The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Mn - The Countdown

GIJAYNE

History - Habs situation in 2007 after 22 games:

MN 116 (+1), points 27 (-1), NL 8.5 (+0.5). They occupied 6th (+1) place in the East in the NL standings.

Ottawa, the team #1 by that time, played 21 games with 33 points and 4.5 NL.

The next game (#23) the habs played against Buffalo. I hope the similarities end with this, because the habs lost that one and the MN kept frozen for a while.

Started the month with a win and finished with a win. Not great in between ,but we'll do better in December. ;)

Keep those updates comming Choc. ;)

P.S. How's number 1 doing out there??? Catching up on that sleep yet?? Oops my bad,,,,,that doesnt happen for about another year or so. :P

And here we are - We won over Buffalo, which won over Washington (which won over us) and over Boston (which is the team #1 in the East), which won over Detroit, which is supposed to be the team #1 in the League and to do nothing wrong ...

Current NL standings in the East. Don't forget to press refresh button.

MN_Standings_East.pngPress refresh button to update the images

MN_Signature.png

MN Bonus available for 2008.11.30:

Ottawa lost and we have a decent chance for bonuses tonight.

...1 or 2 bonuses - if Carolina loses to Anaheim (2 bonuses if they loose in regulation)

MN pace - 2.3 points per habs game

MN on Oct. 31 was - 141 (drop by 24 in 9 games, pace 2.67)

Current MN - 113 (drop by 28 in 14 games in November, pace 2.00)

Note, the pace of 2 MN points per habs game is the border line between playoffs and golf pastures. If the pace is higher then 2, the habs are heading to the playoffs. If it is less than 2, we are out. If it is exactly 2, it is a tie break situation.

And here we are - We won over Buffalo, which won over Washington (which won over us) and over Boston (which is the team #1 in the East), which won over Detroit, which is supposed to be the team #1 in the League and to do nothing wrong ...

Current NL standings in the East. Don't forget to press refresh button.

MN_Standings_East.pngPress refresh button to update the images

MN_Signature.png

Correction. Instead of the underlined text, there should be "won over Pittsburgh (which is the team #2 in the East)".

Man things have been quiet in here as of late! 6-5-3 in November is a winning record, we'll put it back together in December and boom right back on top! I predict it and so it shall be!!

I'm thinking MN will be at 90 come the New Year.

You guys are doing a great job keeping this thing going, I know I'm checking in regularly!

GO HABS GO!!!!!

Man things have been quiet in here as of late! 6-5-3 in November is a winning record, we'll put it back together in December and boom right back on top! I predict it and so it shall be!!

I'm thinking MN will be at 90 come the New Year.

You guys are doing a great job keeping this thing going, I know I'm checking in regularly!

GO HABS GO!!!!!

Hey NWT, it is nice to hear from and to get confirmation your spirit is with us!

I think 90 is a bit pessimistic. I hope we will be at around 80 :rolleyes: . Last New Year the MN was 86 after both November and December being worse then this November.

thanks for keeping the number alive choc!

with classes ending, ill see if i cant whip up an update or two for entertainment's sake!

GO HABS GO!!!

General, don' hold your breath, your classes are not going to end ... ever ... :P Been there, done that.

And many thanks to all participants of prediction, scouting and jeopardy shows.

History - 2007 after habs' 23 games:

MN 116 (+5), points 27 (-3), NL 9.5 (+1.5). They occupied 7th (+3) place in the East in the NL standings.

Ottawa, the team #1 by that time, played 22 games with 33 points and 5.5 NL.

After November of 2007:

Games 25 (+2), MN 113 (+2), points 29 (-1), NL 10.5 (+2.5), place 7h (+3)

Team #1 (Ottawa) - 24 games, 34 points ans 7 NL

From the numbers point of view, the last year November was worse, than this November:

Last year habs played 14 games (like this year) and the MN dropped by 26 (vs 30, this year). Meaning the MN pace was 1.86, i.e. below the playoffs level (vs 2.14 this year).

MN Pace and season forecast at the end of November 1st

(The first table is the forecast after October)

MNPace_Standings_East_2008-11-01.png .... MNPace_Standings_East_2008-12-01.png

Notes:

g - games played so far

npl - net points loss per game pace

pt - points per game pace

Projected points - self explanatory

Go (NO-GO) - the magic number pace, estimated playoffs clinching (elimination) game #/ date.

MN Bonus available for 2008.12.01:

There are no bonuses till this Thursday. By that time, losses to Toronto, Buffalo, and Ottawa will increase chances to get bonuses by then. Toronto and Buffalo are playing tonight (lets assume I am writing this after midnight).

