The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Jersey Retirements Thread

franck5890

Whether you're nostalgic about the jersey retirements that have already taken place, you'd like to discuss future jersey retirements, or you just plain want more information, you're in the right thread.

The Habs have retired 14 numbers over the years, all of which are viewable (with accompanying profiles) on the main website's Retired Jerseys page. This season, the Habs will retire Patrick Roy's #33 on November 22.

OK folks, help me out here. I know that Patrick Roy has the stats and the game to get his number retired. He wins two Cups here, and he is the key guy both times. We probably win at least one more if he stays around.

But that's the problem. I know that Mario Tremblay may have mishandled this situation a little bit (ok, he screwed it up huge) but Roy basically takes a dump on the logo at centre ice, and demands to be traded out of town immediately.

And we're gonna retire this guy's number? I don't get it. If I'm missing something here, I'm happy to be set straight (my gut tells me that I am in the minority of Habs fans on this issue).

I hope this has been posted in the right place. I tried posting it in the hot stove area, thinking that it would be appropriate there. If this is not the case, I'd appreciate some further information on the way you folks want this stuff posted. Thanks.

You are correct however he was a true superstar on this team and the time has come to heal the wound. He was head and shoulders above the rest of the league. We have won nothing since he left - just like the curse of the bambino for the red sox - we have to start the healing for the curse of Roy. lol

There was a mishandling of the situation on both sides so it is about time to bring together both sides. Maurice Richard was shut out for the longest time would not go to the forum or any other place with teh Habs- when he came back it was stupendous. He went to the closing of the forum and there was not a dry eye in the house - but he was near the end it was a sad time.

Seriously he does deserve the honour and we will seee on Wednesday who else will be retired - Hope this helps

512, I appreciate your points. I am just not sure I'm buying it, that's all.

And you say there are going to be more numbers to be retired announced? I hope they don't go too overboard here. I've always thought that it should be tougher to get your number retired as a Hab than it is to get into the Hockey Hall of Fame as a Hab. Just the way I see it, I guess.

They had not retired any numbers in a long time - then leading up to this year they were retiring 2 per year the past few years. So I would be surprised if there were not at least one more - I do not know if this is the case.

They leaked the Roy retirement to see if the majority felt like you do and found that was not the case. I appreciate what you are thinking because quite frankly when I first heard about it I felt the same way. But I have warmed up to the fact it is a done deal. There were some who felt Dryden should not be retired - did not play long enough 8 years and basically walked away and also had a year off in a contract dispute with Sam Pollack (did law articling for a year).

Isn't time to retire # 22 Steve Shutt?

I think they are done with the retirements.

Every year they did 2 numbers and they did it in order of year. This year they are only doing Roy.. If they had any more they would have done 2 this year and Roy wouldn't be ahead of Shutt.

Also they introuduced the ring of honnor to honnor the 44 players and 10 builders Hall of Famers.. They are also having a coachs night this year to honnor Dick Irvin Sr, Toe Blake and Scotty Bowman.. Perhaps they will raise a banner for them or something.

To me that ring of honnor says If you haven't had your number retired at least your on the ring of honnor. So for Steve Shutt, Emile Bochard, Toe Blake (as a player), Ditre Pittre, George Vezina, Bill Durnan, George Hainsworth, Lemarire, Lapointe and all the other greats who you can argue deserve to be honnered this is it. No banner but there face on the ring.

For me I am completely fine with it.. I am happy with what the habs have done.

Let me start by saying I'm new to the forum here but have been a die hard fan since 1984.

The problem with retiring Jerseys is that they would soon run out of numbers, I think the ring of honour was created to avoid this. Its a tough position to be in as an organization but it speaks volumes about the players we have had.

We are not going to run out of numbers.. That is a Myth.

we have 14 retired numbers+ 99 retired league wide.

That Leaves like 83 numbers avaible.. Teams only carry a 23 man roster. If you extended it to 40 men to included prospect that may be called up through out the year then you still have 43 numbers left.

If we retired 14 in 100 years then we should be good for a couple hundred more at least lol.

We are not going to run out of numbers.. That is a Myth.

we have 14 retired numbers+ 99 retired league wide.

That Leaves like 83 numbers avaible.. Teams only carry a 23 man roster. If you extended it to 40 men to included prospect that may be called up through out the year then you still have 43 numbers left.

If we retired 14 in 100 years then we should be good for a couple hundred more at least lol.

