Position: Defenceman

Shoots: Left

Height: 6' 1"

Weight: 195

Born: 14 Aug '84

Born in: Kelowna, BC, Canada

MTL Season: 2nd

NHL Season: 3rd

Acquired: Acquired on February 25, 2007 along with a San Jose Sharks 1st round pick in 2007 in return for defenseman Craig Rivet and a Canadiens' 5th round pick in 2008 / Signed by San Jose as a free agent on Sept. 20, 2002

Josh Gorges: Cap Hit: 1,100,000$.

In one full season with the Canadiens, Josh Gorges has proven all the detractors wrong. When he came over in the Rivet deal (otherwise known as the gift that keeps on giving, re: Max Pac) no one truly understood what they were getting. I personally felt he would be a good acquisition, and knew it would take a while for people to understand why. When he came to Montreal he was coming from a Sharks team with a completely different system. Adjusting to a new system/team, going from 18 minutes of ice/game to being relegated to the pressbox more often than not, can and will take it’s toll on one’s confidence. That being said, Gorges never got down on himself, his teammates, or his new coach who seldom gave him the opportunity to settle into a position. As Gorges continued to be shifted from the ice to the pressbox leading into last December his game slowly started to improve. Once given a regular spot on defense, he hasn’t given the coach any incentive to take him out of the lineup. Much like his attitude in taking on new challenges with the Canadiens, Gorges gets knocked down, steamrolled, and trampled, and always gets up for more. He also makes simple decisions with the puck, and clears the zone very effectively as his passing has improved greatly.

A great year for Josh Gorges would be: Moving up to the #4 position on defense next to Roman Hamrlik, averaging more than 15 minutes/game, scoring a goal (only Hab not to last season), and a +rating. Being a healthy scratch at all this season would be a disappointment for Josh Gorges.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id...p;blogger_id=82

i see a breakout year for mr gorges. we are all going to love what he does this year. i think he will be paired with hamrlik, i think he earned carbos trust last season, and deservedly so, he played beautifully down the stretch. SCORE A GOAL!!!!

I could care less if he scores a goal. Just as long as he keeps up the good work in his own end.

• 2 weeks later...

I've always liked Gorges, and even when he got limited chances to play (when we first aquired him), I always saw potential in him and had a sneaking suspicion that he would eventually crack the line up to become at least a fifth D-man. While, watch TSN the other day they were referring to him as a fourt D-man, so even though I had good expectations and good feelings about him he even exceeded my expectations of him.

Each game he seems to improve his game, he works really hard and his hard work has paid off. He's great for our team and still young.

I also think he'll have a great season with us!

Its funny how 6'1" and 195lbs is considered small these days! :P

seriously...i was a goalie coach for some 13 yr old mthl kids a couple years ago and they were all bigger than me :blink:

josh is a gamer and he is gonna play his way into our top 4. rocket is right, he was taking hits to make plays, thats the guy you want on your team. he knows what needs to be done out there and its team first. score the first goal of the year on friday josh :D

seriously...i was a goalie coach for some 13 yr old mthl kids a couple years ago and they were all bigger than me :blink:

josh is a gamer and he is gonna play his way into our top 4. rocket is right, he was taking hits to make plays, thats the guy you want on your team. he knows what needs to be done out there and its team first. score the first goal of the year on friday josh :D

it would also be his first as a hab :)

Archived