The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Mn - The Countdown

GIJAYNE

HLD_sig.jpg

AROU YOU READY TO KOIVU?!

Sweet…two brothers, the captains of their respective teams, facing off against each other tonight (starting from the opening face off I presume) in the NHL. Boy would I love to be a fly on the wall during the Koivu’s Christmas get together this year. This game has bragging right written all over it. The team who wins will crown one brother as superior to the other, so we can expect both Koivu’s to play at the top of their game. This could potentially be a good thing for us, if the young Koivu lets his emotions get the better of him, and tries to attack too much, thus opening the crap trap game Minnesota likes to curse the world with.

We have had difficulty last year against teams that play this style of game, and are repeating the same patter this year. I will be hoping in a pessimistic fashion that we can not only deal with this style of game, but dominate it. The key is to score the first goal and score on the power plays, thus forcing the opposing crap trap to open up in an attempt to increase scoring chances. Our problem of course has been to score first and on the power play. Here’s hoping we can win this one without chewing through what little remains I have on my finger nails.

PS Some members have been having trouble refreshing the MN Table and NL standings. If the refresh button doesn’t fix it, we found that logging off and back on to the forum helps fix the problem.

NL STANDINGS OCTOBER 30, 2008:

POST.jpg

ah thy sweet smell of hockey in the evening.

order me one of dem brotherly love combos please! with a side order of chicken wings!

score five on em boys! :D

HLD_sig.jpg

AROU YOU READY TO KOIVU?!

Sweet…two brothers, the captains of their respective teams, facing off against each other tonight (starting from the opening face off I presume) in the NHL. Boy would I love to be a fly on the wall during the Koivu’s Christmas get together this year. This game has bragging right written all over it. The team who wins will crown one brother as superior to the other, so we can expect both Koivu’s to play at the top of their game. This could potentially be a good thing for us, if the young Koivu lets his emotions get the better of him, and tries to attack too much, thus opening the crap trap game Minnesota likes to curse the world with.

We have had difficulty last year against teams that play this style of game, and are repeating the same patter this year. I will be hoping in a pessimistic fashion that we can not only deal with this style of game, but dominate it. The key is to score the first goal and score on the power plays, thus forcing the opposing crap trap to open up in an attempt to increase scoring chances. Our problem of course has been to score first and on the power play. Here’s hoping we can win this one without chewing through what little remains I have on my finger nails.

PS Some members have been having trouble refreshing the MN Table and NL standings. If the refresh button doesn’t fix it, we found that logging off and back on to the forum helps fix the problem.

NL STANDINGS OCTOBER 30, 2008:

POST.jpg

Saku is currently the 2 time superior brother, mikko will be hungry im sure lol

Had wings last night and I'm still HUNGRY!!!

Looking forward to the game..... mmmm.....let's get 'er done for the 'Teus. (Worked last time against the candycanes)

Go Habs GO!!!!

yknow i can get used to this sort of special treatment ;)

not a bad game, the whistles had there fun in it too! haha!

horrible officiating but an UPDATE is needed none the less!

oooooooooooooh daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagz!?!

yknow i can get used to this sort of special treatment ;)

not a bad game, the whistles had there fun in it too! haha!

horrible officiating but an UPDATE is needed none the less!

oooooooooooooh daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagz!?!

Better beleive it. :D

A more concerted effort and .... VOILA :D

w00t!!! w00t!!! w00t!!!

Habs pass the test

The 1st 5 minutes had me thinking this was gonna be a long night but we didnt wait 40 minutes to wake up this time.I couldnt beleive our PK tonight. Simply WOW. Some brutal calls and tons of more deserving ones being ignored. Typical zebra night i guess :rolleyes: Good ending to the month of Oct. as the Wild was one of those teams to take serious;)

HLD_sig.jpg

I HAD A DREAM…

Last night my sub-conscious was taken to a ride to left field, when the usual suspects in my dream world consisting of the likes of Angelina JoLee, Scarlet Johanson, any of the heroines from the Austin Powers series and the double mint twins (together of course) were replaces with the storky outline of Chris Lee. Turns out Chris Lee doesn’t look as good in a red cocktail dress, but after haven subconsciously take a baseball bat to his face, forced him to sit through a whole Abba album and fed him through a wood chipper he was just as fulfilling. He was back to his antics last night, and anyone who disagrees that he is monumentally biased against the HABS is a blind fool who’s mental incapacities can rival the Crazy Cat Suit Man (speaking of which, haven’t seen Crazy Cat Suit Man yet…hope he’s OK).

