The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Habs Cap Space 2008-09

franck5890

A team's salary cap is always moving and changing, and is always in play when considering roster moves or trades.

As it stands, here is the salary cap information for the team as of the middle of September:

Tanguay, Alex: 5.250

Koivu, Saku: 4.750

Kovalev, Alexei: 4.500

Lang, Robert: 4.000

Kostitsyn, Andrei: 3.250

Higgins, Chris: 1.700

Plekanec, Tomas: 1.600

Laraque, Georges: 1.500

Begin, Steve: 1.057

Chipchura, Kyle: 0.943

Kostopoulos, Tom: 0.900

Latendresse, Guillaume: 0.850

Kostitsyn, Sergei: 0.817

Lapierre, Maxim: 0.688

Markov, Andrei: 5.750

Hamrlik, Roman: 5.500

Bouillon, Francis: 1.875

Dandenault, Mathieu: 1.725

Komisarek, Mike: 1.700

Gorges, Josh: 1.100

O‘Byrne, Ryan: 0.942

Brisebois, Patrice: 1.500

Price, Carey: 2.200

Halak, Jaroslav 0.775

Buyouts: 0.765

The total is $55.637, however the team will have to remove one player to cut their roster to the required 23.

Source: nhlnumbers.com, nhlscap.com -- two helpful resources if you ever have any questions about the salary cap.

The total is $55.637, however the team will have to remove one player to cut their roster to the required 23.

Source: nhlnumbers.com, nhlscap.com -- two helpful resources if you ever have any questions about the salary cap.

So basically if we cut the lowest payed player (Lapierre) to be conservative, the hit is 54,949; or 1,751 in cap space. We could also cut up to 3 more players and still ice a full roster. Also, if the NHLPA extends the CBA, we should get about 2250 in bonus cushion (so about 4 million in cap space).

Since last years thread has still been used in the last week or so, here is a very useful post from dj80crant; I know it must have taken some considerable time to do, so I don't want it lost when the old thread is closed:

Here is my Last UPDATED version of the Habs Cap Space....Unless Gainey pulls off a blockbuster and moves a roster player. I think this is our Habs team for the Drive for 25 run. All players that are signed are included and Gainey has them all locked up.

Lines may not be exact and are very much indeed subject to change. Only problem Habs have is that have one player to many.

TANGUAY (5.250) - KOIVU (4.750) - S. KOSTITSYN (0.817)

A. KOSTITSYN (3.250) - PLEKANEC (1.600) - KOVALEV (4.500)

HIGGINS (1.700) - LANG (4.000) - LATENDRESSE (0.850)

LAPIERRE (0.688) - CHIPCHURA (0.943) - LARAQUE (1.500)

MARKOV (5.750) - KOMISAREK (1.700)

HAMRLIK (5.500) - O'BYRNE (0.942)

BOUILLON (1.875) - GEORGES (1.100)

PRICE (2.200)

HALAK (0.775)

BEGIN (1.057), DANDEAULT (1.725), KOSTOPOULOS (0.900), BRISBOIS (1.500)

Team Salary: 54.872 Million

BuyOuts, Waivers etc: 0.765 Million

Total Cap Hit: 55.637

Cap Room Available: 1.063 Million

So Habs have a 24 Man Roster. With that roster they have 1.063 Million left in Cap space. You have to subtract one player from the roster and his salary. Depending on who gets traded or sent to minors Habs should have about 1.9 Million left in Cap space for this year.

So basically if we cut the lowest payed player (Lapierre) to be conservative, the hit is 54,949; or 1,751 in cap space. We could also cut up to 3 more players and still ice a full roster. Also, if the NHLPA extends the CBA, we should get about 2250 in bonus cushion (so about 4 million in cap space).
as of yesterday, Bob McKenzie doesn't see the bonus cushion being re-instated... knew it wouldn't be a rubber-stamped deal...

