The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#13 - Alex Tanguay 2008-09

AK-1

ive read a few times on this forum that tangs was a throw away from cgy. i dont agree at all , i always liked this guy, i think he will fit in nicely here and not only get somewhere around 70 pts, but he will help saku get close to that too. almost forgotten in the frenzy of sundin speculation, but i think we are going to love this guy by the time the seasons over

McKeen's hockey guide has him as our number 2 scoring forward this season. Just under 1ppg. I wonder if he can live up to those expectations. I know he probably isn't feeling it yet, but there's going to be pressure on him to perform. The good thing is we have excellent depth, so there won't be TOO much pressure on Tanguay. However, he had better be ready to start shooting the puck more. :lol:

McKeen's hockey guide has him as our number 2 scoring forward this season. Just under 1ppg. I wonder if he can live up to those expectations. I know he probably isn't feeling it yet, but there's going to be pressure on him to perform. The good thing is we have excellent depth, so there won't be TOO much pressure on Tanguay. However, he had better be ready to start shooting the puck more. :lol:

:lol:

he did mention in his early interviews that he was aware of the pressure and that he recognizes what it means to play for his hometown crowd in montreal. he may not be fully prepared for it but i think he knew what he was signing up for when he waived his ntc.

I liked what I saw from him when he played for the Avs (didn't watch many Flames games). I like his attitude so far. Let's hope it works out for him here.

I don't want to read the word "samsonov" in this topic (besides this one time I mentioned the word) :unsure:

i seriously doubt you'll get to read the 's' word in here, not when it comes to work ethics and attitude anyway. then again, you may get to read it as an illustration to put emphasis on the differences between 's' and 't' (other than one comes before the other lol)

i seriously doubt you'll get to read the 's' word in here, not when it comes to work ethics and attitude anyway. then again, you may get to read it as an illustration to put emphasis on the differences between 's' and 't' (other than one comes before the other lol)

;)

let's hope so.

man, we have a good team this season..I am so excited!!

He's a damn good top 6 winger, there's no doubt about it, but some of the predictions I've read from members are unrealistic.

The guy isn't a sniper, he's likely not going to score 40 goals (he's never even scored 30 and he did play on a line with Forsberg.)

He's not going to win the Selke or be a physical presence at all and he probably is a bit overpaid (not that it really matters on a 1 year deal).

But he's a major upgrade over what we've had in the last 10 years, he gives us another scoring threat, and finally gives us the potential to have 2 truly competent scoring lines going at the sametime. I expect he'll end up between 65-75 points with between 20-25 goals.

Tanguay's best overall performance on the statsheet including playoffs was in 2000-2001

He scored 27 goals, added 50 assists and was a +35 in 82 regular season games... he added 6 goals, 15 assists and was a +13 in 23 playoff games.

He has always been a plus player, which to me means he is able to play a two-way game efficiently.

His first year with the Flames he was G22, A59 and +12... last year G18, A40 +11.

He is not that big and is actually lighter (189lbs) than all other forwards on the Habs with the exception of Begin and Koivu.

He is not a major physical presence and does not hit much.

I'm happy he is a Hab, but am not convinced he will be an impact player of star quality... we'll see.

Is it confirmed that Alex will get #13? If so, I've totally missed it.

So is it confirmed that Tanguay is wearing no.13?

This all hinges on Sundin.

Sundin comes = Tanguay will choose another number

Sundin does not come = Tanguay will wear #13

---

So this number talk is all unconfirmed for now. It could change but it might not. Again, only Mr. Sundin holds the key to the puzzle.

This all hinges on Sundin.

Sundin comes = Tanguay will choose another number

Sundin does not come = Tanguay will wear #13

---

So this number talk is all unconfirmed for now. It could change but it might not. Again, only Mr. Sundin holds the key to the puzzle.

yep he is still waiting to see what Sundin decides :angry:

no Sundin he will take #13

with Sundin :rolleyes: he will take #81

He's a damn good top 6 winger, there's no doubt about it, but some of the predictions I've read from members are unrealistic.

The guy isn't a sniper, he's likely not going to score 40 goals (he's never even scored 30 and he did play on a line with Forsberg.)

He's not going to win the Selke or be a physical presence at all and he probably is a bit overpaid (not that it really matters on a 1 year deal).

But he's a major upgrade over what we've had in the last 10 years, he gives us another scoring threat, and finally gives us the potential to have 2 truly competent scoring lines going at the sametime. I expect he'll end up between 65-75 points with between 20-25 goals.

I think his point totals will totally depend on where he plays.

I think that the Kostit-Pleks-Kovalev line will get prime ice time - the tanguay-koivu-? line is likely going to end up with less ice time & worse matchups, so his potential for points may be less. And lets face it, a 75pt koivu will mean different totals for Tanguay than a 60pt Koivu, so a lot is going to end up with how he centre plays (heck, it might be sundin, or someone on another team, for all we know).

Will be interesting but depending upon his ice time / line mates I can see his totals being anywhere from about 60pts to upwards of 80. Anything less than 60 will be a disappointment, imho.

Hmm I havn't watched many of his games, but I'm wondering, is his style similar to Marc Savard? That's the first comparison that comes to my mind, but I may be wrong.

Savard is a center, not a winger, and Tanguay is a better skater. I can't see that much similarity except that both men have good vision and can find their linemates with crisp passes.

Archived