With the exception of one or two, I’ll give it to the refs that they called valid penalties against us…no argument there. However they let the Wild go Wild on us and missed a few calls and decided to knit pick against the Bleu Blanc et Rouge as a direct result of a hissy fit by Jacques Lemaire. I suppose it is the reality of the game that junior refs are susceptible to the influence of established coaches.

In the meanwhile it was great practice for our PK, and a game like this can really get them on a roll and point them down the right track. Superb show for Carey Price and it was good to see Markov pot his first goal…it was long overdue and well deserved.

On a final not…I hate Chris Lee.

HLD_HomerChokingChrisLeecopy.jpg

NL STANDINGS OCTOBER 31

POST.jpg

Let's give a round of applause for the Habs "doing it for the 'Teus".!! Works like a charm and so far every time!

This was a headline in an article, "... Montreal Canadiens weren't at their best on Thursday night but they still managed to (win) hold off the Minnesota Wild 2-1 in St. Paul, Minn". Found humour in the headline because that headline could of been used for the Habs last 7 games. :lol: Gotta hand it to the Cardiac Kids, trip after trip to the penalty box and at the end of it, the Wilds' were 0-10. As I had mentioned before, I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing.... definitely a very fine line that the Habs are walking on... a fun, frustrating, exciting, painful at times, oh man oh man kind of fine line.

Tough loss for Minny and their fans last night.

Oh yeah, almost forgot....

Dancing Queen (Abba):

You (Chris Lee) can dance, you (Chris Lee) can jive

having the time of your life (calling penalty after penalty against the Habs)

see that girl, watch that scene ('cuz you're obviously ignoring and not call the Wilds penalties)

dig in the Dancing Queen (youu're a jerk, youu'rre a jerk, you dancing zebra queen)

MN Pace by November 1st

First month of the season has passed. There are no more games in the East in October. It is time for the first MN pace data.

Here is the final standing as estimated with the current ponts progression pace. The numbers at the top and the bottom of the table is still pretty much speculative as the season is still too young. But the numbers at the middle looks reasonable. The team #9 is estimated to have 90 points. Last season it was 92 points.

I will update the table at the end of each month and will use separate images to display it. Therefore the images will be intact by the end of the season and all interested can go back and compare the estimates with the actual results.

MNPace_Standings_East_2008-11-01.png

Notes:

g - games played so far

npl - net points loss per game pace

pt - points per game pace

Projected points - self explanatory

PS - Does anyone know how to display image without reducing it size?

Go (NO-GO) - the magic number pace, estimated playoffs clinching (elimination) game #/ date.

Cool stats up there Choc. ;) Its going to be interesting as the year goes by.

As for last nights referee nightmare,,,,,i have a theory. After the Ref made his blown call on Mikko which resulted in our go ahead goal, i suspect the ref did his ultimate best to get in that make up call.The guilt he felt from his incompetence is most likely the reason he continued to make one way calls the rest of the game in the hopes we would give back the goal that he caused.Too bad we ruined his plan. :P:lol::lol:

History - Habs situation after October 2007:

Habs played 11 (+2) games, got 15 (=) points and 3.5 (+2) NL. They occupied 4th (+3) place in the East in the NL standings.

Ottawa, the team #1 by that time, played 10 games with 18 points and 1.0 NL.

I forgot o mention the MN was 139 (-2) one year ago.

