The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Toronto Maple Leafs 08-09

Johnny_rudeboy

I dislike the Leafs but I want them to get better just because right now they suck so much they bring shame on all of Canada. I also wish the team would pass to the ownership of a single guy like the way Montreal is owned by Gillette. It's lame the way that union treats it like a business just there to be milked for money instead of like the proud hockey franchise it is. Then both teams could be really good and the rivalry could get back to the way it was and is supposed to be. *dreaming" Montreal meets Toronto in the conference finals and take it to seven games and wins in the third overtime of the final game*.

This team has NOTHING. But they do have just enough to get them far away enough from the first several draft picks. Vesa Toskala will probably become addicted to alcohol. I'd imagine that Kaberle will be named captain in the coming weeks, who else is gonna get it? Antropoop?

I can't WAIT for Oct 11th when we slaughter these Laffs at that ugly Airplane Hangar called the ACC. It's gonna be a loooong season for Laffs Nation :)

This team has NOTHING. But they do have just enough to get them far away enough from the first several draft picks. Vesa Toskala will probably become addicted to alcohol. I'd imagine that Kaberle will be named captain in the coming weeks, who else is gonna get it? Antropoop?

I can't WAIT for Oct 11th when we slaughter these Laffs at that ugly Airplane Hangar called the ACC. It's gonna be a loooong season for Laffs Nation :)

Contradiction out there ?

p.s Pavel Kubina is the next captain.

I dislike the Leafs but I want them to get better just because right now they suck so much they bring shame on all of Canada.

They've been shaming Canada for over 40 years now ( and i love it). :P

Does anyone else get the feeling that Kaberle might be next to go in T-O? He was already part of deadline rumours last season, going to the Flyers for Carter and a 1st...I wouldn't be all that surprised if he goes...It's going to be an ongoing storyline for sure.

I think they're gonna hang on to him. Young, signed and good value for the money. He's the type of player you want when you rebuild. He might even be a strong candidate for Captain of that sorry mess of a team. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Training Camp Moves

First Cut - 13 players

Forwards Brent Aubin, Darryl Boyce, Stefano Giliati, Kyle Rogers, Dan Rudisuela, Greg Scott, Tim Stapleton, defencemen Scott Langdon, Phil Oreskovic, Juha Uotila, and goaltenders Adam Munro, Michael Ouzas and James Reimer have all been assigned to the Toronto Marlies of the American Hockey League.

Source: http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/team/app?article...mp;service=page

Second Cut - 8 players

Forwards Bates Battaglia, Andre Deveaux, Alex Foster, Kris Newbury, Ben Ondrus, and defencemen Josef Boumedienne and Jaime Sifers have all been assigned to the Toronto Marlies of the American Hockey League.

Chris DiDomenico (DEE-DOH-menacoh) was returned to the QMJHL’s Saint John Sea Dogs

Source: http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/team/app/?servic...rticleid=384047

Training Camp Moves

First Cut - 13 players

Forwards Brent Aubin, Darryl Boyce, Stefano Giliati, Kyle Rogers, Dan Rudisuela, Greg Scott, Tim Stapleton, defencemen Scott Langdon, Phil Oreskovic, Juha Uotila, and goaltenders Adam Munro, Michael Ouzas and James Reimer have all been assigned to the Toronto Marlies of the American Hockey League.

Source: http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/team/app?article...mp;service=page

Second Cut - 8 players

Forwards Bates Battaglia, Andre Deveaux, Alex Foster, Kris Newbury, Ben Ondrus, and defencemen Josef Boumedienne and Jaime Sifers have all been assigned to the Toronto Marlies of the American Hockey League.

Chris DiDomenico (DEE-DOH-menacoh) was returned to the QMJHL’s Saint John Sea Dogs

Source: http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/team/app/?servic...rticleid=384047

They need to cut about 25 more IMO. :lol::lol::lol:

Leafs enforcer Ryan Hollweg

Apparently he likes to hit from behind - as we all remember what he did last year to to SK - I would like to see him try it again this year with GL in the lineup

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Hockey/article/510907

Leafs' Hollweg needs to tone it down

Wilson says too much fighting means less time for new Leaf to do his job being an 'irritant'

Paul Hunter

SPORTS REPORTER

Here is Ryan Hollweg's exhibition box score: Six fights, no wins.

It's been an odd, almost comical, display of pugilism from a winger who really isn't in a fight for a job on the Maple Leafs. The 25-year-old, one who boasts of playing "on the edge," isn't going anywhere.

On a Toronto team that was notoriously soft to play against last season – coach Ron Wilson conceded yesterday that team toughness might still be "a concern" – Hollweg brings a sandpaper attitude that will keep him valuable here.

He's certainly willing to take one for the team. Then another, then another ...

But Wilson has already suggested he "tone it down a little bit." Hollweg has a pitbull's tenacity, admirable speed and obvious fearlessness on the forecheck, attributes wasted in the penalty box.

