The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

State Of The Habs 2008-09

franck5890

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the additions over the summer I believe that we have an excellent mix of vets and younger players who will be able to feed off each other and mesh into a successful hockey team. Even without "you know who" we will definately be a force to be taken very seriously by our adversaries or the Habs will just make them look silly out there. If everyone works hard and keeps it simple the sky is the limit!

GO HABS GO!!!

I think it was one of the better summer's in a while. Definite improvements, IMO, and not too much in the way of losses. I've been itching for the roster to be 'finalized' for quite a while and, while there's a bit of disappointment, I think Bob made the right decision in going to his Plan B.

If everyone plays to potential (always 'if'), the Habs should continue to impress and, maybe, surprise the rest of the league.

7 sleeps until the funny season starts. Can't wait for the real thing.

I like our offense, except feel we have a bit of a logjam for the fourth line. Overall I'm happy with the additions of Tanguay and Lang, and have mixed feelings about Laraque.

My disappointment is that we haven't done anything to improve our defense. A top four dman who can play the point on the powerplay would be awesome.

Goaltending is a risk and question mark, but I feel we had little choice in the matter.

A top defense-minded player would be much easier for us to get at this point than a high-scoring forward. As for the overall state of the team, I really like them this season. With Pittsburgh losing a few key players, and really not much else challenging the Habs in the East, I can see them going all the way to finals, where they will meet Detroit. I now see the Habs as the ones chasing Detroit, much like they did in the 50s. They haven't reached the stage yet where they can dethrone the Wings, but things are looking much brighter for us than they have in a long time.

Definitely, Canadiens-Red Wings in the finals.

I like our offense, except feel we have a bit of a logjam for the fourth line. Overall I'm happy with the additions of Tanguay and Lang, and have mixed feelings about Laraque.

My disappointment is that we haven't done anything to improve our defense. A top four dman who can play the point on the powerplay would be awesome.

Goaltending is a risk and question mark, but I feel we had little choice in the matter.

Well, truth be told, I think our goaltending will be fine. I know people are concerned because of Price's "meltdown" (and I mean that with a ton of sarcasm :rolleyes: ), but I think it's going to okay this season. On the defensive side of things, I'm with you. Luckily, all we need to do is acquire someone before the deadline and I'm sure there are going to be lots of possible candidates available! :)

Well, truth be told, I think our goaltending will be fine. I know people are concerned because of Price's "meltdown" (and I mean that with a ton of sarcasm :rolleyes: ), but I think it's going to okay this season. On the defensive side of things, I'm with you. Luckily, all we need to do is acquire someone before the deadline and I'm sure there are going to be lots of possible candidates available! :)

It's not really because of Price's meltdown, although had he had an amazing playoffs I'd obviously be less worried. It's just going with 2 goalies who don't have a whole season played between them is risky no matter how you look at it, considering we're supposed to contend for first in the east. I don't think there was much choice in the matter (at most we could have traded Halak and signed Joseph or a veteran backup, but that has risks of its own), but goaltending is still a question mark.

I love what Gainey did with our offense, didn't add an overpriced high profile player, but got us 2 very nice players coming off 50+ point seasons who make our offense even deeper. We don't have any true high end talent (at best we have a couple PPG players), but we probably have the deepest offense in the league. And even though I'm not that thrilled with the Laraque signing, there are times when he'll come in handy.

As I said above, my only real complaint is that our defense isn't that strong looking. Even if O'Byrne and Gorges can improve above expectations, we are still short on offense minded dmen. To be fair, the rest of the East isn't that strong on defense either (Ottawa lost their 2 best dmen, Buffalo never replaced Campbell; and even outside our division no team looks all that strong on the backend). But we have cup aspirations, and any likely winner of the West will have a defense that will be superior to ours. In the regular season, this isn't a big deal, you can compete with your offense or goaltender. But winning your conference in the playoffs automatically means you've had solid playoff goaltending, and your offense couldn't have been that bad. Defense will be the difference. If we are aiming to win the conference, then by all means, stick with our current squad, they can get it done. But if we want the cup, we need to bring someone else on board. Fortunately we have the cap space to do it, now the question is: is there a trading partner?

It's not really because of Price's meltdown, although had he had an amazing playoffs I'd obviously be less worried. It's just going with 2 goalies who don't have a whole season played between them is risky no matter how you look at it, considering we're supposed to contend for first in the east. I don't think there was much choice in the matter (at most we could have traded Halak and signed Joseph or a veteran backup, but that has risks of its own), but goaltending is still a question mark.

I love what Gainey did with our offense, didn't add an overpriced high profile player, but got us 2 very nice players coming off 50+ point seasons who make our offense even deeper. We don't have any true high end talent (at best we have a couple PPG players), but we probably have the deepest offense in the league. And even though I'm not that thrilled with the Laraque signing, there are times when he'll come in handy.

