AK-1

# 27 - Alex Kovalev

8458529.jpg

Position: Right Wing

Shoots: Left

Height: 6' 1"

Weight: 225

Born: 24 Feb '73

Born in: Togliatti, Russian Federation (former_USSR)

Drafted: NY Rangers' 1st round choice, 15th overall, in 1991

Acquired: Acquired from NY Rangers on March 2nd, 2004 in return for Jozef Balej and a 2nd round draft pick in 2004 / Signed a four-year contract on August 3, 2005

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

since kovalev has been a hab all us fans have mused on how good he could be if he brought his best game every night. well last year he did it, and not only did we get to see how great it was, HE got to see and feel how great it was. i think kovy is on a mission, he got a sniff last year and hes coming back this year even hungrier. i agree 75, 90 pts is possible if he stays healthy

I believe Kovalev really believes THIS is the possible Cup win he is looking to experience again! Last season we exceeded expectations... BIG TIME. This season we have gotten better, we have developed from within, and we are ready to compete harder in the post-season! Kovalev is going to be very motivated this year. You wait and see. I predict similar regular season numbers, and a bigger playoff performance. Perhaps some more discipline, too! :lol:

Think back 2 season... the lazy guy that complained about everything. yeah, that was Kovy.

I'm glad he had a good season...

I hope for an other great season from our Kovy and I hope to see a contract extension. :D:D

Some how I dont know why but I still hope to see a Koivu/Kovy that works...

I know it hasin't worked to much in the past but theres always hope.

IF he stays health, and IF Pleks/AK47 manage to continue to develop and IF the koivu/tanguay line can keep pressure off of Kovy's line, i think Kovy COULD reach 100 pts.

Because its unlikely that ALL of the above will happen, I believe he will finish the year with a similar 80 - 85 pt season - still great.

Time will tell.

which kovy will we see this year?

This is just my opinion, but I honestly think that Kovalev turned a major corner last summer talking to Gainey and realizing that he needed to change, both as a player and as a person. I believe Kovalev have a similar year to 07-08, not necessarily matching point totals -- he's getting older and his knees are a bit wonky -- but turning in the same consistent effort game after game. I think he'll be good for 70 points at least.

This is just my opinion, but I honestly think that Kovalev turned a major corner last summer talking to Gainey and realizing that he needed to change, both as a player and as a person. I believe Kovalev have a similar year to 07-08, not necessarily matching point totals -- he's getting older and his knees are a bit wonky -- but turning in the same consistent effort game after game. I think he'll be good for 70 points at least.

I agree completely. People seem hesitant to expect good things from Kovalev this season because of his poor season in 06-07. I, too, think he's turned a major corner (not just with MTL) in his career. He loves it here in Montreal, and I fully expect an amazing effort almost every game this season!

Great post. I dont think this was just a quick turnaround to appease his manager and make things more tolerable in Montreal.

Having witnessed the highs and lows and how they correlate with this play, Kovalev is surely aware of his importance to this team. Furthermore, he has said on numerous occasions that he believes this team can contend and that he likes it here and would like to see this through. It being a contract year, Kovalev will be aiming for playoff success and, from what he's said about the city, a few more years in Montreal.

The only thing I'll say about Kovy is that he's one of the few players I've come across in my lifetime that will make me go "WOW, did you see that". He's exciting to watch and I love it when he puts on a stickhandling clinic out there.

My prediction is that he will have the best season of his career this year.

I sure hope he has his best season of his career. Watching him last year, really opened my eyes to how good some players really are. I remember when he scored the two highlight reel goals against Boston in one game, I nearly died.

Will anybody that saw it ever be able to forget that awesome play agaist Boston when he mesmerized them all while retrieving his glove as if it was just a slight inconvenience that hardly slowed him down!???Man that was special!The Ovechkins might have a bag of exciting plays in their arsenal ,but when Kovy plays as intensely as we've come to expect of him,you are definitely in his clutches waiting to be awed by another magical play!And the best thing is,with him it is "just routine".It's like he's telling his opponents"take it away from me if you can because if you don't I'm going to score!" :rolleyes:

Archived