The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Mattheiu Schneider

kai-pp1

WOW

Does that mean 1/2 the salary or whats the deal on this?

No, claiming him would basically mean 'Schneider traded for nothing': salary doesn't change. I'm not sure if he'll be claimed or not, you'd think if Montreal or a good team wanted him it would be in their and Anaheim's best interest to trade a late pick for him. I think this says good teams weren't interested at his salary. The only way he gets claimed is say a team like LA that needs to get to the cap, but wasn't willing to give up even a late round pick since they are rebuilding.

If he clears, that should clear the way to either go on reentry waivers (where he'd be claimed for half price), spend the season in the minors with no cap hit, or be bought out.

WOW

Does that mean 1/2 the salary or whats the deal on this?

No if someone grab him you have to pay his 5.65 Millions salary, but if nobody picks him (that's not gonna happen) Anaheim can send him to the re-entry waivers and the team that claims him have to pay half of his salary and anaheim have to pay the other half.

if Phoenix have the chance to take him, they realy should, I think they are like 6th or 7th team who can claim him, if they do they will be realy good this year.

No if someone grab him you have to pay his 5.65 Millions salary, but if nobody picks him (that's not gonna happen) Anaheim can send him to the re-entry waivers and the team that claims him have to pay half of his salary and anaheim have to pay the other half.

if Phoenix have the chance to take him, they realy should, I think they are like 6th or 7th team who can claim him, if they do they will be realy good this year.

I don't really see him going on re-entry waivers. If the Ducks plan to re-sign Selanee, they probably need more cap space than re-entry waivers will save them. A buyout is one possibility, another is if the Ducks owner can stomach the cost, he plays in the AHL.

I don't really see him going on re-entry waivers. If the Ducks plan to re-sign Selanee, they probably need more cap space than re-entry waivers will save them. A buyout is one possibility, another is if the Ducks owner can stomach the cost, he plays in the AHL.

I think he'll get claimed though, a team like LA makes a lot of sense, helps them get to the cap floor and he's on a 1 year contract so they can probably turn him into a substantial asset at the deadline when teams are trading 1st round picks for DMen like him.

I think it says a lot when teams aren't even willing to trade a late round pick for him.

His salary and his age have a lot to do with the apparant lack of interest in dealing for him,but don't discount the effect Sundin has had on most teams' decision making concerning players and cap-hits!In my mind,had Sundin gotten off the potty long ago,there would very likely have been takers in the Schneider sweepstakes once everybody knew where they stood !Too many teams were reserving their plans for after they hear where the big Swede would ultimately end up.Yes,Schneider's salary is too high,but I'm sure there would have been more than one team willing to pay it if they felt he would help balance the odds a little in their favour! ;)

Wow if people think that the 5.7 is alot of money.. 1 yr trerm only

Just wait a few years, Some of these INSANE long term HUGE $ deals will be biting soo many teams in the buttt.. They wont be able to trade them, and the 1/2 salary thing will have to apply

Question, If a player has like 3 yrs left on his term and he clears re entry waivers, does the team getting rid of him, pay 1/2 his salary for the remainder of the contract?

Or is it just for that one year, then the following yr the team who picked him up is paying the full shot..

I can just see alot of these huge contracts not working out, and buyouts/ crazy deals will have to be done..

Question, If a player has like 3 yrs left on his term and he clears re entry waivers, does the team getting rid of him, pay 1/2 his salary for the remainder of the contract?

Or is it just for that one year, then the following yr the team who picked him up is paying the full shot..

50-50 for the remainder of the contract...

CBA 50.9 ( g ) ( ii )

To the extent the Player does require Waivers to be Loaned to a

minor league affiliate, he cannot be Loaned or recalled without

first clearing regular Waivers, and then cannot be Recalled to the

NHL parent Club during the same League Year without also

clearing a new Re-Entry Waiver procedure, pursuant to which the

Player can be claimed by another NHL Club for fifty (50) percent

of the contract's remaining amounts to be paid, with the balance to

be paid by and charged to the waiving NHL Club (both amounts to

be counted against each Club's Upper Limit, Actual Club Salary

and Averaged Club Salary, and counted against the Players'

Share); and

I think the Ducks are screwed big-time as far as Schneider's cap hit goes...

I think the only way to get Schneider significantly off their books (cap wise), other than through a trade, is through re-entry waivers, which still leaves Anaheim on the hook for 50% of the cap hit...