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie/?id=249738

as of yesterday, Bob McKenzie doesn't see the bonus cushion being re-instated... knew it wouldn't be a rubber-stamped deal...

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie/?id=249738

This confuses me. Is there any chance the NHLPA actually reopens the CBA? I don't see it, and it is in the NHLPAs best interest to have a higher salary cap. On the other hand, the NHLPA seems to finally have strong leadership in Kelly, and I'd trust he knows what he's doing.

This confuses me. Is there any chance the NHLPA actually reopens the CBA? I don't see it, and it is in the NHLPAs best interest to have a higher salary cap. On the other hand, the NHLPA seems to finally have strong leadership in Kelly, and I'd trust he knows what he's doing.
I don't think there's any chance of the deal being terminated early but as I said in the earlier thread, it's a matter of the NHLPA declining to terminate the deal (as opposed to extending the deal, i.e. not take action as opposed to take action) in a manner that suits the NHL since there is nothing in the CBA about how they are supposed to do it other than to let the deadline expire (in May)... it's one of those badly worded/thought out elements of the CBA...

it's possible the NHL won't let them have the bonus cushion no matter what the NHLPA is willing to do now... they may feel that since some teams have had to work within the no-cushion cap, it'd be unfair to re-instate it this close to the season... it certainly has to be off the table as a possiblity by the time training camp ends -- no way the league can allow it then, it'd be like telling a team, 'you know that player you lost on waivers during training camp because you couldn't afford his bonus clause, well, you can afford it now'...

• 3 weeks later...

As of the 4 Oct 08 at 4:30 AM. I just read RDS website and here is the Habs 23 Man roster to start the season. The lines are pretty much accurate unless there is a big injury. So this is where the Habs are at.

HIGGINS (1.700) - KOIVU (4.750) - TANGUAY (5.250)

LATENDRESSE (0.850) - LANG (4.000) - S. KOSTITSYN (0.817)

BEGIN (1.057) - LAPIERRE (0.688) - KOSTOPOULOS (0.900)

PRICE (2.200)

HALAK (0.775)

DANDEAULT (1.725), BRISBOIS (1.500) LARAQUE (1.500)

Team Salary: 53.829 Million

Total Cap Hit: 54.594

Cap Room Available: 2.106 Million

That is the way the Habs will start the season

As of the 4 Oct 08 at 4:30 AM. I just read RDS website and here is the Habs 23 Man roster to start the season. The lines are pretty much accurate unless there is a big injury. So this is where the Habs are at.

PRICE (2.200)

HALAK (0.775)

I see Chippy has been ommited from that lineup. Has there already been an announcement regarding his status with the team???

Take Chipper and do what with him precisely? He would spend practically every game in the box unless Lang or Lapierre played like trash for a few games. He is better in the minors however with how ignored he has been this season and his contract up next year; he may opt to find a new team.

• 4 weeks later...

I am pretty sure Chipchura doesn't count against the cap. Am I wrong?

That makes it just about $2 million square for cap space using that site. If you check the NHLPA numbers however, you'll find that Price and Brisebois are notably lower. How accurate are the numbers? Brisebois is highlighted as an estimate for instance and the NHLPA site shows him at $750k compensation, if I remember correctly. If that is the case, we are getting closer to $3 million.

If we want a big name for big bucks, the possibility exists. We can't dismiss those possibilites using the information available, but we can continue speculation, because we are using a possibility to discuss a possibility. :lol:

I am pretty sure Chipchura doesn't count against the cap. Am I wrong?

That makes it just about $2 million square for cap space using that site. If you check the NHLPA numbers however, you'll find that Price and Brisebois are notably lower. How accurate are the numbers? Brisebois is highlighted as an estimate for instance and the NHLPA site shows him at $750k compensation, if I remember correctly. If that is the case, we are getting closer to $3 million.

