The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Habs Sign Brisebois To A One Year Deal

sens-fan-96

http://canadiens.nhl.com/team/app/?service...rticleid=381856

MONTREAL - Montreal Canadiens GM Bob Gainey announced Friday the signing of defenseman Patrice Brisebois to a one-year contract (2008-09). As per club policy, financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

Brisebois, 37, rejoined the Canadiens as a free agent on August 3, 2007. During the 2007-08 season, he registered 11 points (three goals, eight assists) and 26 penalty minutes in 43 games with the Canadiens, averaging 16:49 minutes of ice time per game. He also participated in 10 playoff games, recording six points (one goal, 5 assists).

Brisebois (6-foot-01, 196 pounds) spent the first 14 seasons of his career in a Canadiens uniform. He played two seasons with the Colorado Avalanche in 2005-06 and 2006-07. The Montreal native took part in 947 career regular season games in the NHL, totaling 402 points (93 goals, 309 assists).

As a member of the 1993 Stanley Cup champion Canadiens, Brisebois played 88 career playoff games with the Canadiens.

Brisebois was selected in the second round by the Canadiens (30th overall) in the 1989 NHL Entry Draft.

I'm fine with bringing him back, but Gainey overpaid. Remember that as of now from a cap perspective, bonuses are the same as normal salary. So we are paying Brisebois 1.4 million to be a 7th dman, I can't help but feel he would have come cheaper.

Unless Gainey knows for sure that the NHLPA is extending the CBA (in which case bonuses don't automatically count against the cap), I think we would have been better off giving him maybe 200k more in base salary and triming 500k from the cap hit.

If $1.4M total is true, it's about twice what he should earn...

Na, as if thats the case he would need to actually hit all of those bonus's

Even then 1.4 million, for a guy who is GOOD on the point on the PP, and who knows our system, doesnt mind the media, and is a true Vet.

Isnt all that bad..

Even then 1.4 million, for a guy who is GOOD on the point on the PP, and who knows our system, doesnt mind the media, and is a true Vet.

Isnt all that bad..

I really don't think any other team would offer him more then 7-800k, so I honestly think we should be able to sign him at about 700k.

As of now, he only needs to hit all the bonuses to get the money; the cap hit includes the bonuses until it is statistically impossible to achieve them (which if it's something involving points or anything, can't happen until the regular season is over). Assuming those numbers are correct, right now his cap hit is 1.4 million, part of that being bonuses is irrelevant.

I don't even want to elaborate.. Terrible signing. These 1.4MM salaries eat up valuable cap space to go out and get a great player.

Begin = 1.3 Breezer = 1.4 Kostopolous = .9 TOTAL = $3.6MM

Only $400K less than the BIG signing of Lang.

Throw in Lang (I actually don't mind Lang at all) with all of that TOTAL = $7.6MM, and yet all we could offer SUNDIN was $7MM????? I guess I just don't get it.

I don't even want to elaborate.. Terrible signing. These 1.4MM salaries eat up valuable cap space to go out and get a great player.

Throw in Lang (I actually don't mind Lang at all) with all of that TOTAL = $7.6MM, and yet all we could offer SUNDIN was $7MM????? I guess I just don't get it.

Funny Money ?

I'm not to bad with Brisebois as a seventh d-man, but where does the 1.4 million come from, he was UFA.

I'm fine with bringing him back, but Gainey overpaid. Remember that as of now from a cap perspective, bonuses are the same as normal salary. So we are paying Brisebois 1.4 million to be a 7th dman, I can't help but feel he would have come cheaper.

Unless Gainey knows for sure that the NHLPA is extending the CBA (in which case bonuses don't automatically count against the cap), I think we would have been better off giving him maybe 200k more in base salary and triming 500k from the cap hit.

If I do recall though, we can exceed the cap by a certain margin; then, if the bonuses are actually processed, they are taken off next year's cap space -- if not, then there's no loss. I'm sure the bonuses are related to production and games played, although that's pure speculation on my part.

The problem with this argument is that it's essentially become too late to land anyone else huge; Sundin clearly hasn't taken the bait after months of waiting, and there isn't much option on the market. If something comes available late season, players can be waived or traded (potentially) to clear space, simple as that.

The move is a simple insurance move more than anything, incase (knock on wood) the injury bug bites.

Not necessarily. Brisebois and Valentenko doesn't fill the same role.

Dandenault won't be there for long, and Bouillon is out at the end of this season. Openings will be created and Valentenko can open the door earlier if he does very well in the preseason and camp.

I agree. If a kid shows that he belongs on the team NOW then i firmly beleive BG will make room for him somehow ( by ridding himself of the guy he beat out for the job).

Archived