The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Chicago Blackhawks 08-09

Johnny_rudeboy

Yeah the 'Hawks have really turned it around. They are still over the cap and want to move 'Bulin. I don't see any takers before the season starts ( doesn't he make around $6M ?) . So they have to dump salary. I have lots of respect for the current management who have worked hard to bring the fans back.

• 3 weeks later...

First Cut - Blackhawks Trim Training Camp Roster To 42

Forwards Adam Berti, Dan Bertram, Nathan Davis, Adam Hobson, Peter MacArthur and Mike Radja; defensemen Michael Brennan, Danny Groulx, Jean-Claude Sawyer and Brennan Turner; and goaltender Joseph Fallon to the American Hockey League’s Rockford IceHogs.

In addition, the Blackhawks returned forwards Richard Greenop and Maxime Tanguay; defensemen Shawn Lalonde and Teigan Zahn; and goaltender Josh Unice to their junior clubs and have released forward Olivier Labelle from training camp.

http://blackhawks.nhl.com/team/app?article...mp;service=page

Second Cut - Blackhawks Assign Four To Rockford

The Chicago Blackhawks have assigned forwards Bryan Bickell, Michael Blunden and Jacob Dowell and defenseman Tim Hambly to the American Hockey League’s Rockford IceHogs.

http://blackhawks.nhl.com/team/app?article...mp;service=page

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the home opener tonight.

It an announced crowd of 21,171, but there were empty seats throughout the arena (leads me to believe that many were Season Tickets bought by brokers to buy the Winter Classic tickets).

Huet played above average. He let in 2 goals, on about 30 shots. The first goal he was screened and the second was on a breakaway. Unfortunately, he let through 2 goals on the shootout via the 5 hole. Did he do this a lot in MTL???

Offense was pretty good, Ellis just had an amazing night in goal. The big problem again was turnovers. Many in the defensive/neutral zone.

I had a great time and the crowd was the best one I have witnessed at an opener.

Here is hoping for a W when I will watch them take on the Winnipeg Jets... errr I mean Phoenix Coyotes.

Joel Quenneville is the new head coach, press conference at 5:30 Eastern Time.

I loved Denis Savard as a player, but I think he was over his head as a coach. Hawks fans are very divided on this. I think this is what happens when you hire a superstar as a coach.

I like the move...But I don't like the timing of it...Why would you wait until 4 games into the regular season to give Quenneville the reigns? They should've done this before camp started. It makes the Hawks as an organization look unorganized and inept.

I like the move...But I don't like the timing of it...Why would you wait until 4 games into the regular season to give Quenneville the reigns? They should've done this before camp started. It makes the Hawks as an organization look unorganized and inept.

I don't understand the timing either. It could be all of the positive PR the Hawks were getting over the summer, and having Savard, Hull, Mikita, Pilote, Savvy, etc. in the fold, linking them to the past, I think it would be a bad PR thing as far as ticket sales, etc. I don't know, though. I am just a fan. Savvy also looked very beat this year. I wish him the best.

Savvy will always have a place in my heart, and I will always smile when I see #18 up in the rafters at the United Center.

Hmm, I think it's very surprising that he was fired so early into the season. My only explanation to his firing would be that he doesn't fit with the Blackhawk's new system this year after acquiring numerous players this off-season.

But with that being said, I admit I haven't paid a whole lot of attention to the Chicago Blackhawks coaching staff over the past couple seasons.

• 4 weeks later...

I got home from the game, and although we lost 2-1 in a shootout, it was a great night. A great defensive battle, lots of penalties, and lots of great goaltending from both sides. The only problem was there were 4 Toronto Maple Leafs fans sitting next to me who were so drunk before the game, and one guy was talking to me throughout most of the ceremony, telling me every 30 seconds or so that Bobby Hull was a great hockey player. For whatever reason they left after the first period and they never returned (maybe they got arrested?). I got to see my 3rd retirement ceremony (Glenn Hall/Tony Esposito, Denis Savard the previous 2) when #3 for Pierre Pilote and Keith Magnuson (R.I.P.) were retired. All of Pilote's grandchildren were on the ice standing by the red carpet, wearing Red Hawks jerseys with the #3, cheering him on as he walked out to the podium. I wish I got a picture of that.

