The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#20 Robert Lang 2008-2009

sens27

About Lang's goal tonite... he was given a golden opportunity on a stupid giveway, BUT, 2 years ago and many years before that we didn't have a 3rd liner who capitalizes on those opportunitys. Bob Gainey was the only GM with enough brains to snatch this guy up unlike the other GMs who just couldn't give up on Sundin. He's been a great addition to the team.

His faceoff percentage hasn't been great in back-to-back games, but the points are coming, and other centers (Saku and Lapiere) are picking up the slack, so I can't really complain. His offensive-zone intelligence really impresses me. He knows exactly where to go along the wall to pick off a clearing pass. And he helps out a lot on the backcheck.

Another goal for Lang last night.

Does anybody want to predict what his numbers will be this season? Is 50-60 points realistic?

I don't think so, I suspect he'll cool off a bit as the season continues (hopefully I'm wrong, but considering the role he's playing in....). But heck, if he manages to put up 40 points I'll be absolutely overjoyed.

I loved the pickup, but even I couldn't foresee THIS solid of a start to the season.

Does anyone else see an almost frightening facial resemblance to Darcy Tucker?

Only if he could contort his face in such a manner as to look like a madman would i see the resemblance. :lol:

Only if he could contort his face in such a manner as to look like a madman would i see the resemblance. :lol:

I think it's Darcy's devil goatee that completes the psycho look. Never-the-less, Lang is much more effective. At this point in both player's careers anyway. I loved how after his PP goal he initially tryed to hide his excitement with an expressionless face.

Another goal for Lang last night.

Does anybody want to predict what his numbers will be this season? Is 50-60 points realistic?

One of the selling points when we signed him was the fact that he had put up at least 50 points in 8 straight seasons.

Although he is playing on the third line, he is getting some PP time and should continue to do so, so I don't see 50 points as an unrealistic benchmark.

So far i've been impressed with the play of Lang. Huge improvement over the likes of Smolinski and even Bonk. Wouldn't be surprised to see him get 50-55 points this season. He may even pot 30 goals as he seems to have had many chances to score so far. Should get some PP goals too as he is the best right-handed shot on forward. Especially nice to have on the 2man advantage.

I like this acquisition back when it was announced, but I like it even more now that I've seen him perform for us and seeing what it does to the team. Like pretty much anyone else on this forum, I would have like Sundin here, but this is as good of a plan B as one can find. He definitely adds a dimension that we were lacking in the past. I also love his quote during training camp when asked about Sundin, when he replied that it's too bad for Sundin, he could have been playing here! Anyone else notice how he always seems to be smiling on pictures (check HabsInsideOut.com)?

Do you have a direct qoute on that from Gainey? I thought they got Lang because he is another good offensive player to add to the team. So far he has filled many different roles including PK, PP, and also third line center. He also is thrown in with Kovalev once in a while in four on four situations. So far I don't think it's made much of a difference weather or not hes won or lost the faceoffs. Perhaps it will down the road, but we will have to wait and see.

I love the way Lang is playing so far but realistically you have to wonder how long it will take until he rebels and asks to play with better wingers.
Is there something in his past that would suggest this??...I don't personally get that impression...he looks like he's happy to be here and will do whatever it takes to win....he's been with Detroit ....give your head a shake

Archived