MN pace - 2.4 points per habs game

MN on Nov. 30 was - 111 (drop by 30 in 14 games in November, pace 2.14)

Current MN - 111 (drop by 0 in 0 games in December)

Note, the pace of 2 MN points per habs game is the border line between playoffs and golf pastures. If the pace is higher then 2, the habs are heading to the playoffs. If it is less than 2, we are out. If it is exactly 2, it is a tie break situation.

MN Pace and season forecast at the end of November 1st

(The first table is the forecast after October)

MNPace_Standings_East_2008-11-01.png .... MNPace_Standings_East_2008-12-01.png

Notes:

g - games played so far

npl - net points loss per game pace

pt - points per game pace

Projected points - self explanatory

Go (NO-GO) - the magic number pace, estimated playoffs clinching (elimination) game #/ date.

excellent excellent stuff choc, great information

MN Bonus available for 2008.12.02:

There are no bonuses till this Thursday. Of the teams that can help to increase chances of getting bonuses, Buffalo did their job, but Toronto refused to do so. They have a chance to redeem themselves tonight. A loss to Florida would increase chances of getting 2 bonuses on Thursday.

MN pace - 2.4 points per habs game

Current MN - 111 (drop by 0 in 0 games in December)

we have taken a heck of a drop from october, but still are better than last year! thats awesome!

anybody ney saying this team needs to lighten up and see that the season has only just begun.

w00t for the bonuses!

Yes, and the November of this year is better, then November of the last year. Only the expectations are much higher this time. The last year December was also not a good one, with MN pace still below 2.00. It was followed by marvelously good January. Lets see what the pattern will be this year ...

On Expectations And How To Thrash Them

Greetings MNers and w00ters alike!

with dagz mia on business, and the likes of classes missing from my schedule, i was thinking...why not give these good people something to read about? something different...something very un-"habs forum" like.

And so today's topic, expectations!

I'll agree with the rest of you that when all the signings were said and done at the end of this summer, this team, our habs, finally looked like a championship team worthy of all the credit the league and know it alls refused to give them last season. They finally had an offensive line to trust, at the time the kovalev line, they finally had a captain ready and willing to fight for this club, they finally gave that captain weapons to fight with, Alex Tanguay, and they finally aquired a surprising third line center which could be the wild card of this team, offensive prowess? mr. Lang does have the resume for it!

The youth core finally had some playoff experience and the number 1 goaltender came back lighter, leaner and as expected with anyone described in such a way, hungrier than ever! mistakes had been made and this was the season to rectify that. This was the season to prove that the Montreal Canadiens were ready yet again to assume the mantle of a dominating team and boy were the fans ever ready.

The season began more than 2 months ago, and the situation in my opinion is as it should be. The Habs, our beloved Habs, find themselves in 4th place in the net loss standings(the true standings as far as this general is concerned!) 6 behind of Boston and 5 ahead of Buffalo. There are no buts ifs or maybes. Which is something we haven't seen in how long? 10...15...20 years? In past seasons there was always someone nipping at our heals until the very last possible second where said someone either passed us or we stayed ahead. Now yes i know it's only 5 points...2 regulation losses and an OT/SO loss away which is still very possible...but must you be so negative?

And can't we say the same for Boston? are we not simply 3 regulation losses away from the big bad Bruins? do we not have the talent necessary to catch up and surpass this team?

The answer is and always will be yes, thanks to the men in charge of this team.

The problem clearly isn't talent. It isn't chemistry either as this team has shown flashes of brilliance time and again. The problem has been made blatently obvious, but ofcourse in the city of Montreal...the voice of the Epsilons is always heard above the voice of positive proactive reasoning...

The problem ladies and gents resides within O'byrne and Sergei Kostitsyn.

Now hold up a minute! Let's not draw out the pitchforks just yet and demand to burn me at the stake!

I said that the problem resides within these two players, because its a problem the whole team is facing but these two are blatantly displaying it.

Immaturity, Inexperience and Confidence.

This is what this team is suffering from. This can not be gained by trading players, or firing coaches or demanding the heads of GMs...these attributes are gained through playing through the rough patches, by displaying confidence in said players and a little discipline every now and then. This is what was done to O'byrne, who has already bounced back in my opinion and will continue on learning, and i believe this is what is being done with Sergei and Ternderness tonight vs the Thrashers.

Now it's up to the boys to understand the message and put that extra effort in and walk away with a heck of a win!

Keep w00ting for the home team,

General over and out.

On Expectations And How To Thrash Them

Greetings MNers and w00ters alike!

with dagz mia on business, and the likes of classes missing from my schedule, i was thinking...why not give these good people something to read about? something different...something very un-"habs forum" like.

And so today's topic, expectations!

