The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Ottawa Senators 08-09

Johnny_rudeboy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

D-saster for Senators

"Last night's game seemed to reflect the way a lot of people regard these two teams: The Canadiens with a lot of speed and skill and the Senators with some questions about how their re-tooled blue line will be able to come together.

The answer last night was not the one the Senators wanted."

from: http://ottsun.canoe.ca/Sports/Senators/200...898926-sun.html

As I've said, the Sens won't be a formidable threat to the Habs and Pens in the Eastern Conference:

• The D is clearly suspect; you don't slot Smith and Richardson, and some young'uns in your top six, and say "OK, all set to go!" -- if they are after Canucks' Ohlund, I am not sure what they are going to offer
  • After "the big three" up front (and they are a venerable threesome), scoring punch really wains; look at the stats the past few season (50+ point guys, etc.)
  • I'll take Carey over Gerber, and Halak over Auld, any/every day of the week.

D-saster for Senators

"Last night's game seemed to reflect the way a lot of people regard these two teams: The Canadiens with a lot of speed and skill and the Senators with some questions about how their re-tooled blue line will be able to come together.

The answer last night was not the one the Senators wanted."

from: http://ottsun.canoe.ca/Sports/Senators/200...898926-sun.html

As I've said, the Sens won't be a formidable threat to the Habs and Pens in the Eastern Conference:

• The D is clearly suspect; you don't slot Smith and Richardson, and some young'uns in your top six, and say "OK, all set to go!" -- if they are after Canucks' Ohlund, I am not sure what they are going to offer
  • After "the big three" up front (and they are a venerable threesome), scoring punch really wains; look at the stats the past few season (50+ point guys, etc.)
  • I'll take Carey over Gerber, and Halak over Auld, any/every day of the week.

I dont even think the Penguins are a top contender anymore. Satan may do well with Crosby but as with Ottawa their d is completely questionable. Darryl Sydor, a guy that was benched for the entire playoffs is now in their top 4 and maybe their top unit with Whitney gone until December and Gonchar's shoulder in disarray.

If he doesn't come back and play well the Pens will be in deep trouble and will finish around the 5th-7th positions in my opinoin.

The Flyers are going to win that divison blindfolded barring injuries to key players.

It seems that the Sens are self destructing here. Something is fundamentally wrong in that dressing room, and it goes deeper than just Emery. I honestly think they'll miss the playoffs. They have the talent, so teams shouldn't get to cocky because they could just as easily win the conference. But it seems like they've lost their confidence and won't go anywhere. Could be huge shakeups next offseason.

• 3 weeks later...
it's still early, but these guys could be in trouble.

While management may hate this, they may consider trading one of the big 3 if it can net them some defense, depth and goaltending.

They need dependable D in a bad way. Maybe look for a blockbuster trade involving Spezza with Vancouver who need scoring. But then again, Ottawa only has three forwards who can score (!!?). Oh, stinks to be a Sen fan these days. ;)

Must be tough for a Canadian sportswriter to always delve up nice things to say about each of the Canadian teams -- play to the intended audience.

Take Mike Brophy, for example:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2008/11/03/...canadian_watch/

Which includes the gem: "The Sens are completely out of whack, but there is too much talent here and Craig Hartsburg is too good a coach for it to continue this way."

To which "Badge" replies on-line: "Regarding your last line on the Sens - it's continued for 72 games running now - what makes you think it will stop any time soon?"

:lol::D:lol: (that's an 'oops', Broph!!) :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

According to TSN.ca, Ruutu's elbow on Lapierre is under review by the league. I am sure he deserves a suspension, as it was a blatant attempt to injure Lapierre. Whether or not Lapierre suffered an injury, the intent was the same. I hope Ruutu gets suspended, and let's see those Ottawa chumps respond to the media when it happens.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Oh man, did anyone see the jerseys they had on a few nights ago. The ugliest things I have ever seen. Black with the word, "Sens," sprawled across the front.

U-gly!

Couldn't agree more. You might find Dave Hodge's take on the whole 3rd Jersey thing amusing, here's a video link (forward to 2:17)

http://watch.tsn.ca/the-reporters/the-repo...008/#clip117255

• 1 month later...
They may as well settle on rebuilding the team from the ground up.

Might aswell.

3rd from the bottom in the whole league.

I'd be inclined to trade Heatley or/and Spezza to either NYI or Atlanta for their first round pick.

Get Johnny T.

Hire Pat Quinn as coach.

Go from there.

P.S.

I think it would honestly be ashame if Tavares gets sent to a medicore franchise, whose city has no interest in hockey. IE: Atlanta, NYI, TB, Nashville, even St. Louis. He'll never get the praise he deserves with the lack of interest and the Crosby mania.

In hindsight, it's clear that choosing Redden over Chara was a colossal, us-trading-Chelios-type mistake that set the franchise back years, possibly a decade. But Murray certainly didn't help by systematically getting rid of every good puck-moving defenseman they had in favor of that much-ballyhooed but materially useless attribute: grit. :rolleyes: Chara, Corvo, Redden, Preissing, Meszaros: all puck-movers, all gone. Now their top two d-men are two stay-at-home types (Philips and Volchenkov), while Kuba is really only useful on the power play. They don't have anyone to make that good first pass out of the zone, which is why they can't score.

Then there's the ludicrous contract given to Mike "we love good ol' Canadian boys" Fisher: $6 million for a mediocre second-line player who so far has a sparkling 4 goals and 10 assists in 38 GP this season. If Fisher were European, he'd have already been run out of town on a rail, but hey, he's a good Canadian boy, so fans continue to find excuses for why it's acceptable to pay him $6 million just to work hard.

The final dagger is goaltending. You think Ray Emery isn't snickering just a bit at their situation in nets? Despite all the media blather, it seems like Emery wasn't the cause of all the Senators' problems after all! :D Gerber has been his usual inconsistent self, Auld is a career backup, and Elliott is still raw. I've been following the Senators for 10 years now and they have never had a season during that time in which there wasn't some massive issue surrounding their goaltending.

Murray has been abysmal as their GM, he needs to go, and the org needs to accept that it missed its window of opportunity with the current group, trade away one or more of the Big Three for picks and prospects, and rebuild.

The thing with Gerber is hes actually a pretty good goalie, hes just on a terrible team and even a worse one defensively.

I would guarantee if he was playing for the Habs all year his SV% would be anywhere from .915-.920.

really?? ive always thought he was ok...not someone id go out and sign for the amount they paid...truth is, they should have stuck with emery he brought them all the way to the finals and then they went and got gerber... :blink:...why not sign a decent back up and let emery have the goal...he proved it...as soon as they did that it just showed him the club had no interest in him, they just used him and rode him like a magic carpet and thats it...which is sad...he coulda been good for them...thats my opinion though...

Archived