The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

New Jersey Devils 08-09

Johnny_rudeboy

• 2 weeks later...

Brodeur on way to owning goaltending record book

Brodeur enters 2008-09 needing 14 wins to surpass all-time leader Patrick Roy's record of 551, and eight shutouts to overtake the legendary Terry Sawchuk's standard of 103. He also can join Roy as the only goalies to play 1,000 games if he suits up 32 times, and he can pass Roy's mark of 1,029 games if he plays 62 games -- Brodeur hasn't played fewer than 62 games in a full season since he was a rookie in 1993-94.

Source: http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid=38195...mp;service=page

Brodeur on way to owning goaltending record book

Brodeur enters 2008-09 needing 14 wins to surpass all-time leader Patrick Roy's record of 551, and eight shutouts to overtake the legendary Terry Sawchuk's standard of 103. He also can join Roy as the only goalies to play 1,000 games if he suits up 32 times, and he can pass Roy's mark of 1,029 games if he plays 62 games -- Brodeur hasn't played fewer than 62 games in a full season since he was a rookie in 1993-94.

Source: http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid=38195...mp;service=page

• 2 weeks later...

Devils re-sign C Rod Pelley

http://devils.nhl.com/team/app?articleid=3...mp;service=page

Devils acquire forward Kevin Cormier

The Devils have acquired forward Kevin Cormier from the Phoenix Coyotes in exchange for defenseman Sean Zimmerman.

Devils return nine players to junior clubs

The Devils have returned the following players to their junior clubs: left wing Jean-Sebastien Berube (Rouyn-Noranda), center Patrice Cormier (Rimouski), center Adam Henrique (Windsor), defenseman Ryan Molle (Swift Current), left wing Kory Nagy (Oshawa), center Tony Romano (Peterborough), defenseman Harry Young (Windsor), defenseman Matt Delahey (Regina), and right wing Nick Palmieri (Erie).

• 3 weeks later...
Bobby Holik to miss 3-4 weeks with broken finger

267.jpg

NEWARK, N.J. (AP)New Jersey Devils center Bobby Holik will be sidelined three to four weeks with a broken pinkie.

He was injured Saturday night in Washington and is scheduled for surgery Tuesday, general manager and president Lou Lamoriello said Monday.

The Devils recalled left wing Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond from Lowell of the AHL to take Holiks roster spot. He is expected to play Wednesday against Dallas, skating with Mike Rupp and David Clarkson.

The guys that are playing just have to do the job for you, coach Brent Sutter said. You go through it at different points in the year; every team does. The teams that handle it the right way and deal with it the right way are always the ones that seem to get through it the best.

Letourneau-Leblond is the third rookie to see ice time this season, joining defenseman Anssi Salmela and Petr Vrana. Vrana scored Saturday, becoming the 13th player in club history to score in his NHL debut. Vrana got into the lineup after Brian Rolston sprained an ankle in Atlanta on Thursday.

Lamoriello said an MRI and X-rays on the ankle were negative, but there is no timetable for Rolstons return.

Rolston and Holik were signed as free agents in the offseason, rejoining the franchise where both won Stanley Cup championships.

Click link to view article.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, the Devils are really feeling the injuries, Brodeur was the straw that broke the devils back.

They allowed the Sabres to get 20 shots on goal during the 1st period, bounced back in the 2nd and 3rd and cut it down to 5 shots in each period, to make a total of 30 shots. They're feeling it everywhere, only 3 shots in the 1st period. Came back in the 2nd with 12 shots and another 9 in the 3rd for a total of 24 shots. Not the offensive threat I thought they'd be when the season began.

They are without Rolston, Holik and now Brodeur. I don't see it getting any better for them until their injured players start returning. They were lacking offense last season, now they find themselves back in the same boat and without Brodeur.

Hmm... And as Brodeur nears Roy's wins record... I seriously think Patrick Roy secretly cursed Brodeur...

Hey look! It's Kevin Weekes! Apparently he's still alive!

And it's been a long time since I heard the name "Jeff Frazee" (at least, without some joke about

), who was called up from the E to replace Clemmensen in the AHL, since they called him up as Weekes' backup. He was the goalie on the USA side of the shootout VS our dear little Carey Price.

...must suck to be a goalie and find yourself drafted by the Devils. (Well, before... Brodeur isn't getting any younger).

All in all, without Brodeur healthy, the Devils are in more trouble than they were originally. Yes...

Wow, the Devils are really feeling the injuries, Brodeur was the straw that broke the devils back.

They allowed the Sabres to get 20 shots on goal during the 1st period, bounced back in the 2nd and 3rd and cut it down to 5 shots in each period, to make a total of 30 shots. They're feeling it everywhere, only 3 shots in the 1st period. Came back in the 2nd with 12 shots and another 9 in the 3rd for a total of 24 shots. Not the offensive threat I thought they'd be when the season began.

They are without Rolston, Holik and now Brodeur. I don't see it getting any better for them until their injured players start returning. They were lacking offense last season, now they find themselves back in the same boat and without Brodeur.

I watched teh 3rd period. NJD absolutely domintated, but Sabres collapsed about Miller and good shots weren't getting through.

That Parise is s heck of a player. Started getting double shifted in 3rd he was playing so well -- quick, smart -- great looking player.

• 2 months later...

Shanahan agrees to join Devils

The Devils will give Shanahan all the time he needs to get into game shape.

"He certainly will not be rushed into anything," Lamoriello said. "The coaches will determine when he is ready. I do not feel that age is a factor. I have had players who were 25 going on 50 and players who were 35 going on 25. I feel that Brendan is in the latter part."

Lamoriello spoke with Shanahan's agent this week and then met with the left wing in person Friday. They talked again Saturday and agreed that Shanahan would join the Devils once he is in game shape.

"Lou and I talked around noon," Shanahan said. "When I called and said that I would like to accept his offer and to become a part of the Devils, he said, 'When do you want to skate?' I said, 'I'll be at the arena in two hours.' So I think (the contract) will get worked out in a few days."

Source: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=403443

Had to laugh at Lamoriello's comment about players at 35 playing like they are 25. Shanahan is 40 and needs to work himself into game shape before he can play this season - most likely 2-3 weeks.

Shanahan is yet another hockey player on the down side of his career who should come to the realization that it is time to retire. :blink:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=263183&amp...os=topStory_nhl

$800K pro-rated. And Shanny may just catch TBay's Gary Roberts ($2.5MM) in the points column (3 points) by game # .... 1 (?), maybe. :lol:

We'll see how it works out. But, hard to suggest they've overpaid. Could be a good deal. Certainly looks good compared to Laraque at $1.5MM. <_<

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived