The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#25 - Mathieu Dandenault 2008-09

AK-1

Mathieu Dandenault: Cap Hit: 1,725,000$.

Is it even believable that Montreal’s 7th defenseman will be a larger cap hit for the Canadiens than Mike Komisarek, Tomas Plekanec, or Chris Higgins will be? With rumors surfacing that the club may still elect to bring Patrice Brisebois back, it seems clear that Dandenault could be traded or bought out before training camp is over. It seems logical that he will be traded or bought out if Sundin is added to the roster. Seeing as how he voiced his displeasure last year about the way he was being used by the team, chances are he’ll be playing elsewhere at some point this year. Until that point…

A great year for Mathieu Dandenault would be: Having a roster spot, and keeping it. Not much else to say…A disappointment would be never cracking the lineup, never being traded, and getting bought out, waived, and unclaimed.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id...p;blogger_id=82

I know I am not alone when I say I think he will be the first one from this list not to be wearing a Habs jersey.

Would not mind to see him go.

I wish him well no matter what happens with Dandy this season.

makes way too much money (for what he does/brings to this team).

Agreed, it's best to move on for both parties.

IMO, playing as a forward actually hurt Dandenault's value as many thought it was all that was left for him with the Habs... but in actual fact he was not such a bad d-man really.

He has been quite durable under the circumstances... I would not be surprised to see moved one way or another as he has been another one of those players that BG brought in to get through the transition part of building the team.

I dont think a buyout will do us any good, unless we really need to save the few dollars we will save by buying him out..

But other then that, It would be good to have him as a backup / filling in here and there

He is a high energy player, and with Streit gone, and if we don't land Sundin, I believe he will have a larger role, on the team. Of course, if we get somebody big, and we have to move salary, I believe it will be either Dandy or Boully.

He is a high energy player, and with Streit gone, and if we don't land Sundin, I believe he will have a larger role, on the team. Of course, if we get somebody big, and we have to move salary, I believe it will be either Dandy or Boully.

I agree completely, if Gainey can't pick up either Sundin or Schneider or if a prospect like Yannick Weber, Mathieu Carle or Pavel Valentenko doesn't step up this season, I could definately see one of two things either Dandenault going back and playing defense next year full time, and have Sergei Kostitsyn play the point on the top line with Markov and Dandenault with Hamrlik on the second line power play, or Dandenault be this years version of Streit and play the regular shift at forward and then play the point on the power play...but as of right now i see Dandenault playing a big roll on the team come this season

I just don't see where Dandenault fits in with the club this season. I think Gainey has made a huge mistake not having moved Dandenault before now. This is totally going to be an issue when Dandenault gets benched, and he complains, etc. etc. etc. I understand not wanting to buy-out his contract, but we should be working feverishly at moving him. I would rather go out and sign Brisebois for much less, or have a younger player come up and fill the role. Is J.P. Cote still around? Perhaps he could play the 7th D-man role.

IMO, playing as a forward actually hurt Dandenault's value as many thought it was all that was left for him with the Habs... but in actual fact he was not such a bad d-man really.

He has been quite durable under the circumstances... I would not be surprised to see moved one way or another as he has been another one of those players that BG brought in to get through the transition part of building the team.

I always thought when him and Bouillon were 100% healthy they played really well together. Seems that it's long forgotten by a lot of people here.

I always thought when him and Bouillon were 100% healthy they played really well together. Seems that it's long forgotten by a lot of people here.
Yes, I agree... and it seems that perhaps it was long forgotten by the Coach last year as well. The money issue was attached to the coined phrase "Dandouillon" and as a result their defensive capability was minimized to fit the desired need to feel they should be moved out one way or another.

As a 6th-7th pairing. IMO. they would be more than just adequate. But the emergence of Josh Gorges and the desire to add O'Byrne's size and potential, has made the issue of who goes and who stays more complicated.

And also IMO none of the 4 above-mentioned can be considered as a top-four d-man.

So Dandenault may have to go if he wants to play a bigger role on a team.

I don't see Bouillon being moved.

Yes, I agree... and it seems that perhaps it was long forgotten by the Coach last year as well. The money issue was attached to the coined phrase "Dandouillon" and as a result their defensive capability was minimized to fit the desired need to feel they should be moved out one way or another.

As a 6th-7th pairing. IMO. they would be more than just adequate. But the emergence of Josh Gorges and the desire to add O'Byrne's size and potential, has made the issue of who goes and who stays more complicated.

And also IMO none of the 4 above-mentioned can be considered as a top-four d-man.

So Dandenault may have to go if he wants to play a bigger role on a team.

But the kids have the potential to be top 4!

could someone kindly explain to me what the contract situation/status is with Dandenault? I'm confused a bit. Is he actually still part of the team, and if so, what is his most likely situation to be this year?

This is the final year on his contract. With the addition of some players this offseason, he'll be lucky to get in 20 games this season if there's no injuries.

This is the final year on his contract. With the addition of some players this offseason, he'll be lucky to get in 20 games this season if there's no injuries.

lol how about none? he'll be lucky if he's still an hab coming october.

I like dandy though, too bad he got caught up in such a bad situation, i mean, theres not too many quebecois (unfortunately) who say outloud they want to play with us and come play with us.

When you look at how dandy case was handled, you can understand why though, it's a shame.

so where does dandy end up this yr....its clear that he is not in the future plans of the montreal canadians unless gainey feels the need to keep him for 2009 with so many players to sign. Personally i think he will be moved on in some way......i can see him going for a 6th rounder to someone...

What we know is one player has to go just to fit under the roster. I guess it's possible Chipchura returns to Hamilton, but this seems unlikely to me. I just can't see any alternative to moving Dandenault.

What he'd bring? We'd be lucky with a 5th-7th pick. He may need to go on waivers, although hopefully one of those young teams who needs to ice a full lineup and get to the cap would pick him up for free.

What we know is one player has to go just to fit under the roster. I guess it's possible Chipchura returns to Hamilton, but this seems unlikely to me. I just can't see any alternative to moving Dandenault.

What he'd bring? We'd be lucky with a 5th-7th pick. He may need to go on waivers, although hopefully one of those young teams who needs to ice a full lineup and get to the cap would pick him up for free.

At this point I would be willing to accept anything for him just to allow Chipchura to have his roster spot when the season begins. I'm sure Chipchura would be a class act, and "wait" for when his opportunity arises, but I would much rather that opportunity be in October than December (or later). Dandenault has to go! Los Angeles for a late round draft choice?

It'd be a good surprise, but I don't think so. Dandenault can be decent with the puck closer to the net, but his puck-moving abilities aren't near Streit's, nor is his long-range shot. We seem to have filled Streit's role up front with Tanguay (or Sergei, if you prefer), so we'll have to wait and see where Dandenault fits in, if at all.

Every team needs a swingman like this in the line up -- thing is, swingmen will never be as productive as we hope, but they bring a lot of versatility to a line up.

Ottawa has Shubert, a high energy and hard hitting/gritty player. They use him efficiently, and Carbo should learn to do the same in order to take advantage of Dandy's speed and other assets.

Either way, I like that he got pissed when he didn't play. I want players to care about playing for us! :)

• 2 weeks later...

With Bouillon hurt, and only one spare D-man in camp (Weber) is it possible Dandenault's tenure with Montreal just got an extension. There have been no talks of making a trade, and no talks of him going on waivers or being bought out. I guess once we find out the severity of Bouillon's injury we will know if Dandenault has a new found spot on the club. Apparently he played 17 minutes against the Bruins. Not bad, not bad. :unsure:

Archived