The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

New York Rangers 08-09

Johnny_rudeboy

• 2 weeks later...

Brendan Shanahan has been given an open invitation to tryout with the New York Rangers

Free-agent forward Brendan Shanahan has been given an open invitation to tryout with the New York Rangers but the veteran winger has yet to take the team up on the offer.

''Brendan is welcome, I've told him that before and I'm going to call him again to make sure he knows that.'' general manager Glen Sather told the New York Post.

''I'm not in a position to offer a contract at this time, but that does not mean it can't happen or won't happen after we evaluate what we have here.''

Source: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=250393&amp...s=headlines_nhl

Rangers cut Nedved

"Petr Nedved's bid to come back to the NHL after a year playing in Europe ended Friday when the New York Rangers released the 36-year-old forward from his tryout. Nedved tied for the team lead with two goals and three points in three preseason games this week, but was let go one day before the Rangers were to face New Jersey in their final exhibition contest in North America."

Source: http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/8611100...gers-cut-Nedved

Training Camp Cuts

First Cut

The club has assigned forward Evgeny Grachev to the Hartford Wolf Pack of the American Hockey League (AHL), defensemen Michael Del Zotto and Tomas Kundratek were returned to their respective junior clubs, and defensemen David Stich was released from his try-out agreement.

Source: http://rangers.nhl.com/team/app?articleid=...mp;service=page

Second Cut

The club has released forward Petr Nedved from his try-out agreement and reassigned the following 16 players to Hartford (AHL): goaltender Matt Zaba; defensemen Mike Busto, Vladimir Denisov, Bobby Sanguinetti, and Mike Sauer; and forwards Artem Anisimov, Joe Barnes, Dane Byers, Brodie Dupont, Ryan Hillier, Andreas Jamtin, Greg Moore, Tom Pyatt, Justin Soryal, Dale Weise, and Tomas Zaborsky.

Source: http://rangers.nhl.com/team/app?articleid=...mp;service=page

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

How do you give up 10 short-handed goals in 33 games? :blink:

That's not the sign of a Cup contender.

Mats Sundin's (prospective) new team:

• #30 in short-handed goals against
  • #27 in 5-on-5 hockey
  • #23 in powerplay (but that sure beats MTL's #29!! :lol: )
  • #1 PK (outstanding 90%)
  • given up more goals than they've scored
It'll be interesting to see how Sundin helps, given their poor D and propensity (Gomez) to cough up the puck. I assume Roszival will be lost to that D as well. Yikes!

I would still venture that NYR will be one series and out come play-offs -- I would still bet on BOS, MTL, PIT, NJD all handling them. Maybe add WAS to that list too, but that one would be really close.

They still have to move something to make that move, so will see what it is.
Yeah, I still don't see how Roszival for Avery works, unless Avery's salary as an AHL player (where he'd be going) wouldn't count against the cap. Sundin's gonna be taking a haircut, that's for sure.

With Roszival gone, Mara goes to # 3 D :blink: , this Corey Potter goes into the line-up on the last pairing (grand total of 1 NHL game experience):

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8470714

Interesting to hear last week that Habs were split on selecting Price or Marc Staal in the draft when Price was selected. Right decision, in the end! Timmins had the straw vote and picked Price as "more upside." :D

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Apparently, the Rangers fans aren't exactly satisfied with Gomez' performance this year.

I just found this little 'Free Nachos Strategy Guide' for him, obviously conceptualized by a disappointed fan whose sense of humour still seems to be intact:

deargominusma6.jpg

I was just wondering why they left that poor goaltender in for all 10 goals. Ouch!
Steve Valiquette was the goalie and he was pretty good according to the numbers in the first two periods: down only 4-2 while getting outshot 30-16... then things fell apart in the third, but to be fair, 3 of the 6 goals -- on only 9 shots -- were on the PP...

Third Period

Dallas 4:15, Jere Lehtinen 6 (Mike Ribeiro)

Dallas 10:46, Fabian Brunnstrom 11 (Mike Modano, Andrew Hutchinson)

Dallas 11:25, Steve Ott 10 (power play) (Jere Lehtinen, Mike Ribeiro)

Dallas 11:56, Darryl Sydor 2 (Mike Modano, Fabian Brunnstrom)

Dallas 15:59, James Neal 17 (power play) (Darryl Sydor, Matt Niskanen)

Dallas 17:06, James Neal 18 (power play) (Fabian Brunnstrom, Matt Niskanen)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived