The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#74 - Sergei Kostitsyn 2008-09

AK-1

So will Sergei become an elite two way player or an offensively gifted forward?

I will take either. Pretty good for 200th overall.

since he is both it really comes down to what line he plays on. personally id rather see him stay with saku and add tanguay on the left, i think he has more offensive upside than we realize. i guess it also depends on what carbs wants to do with higgins. he might want the line to be saku higgins tanguay, in which case SK will have a tough time cracking that line. if carbs wants to use higgins as a checker and lats on the 2nd line, i think SK will replace him like AK did last year

So will Sergei become an elite two way player or an offensively gifted forward?

I will take either. Pretty good for 200th overall.

You know what?

You're darn right! :)

This young kid has got to be one of the best late-round choices Montreal has ever made. He really is developing quite nicely, and this season should be another step forward in him being an important part of the Habs' puzzle!

A full season with this guy on our team. I'm excited. I like the fact he doesn't back down from anyone (even if he isn't that big). I love seeing him on the same line as his brother, but at the same time I want to keep the AK46-Pleks-AK27 line as is!

I like him and his brother together too, and although it's tough to break the 1st line from last year up Tanguay does give us some options. Tanguay would look great on that line with Kovalev as the trigger man. Also gives line 2 (say, Kostitsyns and Saku) a true trigger man in Andrei.

I hope he doesn't fight this year. He is a bit to small and there shouldn't be a need with Larque on the team. Last year he got clocked by a real fighter. It's nice that he doesn't back down, but the best payback for a guy like him is to score some goals or set some goals up IMO.

I hope he doesn't fight either, but I hope he doesn't change his style.....I love how he gets under other players skin and the fact that he's such a pesky little player and that he loves to throw his body around as well....his type of style of play reminds me alot of Jarkko Ruutu, other then the fact that Kostitsyn is far more talented, has alot more skill and alot more offensive potential

I hope he doesn't fight this year. He is a bit to small and there shouldn't be a need with Larque on the team. Last year he got clocked by a real fighter. It's nice that he doesn't back down, but the best payback for a guy like him is to score some goals or set some goals up IMO.

I share your concern. Sergei is a bulldog on the ice but I don't want to see him injure himself in a fight when that's what we signed Laraques for.

It is unlikely that our forwards will avoid significant injury like last season and should/if/when one of our top 6 goes down, Sergei may very well get the call.

With the potential to make significant contributions at both ends of the ice, I don't want Sergei going down with an avoidable injury. I have no issue with the physicality in his game, but I don't want him dropping the gloves.

I hope Laraque teaches him a thing or two about scrapping during practices this season. Last year, when he got popped by Redden, he probably felt pretty embarassed. This year I'm sure he's going to have a few fights, and hopefully he handles himself well. :)

LOL i remember that redden episode....haha forget laraques if i was sergei id go find george st pierre and train with him on weekends. first time we play the rangers... wade, big surprise ;)

I hope Laraque teaches him a thing or two about scrapping during practices this season. Last year, when he got popped by Redden, he probably felt pretty embarassed. This year I'm sure he's going to have a few fights, and hopefully he handles himself well. :)

its not his job! I want fighting duties to fall to Georges, Begin and Kostopolous. I dont want a potential top line fill-in breaking a finger in a scrap!

its not his job! I want fighting duties to fall to Georges, Begin and Kostopolous. I dont want a potential top line fill-in breaking a finger in a scrap!

Of course it's not his job, but don't we all love him because he's willing to stand up for himself? :blink::D

Sergei's totally going to have a few scraps this season, and we should hope he doesn't hurt himself. However, if he's going to get busted up I would rather him break a finger on someone else than to have someone break his face with their hand.

With Tanguay in the mix and perhaps another forward, where exactly does Sergei fit in on a regular basis? Perhaps he will not see 82 games as a result.

For arguments sake lets start here... without Sundin

A.Kos-Pleks-Kovy; Tanguay-Koivu-?; ?-Chipchura-Kostopoulos; Lats-Lapierre-Laraque

Higgins? S.Kos? Begin? Dandenault? Perhaps Begin and Dandy, Lats, Lapierre and Laraque share bench warming duties at times... okay

So S.kos either plays 2nd line right wing or 3rd line left wing and/or Higgins vice-versa... unless there is additional movement on the 3rd and 4th lines which I guess is possible with both Chips and Kostopoulos.

Now add Sundin and things get more complicated unless either Chips or Lapierre or Begin are sent down to the minors.

Hard to figure how Carbs says his lines are 99% set and where S.Kos will end up IMO.... And that will determine just how much he can contribute offensively.

Of course it's not his job, but don't we all love him because he's willing to stand up for himself? :blink::D

Sergei's totally going to have a few scraps this season, and we should hope he doesn't hurt himself. However, if he's going to get busted up I would rather him break a finger on someone else than to have someone break his face with their hand.

I'm not suggesting that Sergei shy away from the rough stuff or look to others to fight his battles but I do want him to be smart. I acknowledge that gritty, feisty play is a part of his game but I want him to know that his role on this team is to contribute at both ends of the ice. Sergei will have a huge impact on the success and definition of our third line. Near the end of last year he exhibited a tendency for retaliatory action and if he lets his emotion get the best of him, he will wind up in one of two places 1) the penalty box or 2) the injured list--both places where he will unable to help our team ;)

Sergei's penchant for the rough stuff does make him very endearing to watch.

There should/will be consequences for his actions but I say leave him to play HIS game. I fear that trying to suppress his aggression and his will to stand up for himself might have other negative effects on the rest of his game.

Maturity usually does a good job on these kinds of situations (or not! Kovalev still takes a dumb retaliatory penalty once in a while), we just have to be a little patient.

As for the upcoming season, 2nd or 3rd line, I'm sure Sergei will excel at whatever role he is given and it will contribute to his development as a core Canadiens player for years to come.

Still I will say he breaks the 50 point barrier this year.

I'm not suggesting that Sergei shy away from the rough stuff or look to others to fight his battles but I do want him to be smart. I acknowledge that gritty, feisty play is a part of his game but I want him to know that his role on this team is to contribute at both ends of the ice. Sergei will have a huge impact on the success and definition of our third line. Near the end of last year he exhibited a tendency for retaliatory action and if he lets his emotion get the best of him, he will wind up in one of two places 1) the penalty box or 2) the injured list--both places where he will unable to help our team ;)

Good points. ;)

Hopefully Carbonneau keeps him on a leash (somewhat) regarding those matters. I didn't notice the retaliatory action last season, but I don't doubt that a player so young with such a feisty attitude would be susceptible to those actions. Hopefully he learns a new level of calmness this season when encountering physical play. Know when to use it, know when not to! :)

WOW!!! I think that the Sergei will be one of the most important players on the team this season. Looks great on the PP at the point. Fast. Not afraid to run over a player. His brother is very good but I would not be shocked if within 2 years Sergei is getting more points and better plus/minus.

I think that the bros will each score in the same game many times. Many there should be a poll as to how many times.

Archived