Yes but when you consider those that havent had their number retired but should, you severly limit the numbers available to the current roster. They could easily retire 10 more numbers leving just under 75% available. Maybe I should re-phrase myself, instead of running out of numbers maybe it should read "running out of numbers that the players use/like. If all these players in the ROH had their numbers retired how many would be left then?

Howie Morenz (1945)

Hector Blake (1966)

Jacques Lemaire (1984)

William Northey (1945)

Georges Vézina (1945)

Émile Bouchard (1966)

Bert Olmstead (1985)

Hon. Donat Raymond (1958)

Aurèle Joliat (1947)

Elmer Lach (1966)

Serge Savard(1986)

Frank J. Selke (1960)

Newsy Lalonde (1950)

Kenny Reardon (1966)

Jacques Laperrière (1987)

J. Ambrose O’Brien (1962)

Joe Malone (1950)

Tom Johnson (1970)

Guy Lafleur (1988)

Léo Dandurand (1963)

Sprague Cleghorn (1958)

Jean Béliveau (1972)

Buddy O’Connor (1988)

Tommy Gorman (1963)

Herb Gardiner (1958)

Bernard Geoffrion (1972)

Bob Gainey (1992)

Hon. Hartland Molson (1973)

Sylvio Mantha (1960)

Doug Harvey (1973)

Guy Lapointe (1993)

Joe Cattarinich (1977)

Joe Hall (1961)

Dickie Moore(1974)

Steve Shutt (1993)

Sam Pollock (1978),

George Hainsworth (1961)

Jacques Plante (1978)

Larry Robinson(1995)

Scotty Bowman (1991)

Maurice Richard (1961)

Henri Richard (1979)

Denis Savard (2000)

Jack Laviolette (1962)

Lorne Worsley (1980)

Rod Langway (2002)

Didier Pitre (1962)

Frank Mahovlich (1981)

Patrick Roy (2006)

Bill Durnan (1964)

Yvan Cournoyer (1982)

Dick Duff (2006)

Albert Siebert (1964)

Ken Dryden (1983)

Yes but when you consider those that havent had their number retired but should, you severly limit the numbers available to the current roster. They could easily retire 10 more numbers leving just under 75% available. Maybe I should re-phrase myself, instead of running out of numbers maybe it should read "running out of numbers that the players use/like. If all these players in the ROH had their numbers retired how many would be left then?

Howie Morenz (1945)

Hector Blake (1966)

Jacques Lemaire (1984)

William Northey (1945)

Georges Vézina (1945)

Émile Bouchard (1966)

Bert Olmstead (1985)

Hon. Donat Raymond (1958)

Aurèle Joliat (1947)

Elmer Lach (1966)

Serge Savard(1986)

Frank J. Selke (1960)

Newsy Lalonde (1950)

Kenny Reardon (1966)

Jacques Laperrière (1987)

J. Ambrose O’Brien (1962)

Joe Malone (1950)

Tom Johnson (1970)

Guy Lafleur (1988)

Léo Dandurand (1963)

Sprague Cleghorn (1958)

Jean Béliveau (1972)

Buddy O’Connor (1988)

Tommy Gorman (1963)

Herb Gardiner (1958)

Bernard Geoffrion (1972)

Bob Gainey (1992)

Hon. Hartland Molson (1973)

Sylvio Mantha (1960)

Doug Harvey (1973)

Guy Lapointe (1993)

Joe Cattarinich (1977)

Joe Hall (1961)

Dickie Moore(1974)

Steve Shutt (1993)

Sam Pollock (1978),

George Hainsworth (1961)

Jacques Plante (1978)

Larry Robinson(1995)

Scotty Bowman (1991)

Maurice Richard (1961)

Henri Richard (1979)

Denis Savard (2000)

Jack Laviolette (1962)

Lorne Worsley (1980)

Rod Langway (2002)

Didier Pitre (1962)

Frank Mahovlich (1981)

Patrick Roy (2006)

Bill Durnan (1964)

Yvan Cournoyer (1982)

Dick Duff (2006)

Albert Siebert (1964)

Ken Dryden (1983)

Okay well first of 10 of those names are builders. 2ndly 14 of those 44 players already have they

re number retired and I don't think people would actualy suggest retiring all 44 anyways. But If the did that would be 45 numbers retired including #99.

that leaves 53 numbers left.. Oh well big deal a 23 man roster can deal with 54 numbers to chose from we wouldn't run out of numbers.