If we want a big name for big bucks, the possibility exists. We can't dismiss those possibilites using the information available, but we can continue speculation, because we are using a possibility to discuss a possibility. :lol:

From the site I've quoted, Chipchura's salary isn't calculated in the actual payroll (I've added the salaries up). The Cap hit is higher but I'm not sure if it's because of the bonuses, as they count against the cap.

As for NHLPA.com, it doesn't take bonuses into considerations.

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?tea...amp;season=0809

This site has us at $54.811 million. I don't know which one is accurate.

From the site I've quoted, Chipchura's salary isn't calculated in the actual payroll (I've added the salaries up). The Cap hit is higher but I'm not sure if it's because of the bonuses, as they count against the cap.

As for NHLPA.com, it doesn't take bonuses into considerations.

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?tea...amp;season=0809

This site has us at $54.811 million. I don't know which one is accurate.

nhlnumbers is accurate end approve by nhl !!

PRICE (2.200)

HALAK (0.775)

This one is up to date....These are the players we have on the roster so ChipChura does not count

No idea where to post this , so rather than start a new thread

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?...e=lebrun_pierre

Lots of work ahead for Montreal's Bob Gainey

The Montreal Canadiens are off to a tremendous start on the ice. Off the ice, GM Bob Gainey has his work cut out for him. He's got 10 potential unrestricted free agents at season's end, including Alexei Kovalev, Saku Koivu, Alex Tanguay and Mike Komisarek, plus potential restricted free agents in Christopher Higgins and Tomas Plekanec.

We're told contract talks have yet to begin on any of those fronts. It's a tough situation for Gainey. The risk of signing one guy is that it may look like you're playing favorites. But, on the flip side, some agents for these players are getting a little restless. My sense is that Gainey may take care of a few of these players in the second half of the season or near season's end.

Of course, the interesting thing in all this is whether the salary cap possibly goes down next season because of the global economic meltdown (at this point, it's impossible to tell either way). But the Habs might be in the best position of all -- they won't be in a payroll jam like most other teams.

No idea where to post this , so rather than start a new thread

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?...e=lebrun_pierre

Lots of work ahead for Montreal's Bob Gainey

The Montreal Canadiens are off to a tremendous start on the ice. Off the ice, GM Bob Gainey has his work cut out for him. He's got 10 potential unrestricted free agents at season's end, including Alexei Kovalev, Saku Koivu, Alex Tanguay and Mike Komisarek, plus potential restricted free agents in Christopher Higgins and Tomas Plekanec.

We're told contract talks have yet to begin on any of those fronts. It's a tough situation for Gainey. The risk of signing one guy is that it may look like you're playing favorites. But, on the flip side, some agents for these players are getting a little restless. My sense is that Gainey may take care of a few of these players in the second half of the season or near season's end.

Of course, the interesting thing in all this is whether the salary cap possibly goes down next season because of the global economic meltdown (at this point, it's impossible to tell either way). But the Habs might be in the best position of all -- they won't be in a payroll jam like most other teams.

It's a fact that not all of them will get re-signed, but this number (10 UFA) is a bit inflated with the fact that there are some that definitely won't be back and/or could be easily replaced. Guys like Begin, Dandenault, Bouillon, Brisebois and Kostopoulos are replaceable. Lang will likely not be back. So it will boil down to how much to offer to Komisarek. Koivu should stay if he chooses to keep playing. I have a feeling that the decision will be between Tanguay and Kovalev and I know where my money is...

It's a fact that not all of them will get re-signed, but this number (10 UFA) is a bit inflated with the fact that there are some that definitely won't be back and/or could be easily replaced. Guys like Begin, Dandenault, Bouillon, Brisebois and Kostopoulos are replaceable. Lang will likely not be back. So it will boil down to how much to offer to Komisarek. Koivu should stay if he chooses to keep playing. I have a feeling that the decision will be between Tanguay and Kovalev and I know where my money is...

