The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#41 - Jaroslav Halak 2008-09

AK-1

everyone here knows that halak is the better goalie. everyone here knows halak has never EVER played a bad game in the nhl. everyone here knows that given a fair chance he would easily be our #1. and sadly everyone here also knows that he will sit on the bench until posterboy (edited) up. which shouldn't be long lol. but not something im hoping for because in the end its all about the team

That is funny, I never knew all this, and I am quite sure I was an everyone !!!

I believe that Halak has the potential to be a number 1 goalie in this league for sure, but to get the starting job here he will have to beat Price for the job. Why don't we sit back and watch how it plays out ? If both goalies play to their potential, we will be the Stanley cup champs.

The way I look at this tandem...I see Dryden/Larocque. Two very capable Number 1s, despite the starting job going to only one, the other is always there ready, pushing, able to step in. Just trolling and throwing tasteless rants will honestly get nothing done.

Halak is capable, and at his best will not only push Price but also benefit the entire team as a contributor to future successes. According to the Gazette article on Carbo, it seems he'll be leading the A Team (with Denis) on the Halifax-Roberval trip. Since it was announced Denis will take the Roberval game as a gesture to the local team he played for, heads up in Halifax for Halak.

I have no problem with Halak. Solid #2 goalie. Potential #1 goalie. Potential trade bait if another backup is part of the package or one of the goalies in the minors is ready for the NHL. If Halak gets less then 20 starts then Price is playing amazing which is GREAT for our team. If Halak gets 30 starts then both goalies are playing good.

I do remember two seasons ago when Halak helped Montreal almost make the playoffs. And who knows how things had been if Halak got the final game of the season against the Leafs rather then Huet. I personally believe Halak was not put into the final game against the Leafs because if he lost his career would have been seriously damaged by the loss.

Halak should gets lots of opportunity in the net if he is on the A squad and Price is on the B squad during pre-season to get rid of the rust.

It would be really nice if the team had a solid chance to win with the backup in goal. I think that when Halak is in net that Montreal has a legitimate chance to win. Great for the team and fans.

I see Halak getting between 25 and 30 games, playing well, and being traded at the trade deadline of the 2009-2010 season... by which time either of Desjardins or Missaian or someone else might be ready for a promotion. He could be traded this year if Marc Denis does very well in Hamilton but I doubt that.

I guess the most we could ever get for Halak is a second round pick.

Says who?

If the backup keeps winning he won't be a backup for a long. :)

It would be nice if it was that simple. A backup goalie does not have the same pressure as the #1 goalie. A backup goalie normally gets the weaker teams. I don't have time to look but I bet the backup to Dryden had some really good numbers. This did not change who the #1 goalie is for the big games and playoffs.

Actually he had a strong first period keeping the score at 1-1 but given the tempo of the game and line match ups both he and Denis were playing in a shooting gallery last night.

At least he got some good practice in net. :lol:

Yeah, I took a quick gander at the highlights on TSN.ca and it looked like there were a lot of odd-man rushes resulting in goals. Fact of the matter is, Montreal's lineup is built on depth... Something we have more of then most teams. If we don't ice a team that takes advantage of that then we will probably lose. Just like last night. Which is fine, because it's pre-season, and we're trying to evaluate guys like Glumac, Anderson, Henry, and co. Halak shouldn't be put under the microscope for last night's game. We already know where he's going to start the season (Price's backup), and it will be up to him when the season gets under way to prove he deserves otherwise.

I hate your comments there your opinion not a fact. If halak is better then why did he play less nhl games in 2 seasons then price in one. Bob gainey and trevor timmins picked the better goalie last season to backup huet.

man finally we agree....why did halak play less nhl games in 2 seasons than price did in one? very good point. because its not a level playing feild!!!! thats why :) price was hand picked, then back handed!!!

man finally we agree....why did halak play less nhl games in 2 seasons than price did in one? very good point. because its not a level playing feild!!!! thats why :) price was hand picked, then back handed!!!

Man, it is starting to sound like the Ryder, Huet, Samsonov, Ribiero threads in here !!!

Was he traded and no one told me ???? :D

You're right, its not a level playing field... nor should it be. A player selected later in the draft is obviously not going to be given the same benefits as a top 5 pick. Teams just don't operate that way. Obviously Price will get a little more slack. The team has a lot invested in him. Halak will be a very capable backup to Price and that should help the team in the long run, knowing that we have a decent shot at a victory, even with the #2 between the pipes. Much better than our Huet/Aebischere (injury prone #1, inconsistant #2) situation, thats for sure.

anyone actually see Halak play last night?

I only saw a couple goals on him, how was he otherwise?

I only saw it on CJAD.COM, the reception was kinda fuzzy !!!!

From what I heard he made some brilliant saves, and really did hold the Bruins at bay for a while.

But they did say three of his goals he would have liked to have back.

I don`t see it as a bad thing, first game of the year, a charged up opponent bent on revenge, and his own rookie laden team with a poor defensive effort. Sounds like the perfect scenario for lots of goals against. Maybe one of the folks who were there can verify.

I only saw it on CJAD.COM, the reception was kinda fuzzy !!!!

From what I heard he made some brilliant saves, and really did hold the Bruins at bay for a while.

But they did say three of his goals he would have liked to have back.

I don`t see it as a bad thing, first game of the year, a charged up opponent bent on revenge, and his own rookie laden team with a poor defensive effort. Sounds like the perfect scenario for lots of goals against. Maybe one of the folks who were there can verify.

I saw the game and thought he looked fine. Halak was peppered with 29 shots and, although shots on goal can be a misleading stat, I can attest that many of the shots came off odd man rushes and one timers off centering passes. Jaro will be fine and last night's thrashing at the hands of the bruins is not a cause for concern on any level.

Would think so, but never know. If Denis or Desjardins are the hotter goalie, might go with them. If you know Carey is going to be your starter, then you have a few games to figure out the backup spot.

Well, the one thing working in Halak's favour (BIG time) is the fact that everyone else is on a two-way/AHL contract. He has an NHL contract and that, to me, says he's playing in the NHL when the season starts. I think the goaltending situation was pre-determined before camp ever started when Halak was signed to that new contract.

You're right, its not a level playing field... nor should it be. A player selected later in the draft is obviously not going to be given the same benefits as a top 5 pick. Teams just don't operate that way. Obviously Price will get a little more slack. The team has a lot invested in him. Halak will be a very capable backup to Price and that should help the team in the long run, knowing that we have a decent shot at a victory, even with the #2 between the pipes. Much better than our Huet/Aebischere (injury prone #1, inconsistant #2) situation, thats for sure.

Glad they didnt make that decision 20'ish years ago with a late round pick named Patrick Roy. Sit on him while another guy with a better draft pick number played in his stead.

Archived