MN Bonus available for 2008.11.01:

...1 bonus - possible - if 2 of the following 3 happen:

...... Boston loses to Dallas

...... Toronto loses to Rangers

...... Tampa loses to Ottawa

...2 bonuses - unlikely - if 4 of the following 5 happen:

...... Boston loses to Dallas in regulation

...... Toronto loses to Rangers in regulation

...... Tampa loses to Ottawa in regulation

...... Florida loses to Nashville

...... Pittsburgh loses to St Louis

MN pace - 2.7 (this is huge!) points per habs game

MN on Oct. 31 was - 141 (drop by 24 in 9 games, pace 2.67)

Current MN - 141 (drop by 0 in 0 games in November, pace 0)

Note, the pace of 2 MN points per habs game is the border line between playoffs and golf pastures. If the pace is higher then 2, the habs are heading to the playoffs. If it is less than 2, we are out. If it is exactly 2, it is a tie break situation.

WOW AGAIN. Twenty minutes of hockey. :blink:

I had friends over again tonight wanting me to turn off the game after 2 periods, and i simply told them,,,,,,if you dont like it then get out. :lol: They called me a brute for punishment, and my reply was,,,support in the good times and the bad is what makes a true fan. I then sarcasticly reminded them of the miracle against another New York team last year, and they responded with,,,,lightning never strikes the same place twice. GUESS WHAT :D

WOW AGAIN. Twenty minutes of hockey. :blink:

I had friends over again tonight wanting me to turn off the game after 2 periods, and i simply told them,,,,,,if you dont like it then get out. :lol: They called me a brute for punishment, and my reply was,,,support in the good times and the bad is what makes a true fan. I then sarcasticly reminded them of the miracle against another New York team last year, and they responded with,,,,lightning never strikes the same place twice. GUESS WHAT :D

Twenty... I thought it was fifteen ;) My wife wondered why it was so quite for the better part of the Game as she was watching a movie (called "Blink") The Islanders made the mistake of "Blinking" a little too often in the third. Kovy and Pleks had 4 point nights... that's a relief... they were the relief as Koivu's line took the night off... Koivu was the best man in the face-off circle though (Hmmm...)

w00t!!! Go Habs Go!

Twenty... I thought it was fifteen ;) My wife wondered why it was so quite for the better part of the Game as she was watching a movie (called "Blink") The Islanders made the mistake of "Blinking" a little too often in the third. Kovy and Pleks had 4 point nights... that's a relief... they were the relief as Koivu's line took the night off... Koivu was the best man in the face-off circle though (Hmmm...)

w00t!!! Go Habs Go!

I said 20 because we only gave the Islanders 4 shots in that period. Your right though if we say it only took 12 to 15 minutes to make the comeback. ;)

HLD_sig.jpg

THINGS THAT MAKE YOU HMMMMM…

Today is a good kind of day. Today is the day the bandwagonners are filtered from the die-hard hard core, give my first born for season tickets kind of fans. The often pretentious HFWB, short for habs fan wanna be, will be whining about how they missed an awesome come back after they changed the channel during the second intermission. Today, as the HFWBs slowly emerge from their caverns full of lies, I will be able to look them in the eye and give them a piece of my mind, guilt free.

The HFWB are one thing, but last night there was a bigger target in my eyes. Joel Bouchard made a new enemy in me last night, which mean…well absolutely nothing. I’m too lazy to even make a prank call, but he’ll still be hung out to dry in this article.

During the second intermission, he actually said, and I quote “J’espere que les Canadiens perd cette rencontre”. Translation…he’s a douche. Now I’ll admit, the context in which he said was that it would serve a valuable learning experience for the team, so this kind of lazy underestimating the opponent none-sense does not repeat its self past January. However, there are two big taboos in my eyes in the hockey world:

1) NEVER wish for a HABS loss

2) NEVER wish for a Leafs win

It was apparent that the lesson was learnt after two periods of epsilonic hockey, and the team demonstrated that with their play in the third. Sure the goals started coming in the last 15 minutes, but the style changed from the face-off to begin the period. The Islanders got a dose of reality and were kept to a hand full of shots, most of which came in the last 30 seconds in a desperate attempt to un-do a colossal failure on their part.

