The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

The Goaltending Thread 2008-09

franck5890

In the 2008-09 season, it looks almost certain that the Habs will be running with two young goaltenders; starter Carey Price, and backup Jaroslav Halak. Hopefully our young goaltenders continue to make strides in their development from last season, and hopefully they will be a part of a very successful season for the Habs.

This thread is for general discussion revolving around the goaltending for the team. If you're looking for specific threads on each goaltender, here are the links:

Carey Price

Jarsolav Halak

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm actually thinking that Price will be our starter with Denis backing him up and keeping Halak in action down in Hamilton so that we are not just freezing him up all year and bringing him into an NHL game with little action before hand.

I think Carbo and Gainey will keep the best 2 in montreal no matter what or who they are. I assume it's going to be Price and Halak

So I guess this is replacing the "Battle" thread.........much better name Jet!!!!!........I hope both (even all) our goalies will be given a chance to show what they can do and we will go with whoever is most deserving based on their current play and the game situations, instead of nominating someone as #1 and playing them regardless of merit.

In the 2008-09 season, it looks almost certain that the Habs will be running with two young goaltenders; starter Carey Price, and backup Jaroslav Halak. Hopefully our young goaltenders continue to make strides in their development from last season, and hopefully they will be a part of a very successful season for the Habs.

This thread is for general discussion revolving around the goaltending for the team. If you're looking for specific threads on each goaltender, here are the links:

Carey Price

Jarsolav Halak

I like the price-halak combo, young, confident and skillful, but it may be a little risky if we desperately want the cup this year (100th season)...

They are both talented yet inexperienced (NHL-wise)... neither of them have played a full season, and they have very little playoff experience...

We can't blame Price for the last playoff run failure, but he was definitely one of the main flaws. He wasn't comfortable in handling the puck, and let in a good amount of soft goals...

Don't get me wrong, Price is great, he is brilliant last season, especially as a rookie with all the pressure (extremely high expectation and endless comparison with Roy?).

Consider that Wings won the cup with Hasek and Osgood, and many other cup contenders with their proven star goalies (Turco, Lundqvist, Fluery, Brodeur etc), I have to admit that I'm a little worried about our two young future stars.

I like the price-halak combo, young, confident and skillful, but it may be a little risky if we desperately want the cup this year (100th season)...

They are both talented yet inexperienced (NHL-wise)... neither of them have played a full season, and they have very little playoff experience...

We can't blame Price for the last playoff run failure, but he was definitely one of the main flaws. He wasn't comfortable in handling the puck, and let in a good amount of soft goals...

Don't get me wrong, Price is great, he is brilliant last season, especially as a rookie with all the pressure (extremely high expectation and endless comparison with Roy?).

Consider that Wings won the cup with Hasek and Osgood, and many other cup contenders with their proven star goalies (Turco, Lundqvist, Fluery, Brodeur etc), I have to admit that I'm a little worried about our two young future stars.

Don't be worried, this is Montreal, the home of young cup winning goalies.

I won't hide it, I'm extremely worried about our goaltending situation this year. I still feel that Price was rushed and having him at number 1 with only Halak to fall back unto is really worrying me. I really hope I'm wrong but so far Price has shown an inability to perform at high levels in pressure situations in this league.

This is my take on the matter:

Come trade deadline, provided Price and Halak have both played well, and Gainey feels that the team needs an extra oomph for the playoffs, Halak will be trade bait. This is the main reason for signing Denis. With Denis, he has a competent back up for a few months. If Halak has played strongly in 20-25 games, he will command a decent amount of return. There will certainly be teams looking for goaltending who has some expendable assets.

This is my take on the matter:

Come trade deadline, provided Price and Halak have both played well, and Gainey feels that the team needs an extra oomph for the playoffs, Halak will be trade bait. This is the main reason for signing Denis. With Denis, he has a competent back up for a few months. If Halak has played strongly in 20-25 games, he will command a decent amount of return. There will certainly be teams looking for goaltending who has some expendable assets.

This is true he signed Denis so if halaks plays very good we could trade him and promote denis as backup. Plus Denis is a veteran and could teach desjardins lots of things.