As I said above, my only real complaint is that our defense isn't that strong looking. Even if O'Byrne and Gorges can improve above expectations, we are still short on offense minded dmen. To be fair, the rest of the East isn't that strong on defense either (Ottawa lost their 2 best dmen, Buffalo never replaced Campbell; and even outside our division no team looks all that strong on the backend). But we have cup aspirations, and any likely winner of the West will have a defense that will be superior to ours. In the regular season, this isn't a big deal, you can compete with your offense or goaltender. But winning your conference in the playoffs automatically means you've had solid playoff goaltending, and your offense couldn't have been that bad. Defense will be the difference. If we are aiming to win the conference, then by all means, stick with our current squad, they can get it done. But if we want the cup, we need to bring someone else on board. Fortunately we have the cap space to do it, now the question is: is there a trading partner?

After seeing that last year the team had 7 players with fifty points or more I think were in good hands with the additions of Tanguay and Lang.

Just what I was going to say. We have a very balanced offense which is presumably only going to get better this year with the new acquisitions. If Price has the kind of year many on this board are predicting I think we should be just fine.

Balanced top-3 NHL offense + Solid Defense which should only get better (I see Komi and O'Byrne both having big years on both sides of the puck) + Above-average goaltender (Many have predicted a Vezina for him)

Can't wait to see what all this adds up to.

This team wouldnt beat the detroit red wings in a 7 game playoff series and would be hard pressed against many other western teams

but that aside like many have said our 12 man forward group is as good as any in the east right now, our questions lay on defense and in goal. aside from our top 3 dmen we dont have much,we saw late last season and in the playoffs our smaller guys gorges and bouillon really wear down and just get punished. and in goal everyone knows the questions

This team wouldnt beat the detroit red wings in a 7 game playoff series and would be hard pressed against many other western teams

but that aside like many have said our 12 man forward group is as good as any in the east right now, our questions lay on defense and in goal. aside from our top 3 dmen we dont have much,we saw late last season and in the playoffs our smaller guys gorges and bouillon really wear down and just get punished. and in goal everyone knows the questions

Well we won't have to wait until the Cup Finals to find that out with more games against the Western Conference this year. As for the 7 game series, we won't know until it happens but unfortunately I agree with you.

Well we won't have to wait until the Cup Finals to find that out with more games against the Western Conference this year. As for the 7 game series, we won't know until it happens but unfortunately I agree with you.

yes we do play more western teams this year but single regular season games dont compare to playoff series, the dallas and san jose's of the world would beat us.

Regular season games aren't playoff games, and it's in the playoffs when defense becomes really noticeable.

Right now I think the Habs have a good shot at winning the East, but I really don't see anyone from the East being able to take on the winner of the West in the Stanley Cup Finals. It will be a repeat of this year with Pittsburgh: they rolled over everyone in the East and then hit a roadblock in Detroit.

The West has gotten even stronger this year, and most of the big players in the East have stayed the same or gotten weaker (Montreal has gotten better, but not enough yet in my opinion).

Regular season games aren't playoff games, and it's in the playoffs when defense becomes really noticeable.

Right now I think the Habs have a good shot at winning the East, but I really don't see anyone from the East being able to take on the winner of the West in the Stanley Cup Finals. It will be a repeat of this year with Pittsburgh: they rolled over everyone in the East and then hit a roadblock in Detroit.

The West has gotten even stronger this year, and most of the big players in the East have stayed the same or gotten weaker (Montreal has gotten better, but not enough yet in my opinion).

We're definitely on the same page on this one and I share the same opinions. The only thing is that I feel that Laraque will surprise us all. I also feel that our defense is a little weak and Bob should have tried to improve on it, maybe he's still working on it, who knows. However, what if they have plans on playing Dandy on defense all year and he surprises, after all, he was never given a chance at the position last year.

All in all I feel that the state of the Habs is pretty good right now but I do agree that in order to make it to the cup final and beat teams like Detroit, San Jose, Dallas or Anaheim we'll probably need some more help via trades. Bob seems to be making all the right moves and pointing this team in the right direction, let's hope that we see a more mature and level headed Carbo that will lead this team to victory.

I'm not nearly as confident as you are that we aren't in a little bit of trouble in goal.I guess it depends on which way you interpret Carey's performance last year.Was there really a "meltdown"as you called it?Or,had he maybe played a little over his head in some games that gave people the notion that he was ahead of schedule in his development as an elite goaltender!?I never at any time felt that he was so good that we could do without a seasoned veteran goaltender in the system!I hope this doesn't come up to bite us in the rear in our quest for the "Holy Grail"!I am pleased as punch with the additions that Bob has made and,believe we have a very strong team that could very well go all the way if we can make up ,somehow,the difference we lose in our weakest position....the goal!!!Other than this,I love our team!!!!

Season Start - I can smell it!!

I'll probably stay a 'man of few words' this year, because as always, as this forum goes from Optimism to Pessimism (and I know it's the nature of the beast), I'm going to continue to rely on the actual 'playing on the ice' and see the results of what this past off season reaped.

I for one think we are better prepared and a better team - if not for more experience and of course the acquisitions on the team. But let's not forget that this league (sport) may be as unpredictable as the so called experts of last year - having this team finishing no better than 11th-13th last year. We all know what happened with their 'expert' predictions.