"We want him to not fight as much and try to stay on the ice a little bit more because he's a real irritant when he's finishing checks," said Wilson. "He doesn't step on the ice looking for a fight. He's hitting everybody and they come looking for him."

Say this for Toronto's diminutive new speed bag: Along with the no wins, Hollweg has shown no quit. He doesn't back down.

"I'm not trying to take penalties, I'm trying to play aggressive," he said.

"Obviously, there'll be times I feel we need a spark. It might be a fight, a big hit, it could be me skating well and getting a good forecheck. There's many things I can do. If guys on the other team get frustrated with the way I play and want to step up with me, I've got to be ready to answer the bell as well."

The mess Wednesday against the St. Louis Blues was a perfect example of how Hollweg sees his role. The team came out incredibly flat. Hollweg tried to boost them while reminding the Blues that Toronto, contrary to appearances in a 7-3 loss, wasn't just going to roll over.

"It didn't matter what the score was, I just wanted to leave a message on the ice because we'll see these guys again soon (at home on Oct. 13). If they're thinking about me next game, that's in our favour," he said.

Hollweg ended up in three fights that night, losing all three. Though he argues the results are open to interpretation.

"I had three guys jump me," he said by way of an explanation, though his reckless hits from behind seemed an invitation to retribution.

"I'm not here to fight every night. I'm here to play my game, my style and if that consists of having a fight because I'm finishing checks, then I'm going to do it. If there's a guy that's taking runs at our guys, I'll definitely be one of the first guys that'll step in. I don't care how big anybody else is. I'm here to protect my teammates."

Hollweg is listed at 5-foot-11, 210 pounds, though he seems smaller. For now, the Leafs have no plans to bring in a heavyweight so, unless fighting miraculously disappears from the game, Hollweg will be called on again.

"A lot of times, that's just sideshow – heavyweight fights heavyweight. What's that got to do with the game?" said Wilson.

"If you've just got a guy who plays two or three minutes and can't skate or do anything, I don't know if that serves a purpose. We'll see how our team is this year and if we have to address that we will."

For now, Wilson continues to address team toughness, an aspect of Toronto's game that might improve once it dresses its full lineup and becomes less of a concern when opposition tough guys aren't trying to prove themselves in exhibition play.

http://spectorshockey.net/index.php?option...4&Itemid=55

Four on Waivers.

Written by Lyle Richardson

Monday, 06 October 2008 17:35

TSN.CA: reports the Toronto Maple Leafs have placed forward Mark Bell on waivers, while the Calgary Flames have placed defensemen Rhett Warrener and Anders Eriksson and forward Jamie Lundmark on waivers.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: All four could end up demoted to the minors should they clear, the latter three especially as the Flames have to cut payroll to get under the salary cap.

Looks like the Mark bell era is over in Toronto.

Leafs' Hollweg suspended for two games

TORONTO – Toronto Maple Leafs left wing Ryan Hollweg has automatically been suspended for two games, without pay, as a result of being assessed his third Game Misconduct within 41 games in the Boarding/Checking from Behind category, the National Hockey League announced today. He was assessed Game Misconducts under Rule 44.5 - Checking from Behind, in NHL Game #619 (Jan. 5 vs. Edmonton) and Game #797 (Feb. 3 vs. Montreal) in 2007-08 and under Rule 42.5 - Boarding, in the Oct. 1, 2008 pre-season game vs. St. Louis.

According to Rule 23.5, having incurred three Game Misconducts within 41 games, Hollweg is automatically suspended for the Maple Leafs' first two regular season games of the 2008-09 season - Oct. 9 at Detroit and Oct. 11 vs. Montreal.

Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, and based on his average annual salary, Hollweg will forfeit $5,510.76. The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=385179

I'm going to say, Toronto played well tonight and I honestly enjoyed the game (wish I hadn't fallen asleep mid game though) I'll even admit, I was cheering for them given all the problems that have taken place for the Leafs, the rookies needed this impressive morale boost. I suppose they learned from us to build on a young roster and not trade for a Stanley Cup run. :P

Regardless could be a good season for Toronto and I'm glad to see it.

Boy did I bet on the wrong horse tonight....what the heck is going on???!!!! :unsure:

Toronto is not a terrible team. They have a potentially very good goaltender, a fairly strong defense, and some young offensive talent. Of course the outcome is surprising, but I don't think Toronto is as bad as some people are thinking.

sweet job with signing joseph...not.

they should of just went with toskola and pogge

I don't really get the logic in bringing in a veteran backup when you are not a playoff team and have a good prospect: give him the experience.

lol Toronto is not a great team, don't judge them on tonight performance, looks like Detroit have a little problem to get that special chemistry back (we did beat them twice during the pre season)

Ill give Detroit a week to get the machine started.

And ill give Toronto a month for the boat to sink (Don't forget they're a young team, they're gonna be all hype up at the beginning of the season, then look out for the iceberg.)

Archived