So Joel gets one strike in my book, but once again I’m too lazy to keep track of these things, so he’ll be OK by days end. He has an extremely knowledgeable hockey mind, and he makes up for his poor TV presence with quality thoughts and constructive analysis of the teams. BUT, if he doesn’t want to go the way of Don I used motel drapes for a suit Cherry, he has to never, ever, EVER wish for a HABS loss EVER again.

NL STANDINGS NOVEMBER 2

POST.jpg

MN Bonus available for 2008.11.02:

We did not get any bonuses yesterday. West did not help. Toronto did not help. They still have a chance to help today, though. West has to win and Toronto has to loose (or if they win, they have to do it in regulation). Only one bonus is available.

...1 bonus - possible - if both of the following 2 happen:

...... Philadelphia loses to Edmonton

...... Toronto vs Carolina game does not end with Toronto winning in OT/SO

MN pace - 2.6 (this is huge!) points per habs game

Current MN - 139 (drop by 2 in 1 games in November, pace 2.0)

Note, the pace of 2 MN points per habs game is the border line between playoffs and golf pastures. If the pace is higher then 2, the habs are heading to the playoffs. If it is less than 2, we are out. If it is exactly 2, it is a tie break situation.

HLD_sig.jpg

THINGS THAT MAKE YOU HMMMMM…

Today is a good kind of day. Today is the day the bandwagonners are filtered from the die-hard hard core, give my first born for season tickets kind of fans. The often pretentious HFWB, short for habs fan wanna be, will be whining about how they missed an awesome come back after they changed the channel during the second intermission. Today, as the HFWBs slowly emerge from their caverns full of lies, I will be able to look them in the eye and give them a piece of my mind, guilt free.

The HFWB are one thing, but last night there was a bigger target in my eyes. Joel Bouchard made a new enemy in me last night, which mean…well absolutely nothing. I’m too lazy to even make a prank call, but he’ll still be hung out to dry in this article.

During the second intermission, he actually said, and I quote “J’espere que les Canadiens perd cette rencontre”. Translation…he’s a douche. Now I’ll admit, the context in which he said was that it would serve a valuable learning experience for the team, so this kind of lazy underestimating the opponent none-sense does not repeat its self past January. However, there are two big taboos in my eyes in the hockey world:

1) NEVER wish for a HABS loss

2) NEVER wish for a Leafs win

It was apparent that the lesson was learnt after two periods of epsilonic hockey, and the team demonstrated that with their play in the third. Sure the goals started coming in the last 15 minutes, but the style changed from the face-off to begin the period. The Islanders got a dose of reality and were kept to a hand full of shots, most of which came in the last 30 seconds in a desperate attempt to un-do a colossal failure on their part.

So Joel gets one strike in my book, but once again I’m too lazy to keep track of these things, so he’ll be OK by days end. He has an extremely knowledgeable hockey mind, and he makes up for his poor TV presence with quality thoughts and constructive analysis of the teams. BUT, if he doesn’t want to go the way of Don I used motel drapes for a suit Cherry, he has to never, ever, EVER wish for a HABS loss EVER again.

NL STANDINGS NOVEMBER 2

POST.jpg

i gotta admit it was one heck of a comeback and it felt good to see kost-pleks-kovy light it up to lead the way.

great update dagz!

i gotta find some way to get habs games in the habs taboo household of the gf...*sigh* the things one does in the name of ;)

MN Bonus available for 2008.11.02:

We did not get any bonuses yesterday. West did not help. Toronto did not help. They still have a chance to help today, though. West has to win and Toronto has to loose (or if they win, they have to do it in regulation). Only one bonus is available.

...1 bonus - possible - if both of the following 2 happen:

...... Philadelphia loses to Edmonton

...... Toronto vs Carolina game does not end with Toronto winning in OT/SO

MN pace - 2.6 (this is huge!) points per habs game

Current MN - 139 (drop by 2 in 1 games in November, pace 2.0)

the bonuses have been pissing me off lately, every game goes into OT or SO :angry:

Archived