The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#22 - Steve Begin 2008-09

AK-1

I read really quickly the other day in le journal de montreal that Begin thinks/knows he has to work REALLY hard to keep a spot on this team.

I don't know how many games he will play, but I think he should put it in his head that he will probably be seeing the pressbox a little more often even when he is healthy.

good team player...just does some dumb "things" sometimes in the heat of the action. :mellow:

I read really quickly the other day in le journal de montreal that Begin thinks/knows he has to work REALLY hard to keep a spot on this team.

I don't know how many games he will play, but I think he should put it in his head that he will probably be seeing the pressbox a little more often even when he is healthy.

good team player...just does some dumb "things" sometimes in the heat of the action. :mellow:

That's a good attitude for him to be entering the season with. Knowing that he has to maintain a top-level game or that he may see time in the pressbox. I certainly hope he stays healthy, and I certainly hope he maintains his edge. Am I the only one who thought is penalty on Kapanen was unwarranted? :rolleyes:

He's going to be in a major dogfight to earn a spot, especially if Bob follows through on his plan to add another forward (Sundin or otherwise).

In camp it could end up being him, Tom K and Laraque battling for 2 jobs.

The reason why we love him soo much is because he plays on the edge, and all the opposition knows this, and are afraid when hes out there.

The issue is that when he plays this way, it can cost us..

As we all can easily remember 2 HUGE gambreaking mistakes of his, that lead us to 1) not make the playoffs

2) Get eliminated from the playoffs cuz of dumb penalties

He's going to be in a major dogfight to earn a spot, especially if Bob follows through on his plan to add another forward (Sundin or otherwise).

In camp it could end up being him, Tom K and Laraque battling for 2 jobs.

No doubt about the dogfight. You can bet guys like Pacioretty and D'Agostini will be "showing up" at camp as well.

I wouldn't overestimate the # of games Laraque will be dressed for. He can be a presence, even from the pressbox, as long as he dresses once in a while. Come play-offs, we won't see him dressed after the first series, IMHO.

This is a player that I have alot of respect for. He gives 982% of effort every game. he knows his talent is limited but it doesent stop him. He rams into everything thats not wearing a Habs logo on its chest and just keep raming. this hurts him more often than none but great heart in this guy and i hope he has a good season and rest of carear with or without the Habs

While I definitely love the effort this guy gives you every shift,I fear we may not have him on our side much longer since we now have too many players to accomodate on the roster with the aquisition of Tangs,Laraque,and Lang.Somebody has to go and ,it looks like,to me anyway,Begin and Dandy are most likely on the outside looking in.I feel bad for them since they are at least partly responsible for,or contributed to, the upsurge in progress in the last 2 years ,especially last year,and now that we are about to eat the fruit,they will not be invited to the table! <_<

T o add to my last post,I really don't think Bob is finished yet.It still seems to me that we have too many more than capable bodies for certain roles and ,yet could still be lacking that little something that will ensure success for this milestone season that we are about to embark on.Are more moves imminent?Now,or by the trade deadline?What a ride mister Gainey is inviting us on! B)

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have anything against Steve, he's got a ton of heart, but I think he's be more effective if he didn't play one game, then be out for four months, play one game, out for two weeks, play one game - done for the season.

He's injured more than he plays and that's a downfall for any player, doesn't matter who you are. It's not very appealing as a fan or coaching staff.

I don't have anything against Steve, he's got a ton of heart, but I think he's be more effective if he didn't play one game, then be out for four months, play one game, out for two weeks, play one game - done for the season.

He's injured more than he plays and that's a downfall for any player, doesn't matter who you are. It's not very appealing as a fan or coaching staff.

How would he be more effective if he didn't play? The guy is one of the best energy players in the game today.

How would he be more effective if he didn't play? The guy is one of the best energy players in the game today.

You misread that. I said he'd be more effective if he didn't play one game, get injured and be out for the next four months, play a game, get injured and be out for three months etc. He'd be more effective if he did play and wasn't always injured.

You misread that. I said he'd be more effective if he didn't play one game, get injured and be out for the next four months, play a game, get injured and be out for three months etc. He'd be more effective if he did play and wasn't always injured.

Ah, my mistake.

well i'm hoping that when he is in the line up that he gets back to the really high intensity he had 2 yrs ago. Begin didn't do much for me last year and seems to have lost a bit in pre-season. in all fairness it was only pre-season. all in all i like the guy because he bleeds red-white-blue!!

Marginal players can't take selfish penalties like that. They are there to provide some energy, defense, give the good players a rest, etc. You can't put a player like this out there when he's going to land you in the box. It was only one game, but it brings back some bad memories from last season. Begin is already on thin ice with our current roster, taking 2 penalties on one shift is not what we need him to do out there.

Archived