The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Hall Of Fame For Claude Lemieux?

patinwoody

I liked Claude when he was a Canadien, but don't feel his over-all career numbers warrant entry into the Hall of Fame- He won a bunch of cups with various clubs and played a big part in some of them (good and bad) and that will probably be his legacy- I may be wrong, but I don't think he'll get in.

Let's see:

NHL Totals

Regular season GP: 1197 G: 379 A: 406 Pts: 785 PIM: 1756

Playoffs GP: 233 G:80 A: 78 Pts: 158 PIM: 529

94/95 Conn Smythe Trophy, 20+ years in NHL, 4 Cups, 9th all-time in playoff goals

Judging by that, he's got the numbers, longevity, and cups to be in all the way. He's 9th all time in playoff goals. How can you keep him out? Definitely a clutch playoff performer, but also solid in regular season. I say he's in no problem.

Yes he was a winner wherever he went and a major part of why the teams won. In this case, and in the case of Claude Provost (who should also be in the Hall), stats don't tell the whole story. They were special players, certainly more deserving to be in the Hall of Fame than some there now who were decent, not great, players, who never won a thing.

List is too long to go through but Clark Gillies comes to mind , Cam neely I always wondered about

You're right. Gillies is in there because he contributed with the Islanders dynasty. I still think Lemieux is equally as good as Gilles or better. He won 4 Stanley Cups with 3 different teams and was a big contributer on all of them.

Archived