I am so happy that Pilote finally got his number retired. When he retired, he lead defensemen all time in scoring. Then Bobby Orr came along. He was a big influence to other great defensemen like Larry Robinson and Denis Potvin.

I am not sure if Magnuson truly deserves his number to be retired. He was an average at best player, but he had a lot of heart, and was a great human being. I met him a few times and he was always super nice to me, but I don't think he deserves his number retired. It did not sour the evening at all, though.

I got some pictures from the game:

Blackhawks owner Rocky Wirtz, President John McDonough, Vice President Jay Blunk. All the other players to have their numbers retired (except Glenn Hall): Bobby Hull, Denis Savard, Stan Mikita, Tony Esposito.

retnos.jpg

Kevin Magnuson (Keith's son) giving a speech

mangusonspeech.jpg

Pierre Pilote giving a speech (with the Norris Trophy by his side)

pilotespeech.jpg

Magnuson's Banner Getting Raised

magnusonbanner.jpg

Pilote's Banner Getting Raised

pilotebanner.jpg

The 2 banners I got as the giveaway, along with a commemorative puck, a commemorative pin, and the 2 commemorative programs.

banners-programs.jpg

The Special shirt I bought special to the night (in fine print it says: Pierre Pilote & Keith Magnuson night, Wednesday, November 12, 2008):

eventshirt.jpg

here is a video they played right before the game(it is similar to what they normally play, but it has stuff from hawk greats and the current team, this was just Pilote and Maggie):

Thanks Hawksfan for the pictures and story. Chicago has a great history in the NHL, and it's good to see that you again have a very good, young team. I read some where yesterday that you have the highest overall attendance this year which is fantastic.

Even though I have been a life long Habs' fan, I always thought that Chicago has the most attractive logo. I have a few lasting memories of Montreal - Chicago games, and they are not all good for me. I believe it was Kenny Wharram who scored an overtime game winning goal against us for the Cup, and I remember Tony Esposito having a great career with Chicago after Montreal let him go. I remember one particular game which ended 0-0, and even though it was scoreless, it was very exciting. If I am wrong with my facts, and my memory does play tricks, someone will correct me, I am sure.

Bobby Hull and Stan Mikita were quite the hockey players. I remember Mikita going from being one of the more penalized players in the league, to the winner of the Lady Byng. I can't see that ever happening again.

Thanks Hawksfan for the pictures and story. Chicago has a great history in the NHL, and it's good to see that you again have a very good, young team. I read some where yesterday that you have the highest overall attendance this year which is fantastic.

Even though I have been a life long Habs' fan, I always thought that Chicago has the most attractive logo. I have a few lasting memories of Montreal - Chicago games, and they are not all good for me. I believe it was Kenny Wharram who scored an overtime game winning goal against us for the Cup, and I remember Tony Esposito having a great career with Chicago after Montreal let him go. I remember one particular game which ended 0-0, and even though it was scoreless, it was very exciting. If I am wrong with my facts, and my memory does play tricks, someone will correct me, I am sure.

Bobby Hull and Stan Mikita were quite the hockey players. I remember Mikita going from being one of the more penalized players in the league, to the winner of the Lady Byng. I can't see that ever happening again.

Glad you enjoyed my post. It was truly a great night. It is amazing, last November, I saw them lose to St. Louis 3-1. The announced crowd was 10,001. There were probably 8,000 or so people in the building. Now, they are averaging the highest attendance in the league. Although most of the games don't sell out until gametime, it is a HUGE step forward.

I have always been a huge fan of the logo, and I have been seeing it a LOT more everywhere. They are a very exciting team to watch, and it is great to see the United Center rocking again!!!!

Also, the Blackhawks have just named Denis Savard as an ambassador, joining Hull, Mikita, and Tony Esposito.

http://blackhawks.nhl.com/team/app/?servic...rticleid=392186

We got 2 big games this weekend vs St. Louis and San Jose, and then the annual "Circus Trip".

• 3 weeks later...

I have to say, I really like this organization right now. Lots of good young talent Like Kane, Toews, Byfuglien, Barker, Seabrook, Versteeg, etc., and they seem to play a very exciting game. Heck, even when Havlat is healthy he's exciting as heck! :) I think I will choose Chicago as my team from the West this season!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived