The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Florida Panthers 08-09

Johnny_rudeboy

• 2 weeks later...

First Cut - Panthers Assign 17 To the Rochester Americans.

The players include, D Peter Aston, D Luke Beaverson, RW Brady Calla, D Michael Caruso, RW Dan Collins, D James DeLory, D Keaton Ellerby, D Rory Fitzpatrick, D Jason Garrison, D Jordan Henry, C Drew Larman, D Frankin MacDonald, F Steve MacIntyre, C Stefan Meyer, G Tyler Plante, G David Shantz and F Andrew Sweetland.

http://panthers.nhl.com/team/app?articleid...mp;service=page

Second Cut - Panthers Trim Roster to 27

The players assign to the Rochester Americans; G Chris Beckford-Tseu, C David Brine, RW Mike Duco, LW Kenndal McArdle, RW Michal Repik and C Janis Sprukts.

http://panthers.nhl.com/team/app?articleid...mp;service=page

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Panthers lay off employees, lower employee discounts and lower ticket prices.

-Miami Herald

This recession is hitting the struggling teams hard.

You can now get a ticket to a Panthers game for $17 and that includes a $5 gas card, a free meal from the snack bar and free parking! It's a good deal...My family and I will take in a few games before the end of the season. Now they have the "Panthers Promise" promotion....you buy tickets to four games before the end of the season and if the Panthers don't make the playoffs you get tickets to any four games you want next season for free!!

They are trying to get more people into the building, I hope it works!

You can now get a ticket to a Panthers game for $17 and that includes a $5 gas card, a free meal from the snack bar and free parking! It's a good deal...My family and I will take in a few games before the end of the season. Now they have the "Panthers Promise" promotion....you buy tickets to four games before the end of the season and if the Panthers don't make the playoffs you get tickets to any four games you want next season for free!!

They are trying to get more people into the building, I hope it works!

Ya I saw those commercials (I live down here).

The Cats have a good fanbase but they need a consistent winner, and the recession is a huge factor as well (look at Detroits attendance).

Wow......they put a serious hurtin' on the Canes last night in Carolina something they haven't been too effective at in past years.

There are many things I like about this team starting with the coach. I like his calm demeanor and timely emotional spurts. He doesn't have his defenceman on a leash. They have well balanced scoring...points last night from many different players. They have a nice balance of vets and youngins'. They have players with speed (Booth, Horton). They stick up for each other. They have a strong work ethic. They've become mentally tough and have come from behind to win games (Toronto the other night). Obviously they must be missing a few key ingredients otherwise they wouldn't be where they are but I love their style and makeup.

Will Bouwmeester be traded for those key ingredients? They have some other very fine offensive defenceman IMO and Skrastins (sp) has picked up his game.

Living here in Florida I get a lot of the Panthers games on FSN and I'll tell you, they are starting to look pretty darn good. Last post was right, they have a good mix and they play with heart!!! This is a team that doesn't give up, they keep coming at you all night long. We need to take this team very seriously.

You are right I did forget to mention that, and by the way, wasn't Vokoun in our system at one time??

You are correct. :D

Vokoun was drafted by the Montreal Canadiens in the ninth round of the 1994 NHL Entry Draft, 226th overall. He spent the next year with Poldi Kladno in the Czech Republic. He moved to America for the 1995–96 season and played for the Wheeling Nailers of the ECHL. He was also called up to play for Fredericton Canadiens of the AHL for a playoff game. Having proven himself in the ECHL, Vokoun spent the 1996–97 season with Fredericton and played in one game in the National Hockey League (NHL), for Montreal. His one game for Montreal was not a particularly stellar performance as he gave up four goals in only twenty minutes. After another season with Fredericton, Vokoun was chosen by the Nashville Predators in the 1998 NHL Expansion Draft on June 26, 1998.

As for how he ended up in Florida .............

On April 10, 2006, the Predators announced that Vokoun was afflicted by thrombophlebitis of the pelvis, a blood-clotting condition. He missed the team's remaining regular season games and the entire playoffs while he recovered by taking blood-thinning drugs and avoiding physical activity. Backup goalie Chris Mason took his place as the starter, but the Predators failed to advance in the playoffs, again losing the quarterfinals. On July 24, 2006, Vokoun was cleared to resume his career and returned for the 2006–07 NHL season.

In the beginning 2006–07 NHL season, Vokoun hurt his thumb during a game and had to have surgery. Pins were put in this thumb, and he plays with the pins and a brace on his thumb. On the day of the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, Vokoun was traded to the Florida Panthers in exchange for a first-round selection in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, a second-round selection in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft (No. 58) and a conditional second-round selection in either 2007 or 2008.

Panthers beating the Bruins tonight 2-0 with five minutes left...Vokoun has been great tonight making saves with his back to the shooters!! Score was 0-0 after two periods before the Cats scored a shortie in the third to take the lead..I tell you, this is a team to watch, they don't quit and play with alot of energy......

If this score holds that means this week they will have beaten the Devils 4-0, lost to the Hawks 4-0 and are now beating Boston 2-0

• 6 months later...

Archived