The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Pittsburgh Penguins 08-09

Johnny_rudeboy

• 2 weeks later...

Training Camp Cuts:

First Cut - 9 players

Six players, forwards Luca Caputi, Joe Haddad, Dustin Jeffrey, Nick Johnson and Mark Letestu along with defenseman Jonathan D’Aversa, have been assigned to the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins.

The Penguins have re-assigned Alex Grant and Keven Veilleux to the St. John’s Sea Dogs and Rimouski Oceanic of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (QMJHL) and Casey Pierro-Zabotel to Vancouver Giants of the Western Hockey League (WHL).

Source: http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app?articleid...mp;service=page

Second Cut - 13 Players

Thirteen players, forwards Kris Beech, Ryan Stone, Adam Henrich, Aaron Boogaard, Tim Wallace, Jonathan Filewich, David Gove, Connor James and Christopher Minard; defensemen Deryk Engelland, T.J. Kemp, Ben Lovejoy, Danny Richmond and Joey Mormina and goaltender David Brown, have been assigned to the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins.

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app?articleid...mp;service=page

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app?articleid...mp;service=page

Defensemen Sergei Gonchar and Ryan Whitney remain injured.

• 1 month later...

A few big injuries for the Pens this season. I don't think that they'll have the same results as they had last year through their injuries. It's a different team this year, last season they had a lot of good players and depth. Conklin came in and keep them winning games, along with Malkin. I doubt they'll do the same this season, they don't have the depth. They lost some key player over the summer and that deal to get Hossa, might be hitting em sooner than expected.

• 3 weeks later...
A few big injuries for the Pens this season. I don't think that they'll have the same results as they had last year through their injuries. It's a different team this year, last season they had a lot of good players and depth. Conklin came in and keep them winning games, along with Malkin. I doubt they'll do the same this season, they don't have the depth. They lost some key player over the summer and that deal to get Hossa, might be hitting em sooner than expected.

They have a record of 7 wins and 1 OT loss in the month of November giving them a 12-4-3 record which ranks them 5th in the NHL. Pretty good considering they have done it without Gonchar, Whitney (who is close to returning) and a number of other key players.

Penguins center Max Talbot has an injured left foot

The Pittsburgh Penguins recalled forward Janne Pesonen from their Wilkes-Barre/Scranton farm club for Friday night's game in Buffalo. Penguins center Max Talbot has an injured left foot, so Pesonen was brought up for the second time this month to fill a roster spot. Pesonen made his NHL debut Nov. 1 in St. Louis, but did not score.

Pesonen, from Finland, has five goals and 16 assists in 19 games at Wilkes-Barre, Pittsburgh's AHL farm club. He had 78 points in 56 games last season in the Finnish Elite League.

Source: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=394909

• 3 weeks later...

Jaromir Jagr said he has no designs on returning to the NHL in the short term, but if he ever did return he would be happy to go back to the Pittsburgh Penguins to play for his former idol, Mario Lemieux.

“I was thinking about it and if Mario would call me and say, ‘I’d like you to play for our team,’ I would think about it a lot,” Jagr said in a telephone interview from Moscow where the Kontinental League will hold its inaugural All-Star Game outdoors at Red Square Saturday. “I would play for the minimum salary. I would play for $350,000 just for him because I owe him my hockey life. I want to pay him back because he has made me what I am…besides my parents.”

Jagr went after a multimillion dollar deal in the KHL and would now play in Pittsburgh for 350K - nice try but I do not really believe it. Besides the fact that it is highly unlikely as it would be a breach of contract.

On to other news:

Fedotenko breaks hand; out 4-6 weeks

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=403178

Fedotenko has 11 goals and 10 assists and has provided some good secondary scoring for Pittsburgh.

With the way the Penguins are struggling they cannot afford to lose another player to injury.

I hate how coaches are judged base on record to such a degree. Always at the end of the year the Jack A Award is handed to the guy who won a lot of games or exceeded expectations.

In what universe is that a critical exmaination of his direct coaching skills? For all we know Barry Trotz is the best coach in the NHL, but if Nashville doesn't get 95 points or have some sort of miracle season, the way he handles his team will get no credit.

How do you explain the breakdown in Pittsburgh right now?

Seems to me the best explanation is player rebellion against coach, well discussed.

The team with Fleury, Crosby and Malkin is 10th in the eastern conference. They were 1st last year, when Crosby was out for half a season. Don't try and tell me Colby Armstrong is that good.

How do you explain the breakdown in Pittsburgh right now?

Seems to me the best explanation is player rebellion against coach, well discussed.

The team with Fleury, Crosby and Malkin is 10th in the eastern conference. They were 1st last year, when Crosby was out for half a season. Don't try and tell me Colby Armstrong is that good.

Thats the point though its the same coach.

I attribute the Pittsburgh situation to no secondary scoring and poor defense.

Archived