We've added some 'bulk', some 'experience'- who knows? I lean on some of my fellow posters comments on - defence, and that we may need more tweaking there - as a priority IMO, but who knows what's up BG's sleeves. As for our acquisitions - (Lang for example), looking at his past stats and going from there is not always an exact science. Let me use this analogy. _You can put Sugar in Water or Vinegar_ it doesn't taste the same_ BUT it's still sugar_. Who knows what and how the players and chemistry will give us. I tend to lean on the optimistic side and say - just might be Sugar and Water - sweet! Then the most important to me would be the character of some of our returning players - Carey, Plek, Kovy, Higgans etc... . How did they prepare for this coming season? We'll see it gang! Soon enough - but as a realist - I will give that 20 game judgement.

All this to say - "LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE!!" - I wanna see some HOCKEY!!

I suppose you are right about going to with two goaltenders who don't have juch NHL experience, but they do have some NHL experience and I feel like, between them, they will be alright. People were also bringing up how Price had, "No playoff experience," when we played Boston last season. Well, guess what? Neither did Tim Thomas! In fact, Price had probably played in more big game situations than he has. The discussion on goaltending experience is similar to the idiom, "Hindsight is 20-20." If you don't have it and you do well, you're a phenom; and if you don't have it and you do poorly, well... THEY told us so, right? Not to mention, Gainey signed Denis in case we get into serious trouble. ;)

Our defence does seem a little tender. We are, as usual, depending on internal development. However, Gainey does have a good track record going! Montreal, in the past season, really has shown what building from within can accomplish and I wouldn't be surprised to see players like Gorges, Bouillon, and O'Byrne step up or take another step forward in their development. The positive thing about it all is that we just have to make it into the post-season. If Gainey thinks we need to address defence entering the playoffs I'm sure he's going to look for a deal before the trade deadline! :)

I'm not nearly as confident as you are that we aren't in a little bit of trouble in goal.I guess it depends on which way you interpret Carey's performance last year.Was there really a "meltdown"as you called it?Or,had he maybe played a little over his head in some games that gave people the notion that he was ahead of schedule in his development as an elite goaltender!?I never at any time felt that he was so good that we could do without a seasoned veteran goaltender in the system!I hope this doesn't come up to bite us in the rear in our quest for the "Holy Grail"!I am pleased as punch with the additions that Bob has made and,believe we have a very strong team that could very well go all the way if we can make up ,somehow,the difference we lose in our weakest position....the goal!!!Other than this,I love our team!!!!

As I have mentioned above, I think Gainey covered his proverbial bases when he signed Denis. Why? Ask yourself this: Will Price or Halak fail to succeed because they are inexperienced? Well, I guess we could use Denis because he has more experience, right? Or... Wait... Let's not because Denis has been horrible in the past few seasons! We have one thing in goal right now! Depth. Carey is a good goaltender. Is he great? Maybe, maybe not. We will see, but we can't be worried about one post-season played poorly to date. Heck, hasn't Turco been one of the biggest post-season chokers for years? Yes, but I would still take him in a heatbeat if I was a team looking for a goaltender.

Let's hope that you and the others that say the same thing are right. I'm still tentative if the bad experience helped him or hurt his confidence.

I'll be honest, I don't know. Obviously if I knew for certain, I'd be out making a fortune by selling my formula. ;):P

I'm just going by history. Guys like Datsyuk and Zetterberg had to have not one but several seasons of postseason disappointment and under-performance before they were able to take their game to the next level. Ditto Steve Yzerman, who was only able to silence his detractors after he led the Wings to a Cup. And we're talking about players much older than Price in the first place.

The hallmark of a great player is his ability to bounce back from adversity. Price has had a very long summer to rest up, relax, get in shape, and forget about the last postseason. Goalies, like quarterbacks in football, have to have very short memories, or else they wouldn't even have the confidence to make it out of the dressing-room.

Let's hope that you and the others that say the same thing are right. I'm still tentative if the bad experience helped him or hurt his confidence.

i know what you mean GHC, up until last years playoff carey was living some insane hockey fantasy, he was just winning everything for every team. that loss and his poor play contributing to it must have been very tough for carey to deal with, being that he was so used to a different outcome in those kind of situations. i hope it didnt burst his bubble or make him more tentative. however, i will err on the side of positivity, he SHOULD use the experience to grow as a player, push himself harder and improve his game, mentally and on the ice. the great players use failure as a challenge to become even greater, so hopefully we will be seeing a faster sharper and more focused carey this season.

if nothing else though, that horrible feeling of losing definetly will have made him more hungry. he saw what NHL playoffs are like now, saw what kind of focus etc.. you need, and saw how horrible it is to lose once your there. im sure it was humbling and has made carey a more mature person, and in goaltending maturity couunts a LOT, so thats one reaction i think will pay dividends

Better than this time a year ago, but do we have what it takes to compete with the top teams in the East and West. East I think so...West, not yet. But we have a more well-rounded team than last year and the youngsters are that much more experiences, so I'm looking forward to this October!

well the thing is our defense is not improved from a year ago, and thats where alot of our problems ly

Archived