I agree, for the most part... ;)

I am assuming your decision is with Tanguay. And that makes a lot of sense, but Kovalev is still instrumental to this team and, as we saw last game, he is still capable of putting up numbers at important moments. Tanguay is definitely at a more ripe age to sign long-term, but we will still need some sort of signing to offset the loss of Kovalev (if we neglect to resign him).

For me the question is with Komisarek. For instance, if we can get someone like, say... Bouwmeester, but at the expense of Komisarek, then do we let him walk and take Bouwmeester? We would hope someone else can replace the sandpaper Komisarek provides for Montreal?

Either way, Bob Gainey definitely has some tough decisions ahead of him, but like you mention... With the money saved by letting Brisebois, Begin, Bouillon, Dandenault, and Lang go, we should be able to do well with our resignings! :)

I suspect we'll see Kovalev resign with Montreal for a similar or slighlty smaller contract. He's stated on numerous occasions that he wants to finish his career in Montreal and if we're succesfull in the playoffs this year it's more motivation to stay. I think the same is true of Koivu. For some reason both those players strike me that they're the type to put the team first. Koivu because it's natural and Kovalev because he's mature into it.

I suspect we'll see Kovalev resign with Montreal for a similar or slighlty smaller contract. He's stated on numerous occasions that he wants to finish his career in Montreal and if we're succesfull in the playoffs this year it's more motivation to stay. I think the same is true of Koivu. For some reason both those players strike me that they're the type to put the team first. Koivu because it's natural and Kovalev because he's mature into it.

i agree or at the very least i hope. and as others mentioned we'll probably let a few of the guys go, even if their individual salaries may not be that expensive the total can be redistributed (though i guess that also depends on how greedy some of the UFA might be). though i'm pretty sure gainey will try to sign at least one more person not yet on the team, i'm assumin some of our roster spots will also be filled in from guys in hamilton. i'm sure one or two of them will be more than prepared to make the jump by next year if the spots open up.

All this means to me is that you let some guys go who are closer to the fringe next year and bring up at least 3 guys from Hamilton...Pax , Chips ,D'ags ,or Weber etc....there are going to be guys filling in throughout the year because of inevitable injuries and BG can have a better look at their progress at that time ....for now it looks like this is the roster barring a big trade and next year will be difficult for BG but not impossible....in some ways I see him locking in guys closer to the March deadline because no one knows what the economy is going to be like...I don't have a problem with the team as it stands because the chemistry is very good and should only get better ...if there are better teams right now I cant see it from the standings but a tweak might happen because this is the year we shoot the moon for the Cup...it's going to be fun to watch this season unfold and if the first 10 games are any indication it looks very good for us

Either way, Bob Gainey definitely has some tough decisions ahead of him, but like you mention... With the money saved by letting Brisebois, Begin, Bouillon, Dandenault, and Lang go, we should be able to do well with our resignings! :)

True and you replace them with younger, cheaper and as good quality talent.

The number of UFAs is inflated, but our RFAs also factor into the mess that this summer will bring. One way to look at it is player's signed next season: the list isn't too impressive. Of our 9 offensive forwards, only the Kostitsyn brothers are signed. Our defense is in somewhat better shape, but Komisarek's UFA status seriously scares me. Also while no single loss of Bouillion, Dandenault, or Brisebois is particularly worrisome; all three combined, possibly coupled with the loss of Komisarek, causes a few problems. We're good in goal, but need to be careful because in a year Price may be in for a nice raise, and with the economy right now, we can't expect cap increases to bail us out.

I also feel there will be a decision between Kovalev and Tanguay. I simply see no way we can keep all of Koivu, Tanguay, and Kovalev; while also locking up Plekanek, Latendresse, and hopefully Higgins (he may need to go as well); and either re-signing Komisarek or replacing him.

This year we saw a training camp where we knew on opening day who was going to be cut. No matter how good or bad Gainey does this summer, there should be a couple of spots for guys like Maxwell, D'ags, Pacioretty, and Weber.

Archived