The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Tampa Bay Lightning 08-09

Johnny_rudeboy

a million forwards, the same defense that sucked last year (except for the pickup from Ottawa. But they lost their only "hitter" in Picard in the deal), and a 2nd year goalie backing up Kolzig whos best years are behind him.

= a formula for success :lol: I wonder if they watched this

yet... if they did, that explains alot :lol:

Do you not understand what they are trying to do ?

They are trying to match up against our team.

They are building to outscore us !!!

They do not understand what many do not understand. Even many here don't get it sometimes.

We are not a run and gun team, we can play a decent defensive game. In fact, our offense is a direct result of paying attention to the other details of the game. While we still have a way to go in this regard, but it is doing the little things away from the puck which has propelled our turn around.

If the brain trust in Tampa think all they have to do is out score us, they have another thing coming.

Do you not understand what they are trying to do ?

They are trying to match up against our team.

They are building to outscore us !!!

They do not understand what many do not understand. Even many here don't get it sometimes.

We are not a run and gun team, we can play a decent defensive game. In fact, our offense is a direct result of paying attention to the other details of the game. While we still have a way to go in this regard, but it is doing the little things away from the puck which has propelled our turn around.

If the brain trust in Tampa think all they have to do is out score us, they have another thing coming.

And, as far as the "run", Recchi and Roberts are a little slow these days.

You're right of course, re: the Habs. The intial focus was on defense, seemingly started 2-3 season ago; ("exciting") offense took hold last season.

a million forwards, the same defense that sucked last year (except for the pickup from Ottawa. But they lost their only "hitter" in Picard in the deal), and a 2nd year goalie backing up Kolzig whos best years are behind him.

:huh: Shane O'Brien is by FAR the toughest defenseman in Tampa

guys don't forget Michel Ouellet and Jussi Jokinen are likely to be traded for defensemans.

:huh: Shane O'Brien is by FAR the toughest defenseman in Tampa

guys don't forget Michel Ouellet and Jussi Jokinen are likely to be traded for defensemans.

Yeah. But shane has a very quick temper. And because of it, he finds himself in the box often. It is easy for an irritator to get under his skin and draw a minor and even get a 5 or 10 min penalty against him. I see it happen often down here.

And they better start trading for defensemen, because as predicted their goalies are facing tons of shots. Ramo faced 45 shots from the Rangers last night while getting the 4-2 win. Smith faced 40 shots the other night against the rangers. Last year, it was the goalie letting in goals while facing 30 shots or less.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=388021

"Press Release" and not an objective reporting.

I would expect Brian Lawton knows what he getting into with these two owners. It sounds like the three are on the same page (in this PR), but I sure didn't like the stuff he was doing in the offseason (signing players based on his own heyday (Recchi and Roberts) :lol: -- I mean, it looked to me like he was collecting my '80's hockey cards!! :lol: ).

I wish him the best, but am really only expecting the worst. ;)

7 games in, and Tampa's digging themselves some hole:

• 11 goals (that's the entire team) in the 7 games
  • Roberts and Stamkos: 0 points; Malone 1 point (no Crosby to set him up anymore)
  • Recchi: 2 points, but leads the team at -4
  • Roberts seeing limited 4th line play (8 minutes a game) -- how much are they paying this guy? $2.4MM !! :blink: (as he sits on the bench counting it :D )
This team is looking scary bad. I mean, you put two guys each on Lecavalier and St. Louis, and you're done your checking assignments for the game. Ottawa's got a similar problem; big drop off after three guys there.

I was at the game last night. One would swear the tampa players had never met before 730 last night. And each was given a different playbook. Except for thier goalie, Smith, from puck drop to the final horn, this team did nothing but suck. More giveaways then a church raffle. And not one time did you get the feeling the team was about to wake up. They had 22 SOG's and maybe 1 was a threat to score. Meanwhile, Smith stood on his head to keep it from being 6-0 or worse.

They were the biggest bunch of sucks to ever suck that bad. Guess they can thank melrose for his awesome coaching.

• 2 weeks later...
I bet Lecavalier is really regretting that contract extension.
.... and maybe Stamkos too, as the #1 pick (how exciting !!). I was worried he'd be cast a couple of wingers that the new GM was picking up for far too much money this summer.

Looks like Stamkos is stuck playing with Roberts (no points in 11 games) and Vrbata (1 point in 5 games); 4th line minutes. New coach Melrose knows he has a job cut out, and hasn't the patience to groom Stamkos. <_<

(Last overheard on ice at latest Tampa game -- Stamkos (skating up ice with puck): "Hey, Gary where are ya! Get up here and give me someone to pass the puck to, will ya!" as Roberts struggles to catch-up .... :D )

Hard to waive a guy (Roberts) earning $2.4MM with no points and playing 4th line -- 10 minutes a game. (That's like $4.8MM per season, since he's only playing 1/2 minutes! :D )

.... and maybe Stamkos too, as the #1 pick (how exciting !!). I was worried he'd be cast a couple of wingers that the new GM was picking up for far too much money this summer.

Looks like Stamkos is stuck playing with Roberts (no points in 11 games) and Vrbata (1 point in 5 games); 4th line minutes. New coach Melrose knows he has a job cut out, and hasn't the patience to groom Stamkos. <_<

(Last overheard on ice at latest Tampa game -- Stamkos (skating up ice with puck): "Hey, Gary where are ya! Get up here and give me someone to pass the puck to, will ya!" as Roberts struggles to catch-up .... :D )

Hard to waive a guy (Roberts) earning $2.4MM with no points and playing 4th line -- 10 minutes a game. (That's like $4.8MM per season, since he's only playing 1/2 minutes! :D )

why did they even bring him in?

meh not my team.

• 1 month later...
I have a feeling Sean Avery might end up in Tampa, especially after Radim Vrbata is heading home. The cap space is there and I wouldn't be surprised if they pick him off waivers or something...

Right with the 2 main superstars of the club being french canadian.

Im sure Vinny and Marty would love to read your post and have a good laugh.

Archived