Btw...my new favorite thread

Halak should be trade bait. Pretty much a no brainer there. He is a good enough player that he'll want to play, not as a back-up, but as a #1 somewhere. This means that we'll eventually hear about the 'goalie drama' in MTL sooner rather than later. If a guy, such as Halak, is good enough to be a #1 <or thinks he is> he is going to want to play every night. Halak could start talking to the media about his desire to play more, which will lead to endless stories about how theres a problem in the dressing room and how hes a 'cancer' to the team. Same thing that always happens. Slow week for a reporter so he 'finds' som ething to write about <weather or not its true>. We'll have to wait and see, but, I like both goalies and am not willing to bet that Denis will be a good enough back-up for either one. Just my opinion though.

Halak as trade bait? <_<

I don't know about this!

We just signed Halak to a two-year deal because we want him with OUR club, not because we want Denis to be our backup! Does anyone remember how horrible Denis has played with Tampa Bay? Denis is our 3rd string goaltender, in case of injury. There's no way Gainey deals Halak anytime in the near future and promotes Denis to the NHL roster. I would be shocked. Also, there is no market out there for Halak right now. There are more proven goaltenders available if a team really wants to search.

Halak as trade bait? <_<

I don't know about this!

We just signed Halak to a two-year deal because we want him with OUR club, not because we want Denis to be our backup! Does anyone remember how horrible Denis has played with Tampa Bay? Denis is our 3rd string goaltender, in case of injury. There's no way Gainey deals Halak anytime in the near future and promotes Denis to the NHL roster. I would be shocked. Also, there is no market out there for Halak right now. There are more proven goaltenders available if a team really wants to search.

You can't see the other side of a 2 year contract? It means that the new team doesn't have to resign him right away, which they would like quite a bit. So Denis played bad in Tampa, I guess that means he'll never play well again. It's not even a remote possibility that he could even play a good period in the NHL again! I mean, Osgood never recovered from that bad goal a few years ago. I also remember Brodeur having a bad start to this past season. He sure tanked his career!

Denis is not a Brodeur and he's not even an Osgood, but that doesn't mean he can't find his game again and get to the NHL as a capable back-up. I know Denis was bad in Tampa, but Tampa had some pretty bad defense for a while too.

How could he not consider dealing Halak if the possibility of getting something we need for this playoff run is there? I also said there would be market for him if he plays well this year. You can't see that? There was market for him last trade deadline! I don't want Halak to be traded, but I also want him to develop into the starter that he can be.

I like the new name of the thread. Less combative and hopefully more conducive to free-flowing discussion rather than bashing.

I'm jacked up to see Price this year. I don't think people realized how much continuous hockey the kid had played over the past two years. It would wear anyone down, let alone a 20-year-old NHL rookie. Pacioretty has recently noted that getting used to a full pro season is going to be difficult. This year, Price should be energized, rested, and in better shape.

Yeah, I'm excited too. He's certain to be in better shape after dropping nearly 25 lbs! He already plays a great positioning game, imagine him fast as a cat as well!

I am excited to see how much quicker he may be. 6'3, 200 lbs is pretty impressive. Carey should have a solid season now that he is well rested.

this should be an interesting year, im very curious to see how it goes. i think both our young goalies are very big talents. as far as price goes...he should have gained a lot from last year, and by all logic should be an even better goalie this year. on the other hand, he didnt blow me away last reg season until huet was traded, he played great down the stretch and fell apart in the playoffs. all just part of the process, but we finally saw his human side...too bad i was hoping for a repeat of 86:P but no problem, part of the process. that being said, im not assuming hes the next dominant NHL goalie, in fact im not even assumiung he will have a great year end to end. we saw hes capable of struggling, and i expect rough patches. halak may come in and end up playing 30 games or even more. heck, im open to the idea of halak becoming the better goalie in the long run. i dont think anything is ever in stone in this position, too many variables. the one thing i do think is they are both NHL ready right now, so we shouldnt have a big problem in the crease. heres hoping for a breakout year for price anyway, if he is what everyone thinks then we have a great chance at a cup in the near future. ill be happy with reliable 'tending throughout the year, and im at least pretty confident our guys can come through one way or the other

I wasn't saying we WERE going to trade Halak. Just thinking that any goalie wants to be a number one. You assume that Price and Halak will push each other to be better, but at some point in time you have to choose an outright number one. Halak is odd man out because the Habs are banking on Price to be the future in Montreal. Halak will want to be a number one. That's the nature of the game. We will have to trade him, again, sooner or later. Riding the pine will not get him too motivated and should, in the end, make him want out of Montreal to somewhere <St. Louis needs a starter> that he CAN be a number one. So, IMHO, Halak is trade bait.

