The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#71 - Patrice Brisebois 2008-09

franck5890

I have always thought Breezer has taken too much flack. Yes, he makes mistakes but he also has his positives & right now he is a relatively inexpensive insurance policy.

THe only thing that sort of concerns me is this:

We know Breezer & Carbo are friends - fine. I have no problem with this & while you could *argue* carbo has given him more ice time because of it, its certainly debatable the other way. BUT - the advantage of having a guy like breezer is that if the other guys (obyrne, jorges etc) are having trouble/slumps, you can insert Breezer. However - the fact remains that Patrice remains 53 games short of 1000 played....how much do you want to bet that by the end of the year he plays 54 games?

I guess my point is that I like breezer as an insurance policy & a guy who can sit in the pressbox until needed. If we need him to play 50+ games, fine - thats why we have him - but I hope that we dont play him simply because we want him to get 1000 games (especially in our 100th season!) - and lets face it, if we were coach & he was I friend...well, we probably would.

I have always thought Breezer has taken too much flack. Yes, he makes mistakes but he also has his positives & right now he is a relatively inexpensive insurance policy.

We know Breezer & Carbo are friends - fine. I have no problem with this & while you could *argue* carbo has given him more ice time because of it, its certainly debatable the other way. BUT - the advantage of having a guy like breezer is that if the other guys (obyrne, jorges etc) are having trouble/slumps, you can insert Breezer. However - the fact remains that Patrice remains 53 games short of 1000 played....how much do you want to bet that by the end of the year he plays 54 games?

I guess my point is that I like breezer as an insurance policy & a guy who can sit in the pressbox until needed. If we need him to play 50+ games, fine - thats why we have him - but I hope that we dont play him simply because we want him to get 1000 games (especially in our 100th season!) - and lets face it, if we were coach & he was I friend...well, we probably would.

54 games, eh?

I'll make that bet! :lol:

Reaching 1000 games would a great milestone for Patrice, but like you, I don't think he should get 53 regular season games this year unless someone goes down with an injury. Even then I might be more partial to Valentenko getting to play for Montreal instead.

I agree with this on principle. However, I see this would become a problem only if he plays in a way that hurts the team and still gets to dress for the next stretch of games. And by way that hurts the team, I'm not talking about a few mistakes here and there (everybody is entitled to them). I say let him play his 53 games, the odd man out doesn't have to be OB each time and I doubt that there wont be any injury at all. My plan would be: secure a play off spot ASAP then rotate the 7 of them in and out of the line up (yes, markov included as long as i know in advance and it's not a game i'm scheduled to watch at the bell centre :P ). when comes playoff time, our D has less chances of crumbling :)

54 games, eh?

I'll make that bet! :lol:

Reaching 1000 games would a great milestone for Patrice, but like you, I don't think he should get 53 regular season games this year unless someone goes down with an injury. Even then I might be more partial to Valentenko getting to play for Montreal instead.

I totally agree with you. If someone is injured for 2 or 3 games or just a little bit longer let Breezer play. If someone on the D is injured for a longer period call up Valentenko or Carle and let Breezer stay in the role of the no. 7 d-man who gets some games but not the majority.

I really hope that Patrice plays 60 games this year (best of health to him), however I hope that Carbonneau uses him in the right situations. With the departure of Streit there is a hole in our PP. I have always been of the mindset that there should be at least one right handed shot on the PP, I thought that Philly exploited us that way, and that Kovalev was most dangerous, and had the most room on the PP in the playoffs when Brisebois was on the point with him on the ice, because of the passing and shooting angles. I have serious reservations about using Kovy on the point, especially with Markov, because I think that good penalty killing teams, and players like Richards, the Staals, Drury, etc. will exploit us this way. I also believe that it would limit Markov's effectiveness. That said on the 5 on 3's I would go with Kovy on the point (better shooting angle) and Lang doing some spade work and getting in the goalie's kitchen.

My concern was that Brisebois was used extensively with Hamrlik. He is no longer a #4 d-man. I prefer Markov-Gorges, and Hamrlik-Komisarek (20-25 minutes of pain and suffering for the adversary) as a top 4. Brisebois-Bouillon is a good 3rd pair, although a little weak in front of the net. If Carbo gives Brisebois 5-10 minutes of regular ice time (depending on performance), and 5 minutes of PP time I think it would be effective use of him. Having Laracque on the team who is guy that doesn't play in every situation means that Carbo could also dress Brisebois from time to time as #7, and use him only on the PP.

I'm really happy to have Brisebois back again. I have the #43 on my jersey (circa 2002), and I think he is an integral part of a Cup-winning franchise. I also think that in the absence of an ex d-man on our coaching staff, he can be of help this way, and I look for him to be a mentor to Matthieu Carle, should the kid get some time with the Habs this year.

• 2 weeks later...
i want breeze to play as little as possible this year, last night scared me

I'm glad someone else brought this up. If I did you would all say because I am not a fan of his. He looks even slower than last season. I will give him a chance since he was injured, but I am still not happy with this signing. <_<

Geez, guys, give him a chance. He missed a chunk of preseason with the groin injury. Give him some time to get his legs under him. He's still got the most accurate point shot of any defenseman on our current roster. It's a very crafty shot, not hard, but he knows where to put it.

Geez, guys, give him a chance. He missed a chunk of preseason with the groin injury. Give him some time to get his legs under him. He's still got the most accurate point shot of any defenseman on our current roster. It's a very crafty shot, not hard, but he knows where to put it.

After all, he is old and it takes him longer to heal than the young guys. ;)

I'm glad someone else brought this up. If I did you would all say because I am not a fan of his. He looks even slower than last season. I will give him a chance since he was injured, but I am still not happy with this signing. <_<

he is a exelent d man, always liked him. experience is what we need, he has it,and he showed it by comming back last year,done great ,this year is just starting, he will be a big factor on our teem this year. HABS fan since 1962, you younger guys got to relax, a stanley cup does not come over night. people on this site are to cridacal about players. For once i would like to see EVERYONE suport the team,and players, Sorry CanadienMike but his signing was a good thing.

Archived