The reason not to retire too many numbers IMO isn't because of fear of running out. Its because it is a ELITE honnor and it should not be handed out so easly. It should be given to those who where truly elite. To those who during there time on this team where considered among the vewry best in the NHL at there postion. Even more importantly to those who are considered elite through the history of the team and the league. I fell that those whos numbers have been retired alreay are that elite group. No offence to the others they where great and very diserving of the ring of Honnor and I am sure there are a hand full of them who you can argue may desreve to have a retired jersey but you gotta draw the line some where. Its gotta be more then just every HOF gets there number retired.

Ton of great players there, but it should be tougher to get your Hab number retired than it is to get into the HHOF.

There has to be something extra. Part of it I think is extraordinary identification of the player during his playing career as a Hab. This is not coming out exactly as I mean, but I haven't come up with a better way to say it yet.

I don't mean to keep beating a dead horse, but this is the basis of my serious problem with Patrick Roy.

Ton of great players there, but it should be tougher to get your Hab number retired than it is to get into the HHOF.

There has to be something extra. Part of it I think is extraordinary identification of the player during his playing career as a Hab. This is not coming out exactly as I mean, but I haven't come up with a better way to say it yet.

I don't mean to keep beating a dead horse, but this is the basis of my serious problem with Patrick Roy.

On the basis of being extraodenary Roy shouldn't even be a deabte. He is the greatest goaltender of all time..

How many players on that ring of honor or the retired jerseys can say they are the best of all time at there position?

The Greatest of all time and the majority of his carear and the best years of his carear where in montreal. 2 Cups 2 Conn Smythes 3 Vezinas 4 Jennings 3 Cup finals apparances over 250 wins 1 Number 33!

All that matters is the performance on the ice and nobody was better then St. Patrick.

On November 22nd I will stand in the Bell Centre and appluad Roy in thanks for all he has given me as a fan. I hope those who don't agree with his selection can at least let it go and be respectful.

It would be a slap in the face to Steve Shutt if his #22 isn't retired. He pretty much mirrored Lafleur during his career. I don't think Guy would've been as hot if it wasn't for shutt, who did you cover, you had 2 guys highly capable of putting the puck in the net. I admit, Guy had more flair, but shutt's numbers' should speak for itself.

On the basis of being extraodenary Roy shouldn't even be a deabte. He is the greatest goaltender of all time..

How many players on that ring of honor or the retired jerseys can say they are the best of all time at there position?

The Greatest of all time and the majority of his carear and the best years of his carear where in montreal. 2 Cups 2 Conn Smythes 3 Vezinas 4 Jennings 3 Cup finals apparances over 250 wins 1 Number 33!

All that matters is the performance on the ice and nobody was better then St. Patrick.

On November 22nd I will stand in the Bell Centre and appluad Roy in thanks for all he has given me as a fan. I hope those who don't agree with his selection can at least let it go and be respectful.

I scored a pair of tickets too so I will be standing and applauding with you!

w/e happened between roy and the orgainzation back then was just anger ... he got scored on 9 times ... i remember that game it was horrible ... so he said something outta anger ... really the truth is the organization botched the whole thing, they actually traded him instead of working it out i bet you if they could do it over they would have never traded him ... like others said in here its in the past people should be over it patrick roy didnt even think he would really be traded ... so good on the organization cant wait till nov 22

It would be a slap in the face to Steve Shutt if his #22 isn't retired. He pretty much mirrored Lafleur during his career. I don't think Guy would've been as hot if it wasn't for shutt, who did you cover, you had 2 guys highly capable of putting the puck in the net. I admit, Guy had more flair, but shutt's numbers' should speak for itself.

Agreed.

What I find funny is how some fans can suppose that one's performance on the ice is the only thing that matters when it comes to the retirement of a hockey number. This is not true. It is a totally political decision made at the discretion of management -- just like the selection of a new goal song -- and in this case, I personally believe it is poor judgment to retire Roy's number because the personality and character he displayed on and off the ice made him just about the farthest thing from a role model we could want. I also believe the decision was rushed just to provide more "sparks" for the centennial, because there are so many, many other well-deserving players who have already waited much longer than #33, and now will have to wait even more.

I still think it should be Colorado retiring his number, and Montreal retiring someone else's.

....and, there's no guarantee that without Roy, the Habs would not have won either Cup. That's all speculation. I've seen backups win the Cup and the Conn Smythe (Cam Ward most recently -- as a rookie, too), so don't tell me it's impossible.

Archived