I'll agree with the rest of you that when all the signings were said and done at the end of this summer, this team, our habs, finally looked like a championship team worthy of all the credit the league and know it alls refused to give them last season. They finally had an offensive line to trust, at the time the kovalev line, they finally had a captain ready and willing to fight for this club, they finally gave that captain weapons to fight with, Alex Tanguay, and they finally aquired a surprising third line center which could be the wild card of this team, offensive prowess? mr. Lang does have the resume for it!

The youth core finally had some playoff experience and the number 1 goaltender came back lighter, leaner and as expected with anyone described in such a way, hungrier than ever! mistakes had been made and this was the season to rectify that. This was the season to prove that the Montreal Canadiens were ready yet again to assume the mantle of a dominating team and boy were the fans ever ready.

The season began more than 2 months ago, and the situation in my opinion is as it should be. The Habs, our beloved Habs, find themselves in 4th place in the net loss standings(the true standings as far as this general is concerned!) 6 behind of Boston and 5 ahead of Buffalo. There are no buts ifs or maybes. Which is something we haven't seen in how long? 10...15...20 years? In past seasons there was always someone nipping at our heals until the very last possible second where said someone either passed us or we stayed ahead. Now yes i know it's only 5 points...2 regulation losses and an OT/SO loss away which is still very possible...but must you be so negative?

And can't we say the same for Boston? are we not simply 3 regulation losses away from the big bad Bruins? do we not have the talent necessary to catch up and surpass this team?

The answer is and always will be yes, thanks to the men in charge of this team.

The problem clearly isn't talent. It isn't chemistry either as this team has shown flashes of brilliance time and again. The problem has been made blatently obvious, but ofcourse in the city of Montreal...the voice of the Epsilons is always heard above the voice of positive proactive reasoning...

The problem ladies and gents resides within O'byrne and Sergei Kostitsyn.

Now hold up a minute! Let's not draw out the pitchforks just yet and demand to burn me at the stake!

I said that the problem resides within these two players, because its a problem the whole team is facing but these two are blatantly displaying it.

Immaturity, Inexperience and Confidence.

This is what this team is suffering from. This can not be gained by trading players, or firing coaches or demanding the heads of GMs...these attributes are gained through playing through the rough patches, by displaying confidence in said players and a little discipline every now and then. This is what was done to O'byrne, who has already bounced back in my opinion and will continue on learning, and i believe this is what is being done with Sergei and Ternderness tonight vs the Thrashers.

Now it's up to the boys to understand the message and put that extra effort in and walk away with a heck of a win!

Keep w00ting for the home team,

General over and out.

Very positive post TEUS :D

might as well go two in a day today!

40 Minutes of Confident Habs Hockey Made All The Difference

Well? Well?!?

Can we give this young wanna be engineer some credit or what? my math may be off at times, and i may rant more than analyze(it's coming don't worry!) but when something is as strikingly obvious as a squirrel doing a triple moon sault looptiloop, you gotta call it for what it is: a forest critter discovering ice for the first time and not a world champion figure skater.

40 minutes is all the boys needed, albeit they let it slip against a hard working team, but 40 minutes was all that was truly necessary to bank the points in the books and move on to think of something else. And for one i'd say quit worrying about which line your on and who your playing with next game or even next shift. If the message hasn't been heard by the fans yet i think this team should have gotten it right by now, work hard and things will happen!

Young Matt D'Agostini is the perfect example of that. Nothing fancy, no monster deekes and i sure as hell wouldnt say the kid has the next 50 goal scoring wrist shot given to him by the oh so great hockey gods...nope. All he had to do was follow the play and stand in front of the net and he gets to walk away with his first in the big leagues and one he will remember for sure.

I could speak on the lack of playing a full 60 minute game could bite this team on the behind sometime soon...just like i could rant away about how the zebras need a complete overhaul staff wise and maybe a better optometrist plan...i could speak about how we gave the thrashers a 5 on 4 which resulted in them coming back into this game...but let's face it, if your reading this it's because your sick of reading all those other things on the regular forums and you're looking for a fresh new look on things, so welcome, and please don't be afraid to give your own fresh outlook on this team. we dont bite!

so gents, keep w00ting for the home team,

General over and out.

W00t to the General! And my apologies to him and others reading this thread with the continuous delay (2 days) of updating MN tables. The reason is change in the format of standings pages of the NHL related sites (tsn.ca this time). I don't have time in the moment to accommodate our spreadsheet to this change. I will update data manually later today or tomorrow. Fortunately the bonus spreadsheet is not affected.

The official MN is 109

MN Bonus available for 2008.12.03:

There are no bonuses for tonight. Toronto redeemed themselves and lost. Now it is Ottawa's turn to give us a really good chance for bonuses tomorrow.

MN pace - 2.3 points per habs game

MN on Oct. 31 was - 141 (drop by 24 in 9 games in October, pace 2.67)

Current MN - 109 (drop by 2 in 1 games in December, pace 2.00)

Archived