Take for example Bryzgalov <?>. Pheonix got him for pretty much nothing because he wanted to be a number one and ANA has Jiggy. Nobody was willing to deal w/ a cup contender to get a 'back-up' even though Bryzgalov had proven time and time again that he was good enough. Because Bryzgalov was ready to be a starter he wanted out. Can't blame the guy, it was his time. The same thing could <hopefully doesn't> happen in Montreal w/ the 2 young goalies. Montreal is a cup contender. Do we wait until the deadline to deal him <where we could get the same issue as ANA- nobody wants to help a contender> or do we dish him out for a decent return sooner? I'm not a coach or a GM, this is just my thinking.

You can't see the other side of a 2 year contract? It means that the new team doesn't have to resign him right away, which they would like quite a bit. So Denis played bad in Tampa, I guess that means he'll never play well again. It's not even a remote possibility that he could even play a good period in the NHL again! I mean, Osgood never recovered from that bad goal a few years ago. I also remember Brodeur having a bad start to this past season. He sure tanked his career!

Denis is not a Brodeur and he's not even an Osgood, but that doesn't mean he can't find his game again and get to the NHL as a capable back-up. I know Denis was bad in Tampa, but Tampa had some pretty bad defense for a while too.

How could he not consider dealing Halak if the possibility of getting something we need for this playoff run is there? I also said there would be market for him if he plays well this year. You can't see that? There was market for him last trade deadline! I don't want Halak to be traded, but I also want him to develop into the starter that he can be.

I can definitely see the other side of that argument, but I still don't think Halak has any value on the trade market or that Bobby G. is interested in moving him at all. Halak, to me, seems more like a long-term project: Develop him, 25-30 games a year, with Montreal for 2 or 3 seasons and then see what interest there is in him. This is, of course, assuming Price pans out. ;)

With Denis, yes, I actually do think he's a bad goaltender and I don't expect him to rebound in Hamilton enough to be considered a legitimate backup for Montreal. That's just my opinion, but he seemed so bad with Tampa Bay I can't expect anything from him other than being a depth goaltender for Hamilton, there to help Desjardins.

Lastly, what market was there for Halak last trade deadline? Please don't bring up San Jose/Montreal/Eklund rumours.

Lastly, what market was there for Halak last trade deadline? Please don't bring up San Jose/Montreal/Eklund rumours.

When Huet was traded, during the press conference where Gainey talked about the trade, he said that there was quite a bit of interest in both of his young goalies, but that he wanted to keep them at that time. He wanted to move a goalie and Huet was the best choice. I had never even heard of eclown at that point.

When Huet was traded, during the press conference where Gainey talked about the trade, he said that there was quite a bit of interest in both of his young goalies, but that he wanted to keep them at that time. He wanted to move a goalie and Huet was the best choice. I had never even heard of eclown at that point.

Fair enough. :)

The fact that Bobby G. did say he wasn't going to move one of his younger goaltenders at THAT time should also speak to the probability that he doesn't want to move either of them now, as well. Only several months removed from that press conference, and all.

Fair enough. :)

The fact that Bobby G. did say he wasn't going to move one of his younger goaltenders at THAT time should also speak to the probability that he doesn't want to move either of them now, as well. Only several months removed from that press conference, and all.

This trade deadline will be a year removed. ;) If the right offer gets made for a piece that is needed (what if one of our forwards doesn't produce this year?), a trade could happen.

LoL, i just glanced @ the stats from last year

Halak has better stats guys

GOALIES: W L OT Sv% GAA

J. Halak 2 1 1 .934 2.11

C. Price 24 12 3 .920 2.56

Yes, but look who he played against:

Game Dec GA SA SV SV% SO PIM TOI

Mar 29 '08 MTL @ TOR L 4 37 33 .892 0 0 60:00

Mar 18 '08 STL @ MTL O 3 28 25 .893 0 0 64:50

Mar 15 '08 NYI @ MTL W 0 30 30 1.000 1 0 59:51

Mar 08 '08 MTL @ LAK W 2 37 35 .946 0 0 60:00

Not exactly the cream of the crop.

LoL, i just glanced @ the stats from last year

Halak has better stats guys

GOALIES: W L OT Sv% GAA

J. Halak 2 1 1 .934 2.11

C. Price 24 12 3 .920 2.56

you're also saying then, that Halak is one of the best goalies in the NHL, even surpassing Brodeur.

Islanders, Kings, Toronto, and Blues were Halak's opponents....

and the islanders were practically an AHL team.

Archived