Dandenault (seriously) over Brisebois in our defensive zone.

Fans that put UFA Bouillon and UFA Brisebois ahead of a big strong and improving OB are putting place of birth over skill level. This is wrong. The best players should get the ice time. And when Montreal is playing one of the two most physical teams in the NHL there should be big defencemen to protect our goalies. Especially Halak who is not big enough to protect himself.

Please give me some examples of OB playing horrible. It is laughable to think that Brisebois is getting ice time over OB.

Comparision of the two players: Brisebois and OB

1) Brisebois is supposed to be great on the PP. How many points does Brisebois have on the PP? Or for the season?

2) Brisebois is 37 years old. Will he improve with age?

3) Brisebois indicated that he would be willing to be in the press box shortly after the late summer signing. So why put a big strong and improving young defenceman in the press box?

4) Did anyone catch the hot dog between the legs pass from Brisebois to the slot (on Monday or Saturday)? Is this a veteran move to blindly pass the puck to the slot?

5) Which player is more easily pushed off the puck along the boards?

6) Which player is big enough to handle Getzlaf when he tries to crash Halak?

I think it is a stupid move to put a weak older Brisebois on the ice. I would prefer Dandenault (seriously) over Brisebois in our defensive zone.

Fans that put UFA Bouillon and UFA Brisebois ahead of a big strong and improving OB are putting place of birth over skill level. This is wrong. The best players should get the ice time. And when Montreal is playing one of the two most physical teams in the NHL there should be big defencemen to protect our goalies. Especially Halak who is not big enough to protect himself.

Or Carbo might just be teaching O'Byrne a lesson by benching him, hoping he'll come out and play with more fire and minimize his mistakes. I agree that he should be playing over Brisebois unless Carbo is benching him as a learning process.

Fan did you watch last game?

Obyrne cant make a pass out of our d zone, when he has plenty of time,

Breezer > Then obryne on pp

Breezer not improving is > then Obyrn

Breezer doesnt mind sitting in the press box , which is good for the team, but no need to sit him for someone who played a HORRIBLE game last game

Point being is after Obyrne had such a bad game, he desrves to sit in the press box, to understand that he did play awful, he needs to use his head out there, Practice on his passing and so on.

I couldnt beleive how many times he fumbled with the puck last game, and he was only out there for 8 mins

I agree with you that in a few yrs from now OB could / should be a better player then breezer but the point is today right now, Breezer is by far the better more stable player of the 2 of them

He'll be back in the line up soon. I'm not worried; everyone has a bad game. Boullion had one good game this year and entire bad season last year...guess we'll see how he does with the big forwards like Getz that's always been Beefs weak spot. Since a lot of you like to compare Breezer on here which I find funny but any who Breezer still can't skate backwards and has never stood up for a teammate. i.e. Zednik.

I agree with you that in a few yrs from now OB could / should be a better player then breezer but the point is today right now, Breezer is by far the better more stable player of the 2 of them

Brisebois was horrible. Stupid penalties. Terrible defensive zone coverage. Slow. Weak along the boards. Totally over matched by the big strong Ducks.

OB should gets lots of ice time after the Ducks game. OB does not get PP time but so what. Neither does Komi.

Archived