I don't think a buyout is even possible now*... even if a buyout is possible, while it would save them some actual money, it may not offer any relief for the cap... if the Ducks are stuck with Schneider, sending him down would only save them $100k on the cap, the rest of his cap hit still counts as soon as training camp is over**...***

so, it looks like Burke is hoping someone will bite on the re-entry waivers before he has to start offering incentives for someone to take Schneider off his hands because it appears Schneider can't be bought out and sending him down doesn't do much to help the cap...

* buyouts are normally only possible in the last half of June and for a few days after a team's last arbitration hearing... buyouts outside of the 'regular period' are restricted and Anaheim does not qualify this year... I'm not sure if the post-arbitration window is the 'restricted buyout period outside of the regular period' or part of the 'regular period' itself and the rest of the year is 'outside'... regardless, Anaheim did not have any arbitration hearings this year and therefore cannot use an 'outside of the regular period' buyout...

Exhibit 1 SPC

13. The Club, in addition to other rights hereunder, at its option, by written notice delivered to the Player in person, or by overnight mail to the Player's address set forth herein, may terminate this SPC on the following conditions:

( c ) The notice of termination shall be effective if given in the form attached as Exhibit 20, with a copy faxed to the NHLPA and Central Registry as follows:

( i ) beginning the later of June 15 or forty-eight (48) hours after the conclusion of the Stanley Cup Finals and ending at 5:00 p.m. New York time on June 30; and

( ii ) For Clubs who have Club or Player elected Salary Arbitration filings pursuant to Article 12, within the forty-eight (48) hour period beginning on the third day following the later of: (i) the Club's receipt of its last salary arbitration award; or ( ii ) settlement of its last case.

11.18 Ordinary Course Buy-Outs Outside the Regular Period. Clubs shall have the right to exercise Ordinary Course Buy-Outs outside the regular period for Ordinary Course Buy-Outs in accordance with Paragraph 13( c )( ii ) of the SPC. Each Club shall be limited to no more than three (3) such buyouts over the term of this Agreement pursuant to Paragraph 13( c )( ii ) of the SPC. However, in the event that a Club has only one salary arbitration hearing pursuant to Section 12.3( a ) in a given League Year, such Club shall not be entitled to exercise such a buyout outside the regular period for Ordinary Course Buy-Outs.

** some are of the opinion that because Schneider signed a multi-year SPC after his 35th birthday, everything counts against the cap whether he plays or not, no matter where he plays (save for the $100k if it is in the minors), even if he is bought out... others think the buy-out takes precedence... I'm in the former camp, but since it appears he can't be bought out, this is a moot point...

50.5 ( d ) ( i ) ( B ) From the day following the last day of Training Camp until and including June 30 of each League Year, "Averaged Club Salary" (the cap number to you and me) for each Club shall be calculated as the sum of the following amounts:

(3) All Ordinary Course Buyout Amounts paid in that League Year (in accordance with Section 50.9( i )); plus

(5) All Player Salary and Bonuses earned in a League Year by a Player who is in the second or later year of a multi-year SPC which was signed when the Player was age 35 or older (as of June 30 prior to the League Year in which the SPC is to be effective), but which Player is not on the Club's Active Roster, Injured Reserve, Injured Non Roster or Non Roster, and regardless of whether, or where, the Player is playing, except to the extent the Player is playing under his SPC in the minor leagues, in which case only the Player Salary and Bonuses in excess of $100,000 shall count towards the calculation of Averaged Club Salary;

*** all of this is mitigated because the CBA was written by lawyers, not English majors nor logisticians, so there are sometimes contradictory sentences and clauses...

My shock ensues! I mean I know that he's pricey, but he'd be a top 4 dman on just about any team in the league - and probably a top 2 on any team that can afford him...

very surprised he cleared.

I'm somewhat surprised but not shocked.I'm sure Burke shopped him around to everybody before trying the waivers option. I'm guessing he had some interest ,however those teams were looking for a little extra motivation to seal the deal,,, AKA McCabe and a draft pick to dump his salary. I beleive we'll see something similar go down now that he's cleared. Burke is over a barrel right now and the other teams know it and will take advantage.

I'm somewhat surprised but not shocked.I'm sure Burke shopped him around to everybody before trying the waivers option. I'm guessing he had some interest ,however those teams were looking for a little extra motivation to seal the deal,,, AKA McCabe and a draft pick to dump his salary. I beleive we'll see something similar go down now that he's cleared. Burke is over a barrel right now and the other teams know it and will take advantage.

that mean he needs to shop him less than previously? should gaynei try to grab him?

Archived