Canadiens de Montreal

Detroit Red Wings 08-09

Johnny_rudeboy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Red Wings LW Franzen sprains knee, out 3-4 weeks

2u5uumg.jpg

DETROIT (AP)—Red Wings forward Johan Franzen will be out for three to four weeks because of a sprained left knee, the team said Sunday.

The Detroit left winger damaged the medial collateral ligament during the second period of Saturday night’s 6-5 shootout win over the Chicago Blackhawks.

Franzen was injured during a collision with Blackhawks defenseman Brent Sopel in the neutral zone.

The Red Wings recalled left wing Ville Leino from Grand Rapids of the AHL.

Click link to view article.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Henrik Zetterberg extends his contract with the Detroit Red Wings, 12 year deal at 72 million for an approx. 6mil cap hit per season.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/20...e_henrik_z.html

The Detroit Red Wings will host a press conference this afternoon at 2pm.

Thats why he left the game last night early, he had to go sign the contract :P

Detroit fans let it rip after Mondays 4-3 shootout win over the Blues in Detroit, following a 5 game losing streak.

Thank god i don’t have to look at tkachuk’s behind in hd.

--Posted by laerm from rochester, ny on 02/02/09 at 07:24 PM ET

------

There’s four hundred people at this game.

--Posted by Tyler from Lansing on 02/02/09 at 07:39 PM ET

The only reason we’re not getting killed in this game so far is that the Blues suck.

--Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/02/09 at 07:41 PM ET

------

Total of 5 SOG in the 1st, Fans should be fined for wasting electricity to watch this.

--Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 02/02/09 at 07:47 PM ET

------

Jeez, Ozzie’s goaltending is worse than Homer’s english.

Babs should have spotted the Blues 3 goals and started Conklin.

--Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 02/02/09 at 08:10 PM ET

Again, Ozzie looks like a 15 year old giving up her 5-hole at a Jonas Brothers concert.

--Posted by calquake on 02/02/09 at 08:10 PM ET

------

All right! we have a good old-fashioned goalie suck-off on our hands!

--Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/02/09 at 08:11 PM ET

------

*whispering*

We’ve switched these teams’ NHL-caliber goalies with blind hobos, let’s see if they notice.

--Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/02/09 at 08:14 PM ET

They look lik they are all playing with malaria.

--Posted by ITDeuce on 02/02/09 at 09:38 PM ET

------

Instead of continuing to watch the game tonight I just had my roommate kick me in the balls.

--Posted by Sullyosis from A hateful lair in Post Apocalyptic US (or Arizona) on 02/03/09 at 02:41 AM ET

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Wings will keep Hossa next season :rolleyes:

The Red Wings expect to have Johan Franzen and Marian Hossa back in the fold next season, signed to new contracts, reports the Detroit Free Press.

Hossa told TFP over the weekend [see video] that he's enjoyed his time with the Wings and appears confident a deal will be reached.

According to the Free Press, negotiations with Franzen are moving in the right direction.

"I think we're in the ballpark, but we don't have a deal done," Wings GM Ken Holland told the paper. "They know I want to talk to [agent] Ritch Winter regarding Marian Hossa.

"I think we have a chance to keep both players, but that does mean other players have to move."

Forward Mikael Samuelsson can become an unrestricted free agent July 1, and if the Wings keep both Franzen and Hossa, he will move on.

Winger Jiri Hudler can become a restricted free agent July 1, and the Free Press suggests he might not return next year, either, although Holland has acknowledged in the past that he'd like to keep him. If the Wings lose him via an RFA offer sheet, they would receive draft pick compensation.

Meanwhile, the paper also reports the Wings are exploring their options leading up to the March 4 deadline.

"I don't see us being active, but we've got some names of some players that are cheaper, who make less than $1 million, who can give us depth up front and on the back end," Holland said. "It would have to be a trade, depending on the length of the contract. But we've got depth in the organization, and we're trying to keep being a legitimate contender, and that means hanging on to players and draft picks. It's important to have an influx of homegrown talent."

From the Editor: It doesn't surprise me to see both Hossa and Franzen back next year, but I'd be a little surprised if they let Hudler go. What wouldn't shock me, either, is if Holland pulls another ace up his sleeve via the trade front, allowing him to keep all three. It sounds like one of Hossa/Franzen could get a new deal done as early as the trade deadline.

Link

Archived