Shoots: Left

Height: 5' 10"

Weight: 187

Born: 23 Nov '74

Born in: Turku, Finland

MTL Season: 11th

NHL Season: 11th

Drafted: Montréal's 1st round choice, 21st overall, in 1993

Acquired: 1st pick (21) - 1993 / Signed a three-year contract extension on February 11, 2006

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cup or it's time for him to go :P

If Habs win the cup...he can play for us until he is 102. If not the time has come to say goodbye.

That's interesting... Would you be opposed to resigning him should we fail to win the Cup, but he wants to stay, and takes a discount + shorter contract duration? I don't think it would be fair to send him on his way after years and years of toil on horrible Montreal teams. Now that we are getting better, we should give him a few seasons (if he wants them) to win a Cup here. You watched how good he was in last season's playoffs! ;) Bloody good!

That's interesting... Would you be opposed to resigning him should we fail to win the Cup, but he wants to stay, and takes a discount + shorter contract duration? I don't think it would be fair to send him on his way after years and years of toil on horrible Montreal teams. Now that we are getting better, we should give him a few seasons (if he wants them) to win a Cup here. You watched how good he was in last season's playoffs! ;) Bloody good!

yes he was and he is very good, and yes he should stay ;) , but if Uncle Bob needs to pick between him or Kovy at the end of the season, I hope Kovy is the one to stay. :mellow:

Saku can actually have a very great season (pointwise) with Tanguay by his side. Might even be able to skip the yearly 20-25 game pointless streak too.

yes he was and he is very good, and yes he should stay ;) , but if Uncle Bob needs to pick between him or Kovy at the end of the season, I hope Kovy is the one to stay. :mellow:

Saku can actually have a very great season (pointwise) with Tanguay by his side. Might even be able to skip the yearly 20-25 game pointless streak too.

The beauty of it is, Gainey will have the entire season to watch and decide (should he have to). Kovalev could have a down year, but brings so much to the team when he's on. Koivu could have an awesome year, but doesn't have the pure skill that Kovalev has. I hope they both stay with Montreal, however unrealistic it is to hope we can get them on 2-year extensions for approximately the same money they're making now. :(:lol:

When did Saku had a 20-25 game pointless streak ? I don't recall that happening even once, let alone yearly.

When did Saku had a 20-25 game pointless streak ? I don't recall that happening even once, let alone yearly.

Yeah, the longest he went without a point last season was only 5 games. Same thing with the '06-07 season where the longest he went without a point was 5 games. Quite a ridiculous exageration if you ask me.

Someone said that Saku was still the No.1 center on the Habs (Graeme? Weep?)... I agree and believe that given the right circumstances, with the right players playing on his wing, he would be better than we've ever seen him. I'm afraid that BG has so far failed him in this way and he may never have had the opportunity when all is said and done.

I do not know what Saku will do from here on out but hope only for best. He deserves it IMO.

He had great games in the playofs last year. why? he, for once, actualy saw that his team actualy has potential and he believed in all his team mates and mostly he bielieved in himself. I love when a team is gowing good. Every one's happy and everyone is giving 110%, 100% of the time (

) adn these are the perfect conditions for saku.

Someone said that Saku was still the No.1 center on the Habs (Graeme? Weep?)... I agree and believe that given the right circumstances, with the right players playing on his wing, he would be better than we've ever seen him. I'm afraid that BG has so far failed him in this way and he may never have had the opportunity when all is said and done.

I do not know what Saku will do from here on out but hope only for best. He deserves it IMO.

If he's not our number 1, he's atleast 1A 1B with Plekanec, if you look at ice time Saku played slightly more pergame then Tomas. There's no doubt in my mind Saku is our most important center, he's the guy that in a big, crucial game Carbo would lean on heavily.

I wouldn't be completely surprised to see Saku match (or better) his career high in points now that it seems he'll have a legitimate linemate to feed of off instead of having to prop up the Zednik's and Kilger's of the world.

Archived