The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Habs Signed Fa Goalie Robert Mayer

MWildFan00

Is he off to the ECHL or is he going to stay in the Q?
if I'm not mistaken, he isn't eligible to play in the AHL (according to an NHL-CHL agreement) because he isn't old enough nor has played enough junior hockey seasons... but I don't know if the agreement also applies to the ECHL... I would think so because, basically, the CHL wants its players who aren't ready for the NHL to be returned to their junior clubs instead of being sent to the minors...

if I'm not mistaken, he isn't eligible to play in the AHL (according to an NHL-CHL agreement) because he isn't old enough nor has played enough junior hockey seasons... but I don't know if the agreement also applies to the ECHL... I would think so because, basically, the CHL wants its players who aren't ready for the NHL to be returned to their junior clubs instead of being sent to the minors...

Maybe the part about not having enough games in the juniors is correct, but i'm not so sure about the age part. I dont see why his age would be a problem since he's 19 years old.

AHL Age and Eligibility Rules

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since this question seems to come up over and over again:

There is a private agreement in place between the NHL and the CHL that governs when a player coming from the CHL can play in the AHL. A player from the CHL has to either turn 20 by December 31st of the season (ie a player born in 1987 can start playing in the 2007-08 season, a player born in 1988 can start playing in the 2008-09 season etc.) OR have completed 4 seasons of junior eligibility. This agreement also covers European players if they are drafted out of the CHL (Examples would be players like Petr Vrana and Ivan Vishnevskiy). Also - CHL players are eligible to play in the AHL once their junior season is over (either by virtue of their junior team not making the playoffs or being eliminated from the playoffs) even if they don't yet meet the age or eligibility criteria listed above.

College players and European players (provided they are drafted out of Europe--even if they later play in the CHL) are not covered by this agreement. They only have to abide by the AHL's age requirement, which is that a player has to turn 18 by September 15 of any given season to be eligible to play. While you won't see many 18-year olds in the AHL, some European players have played at that age (e.g. Niklas Bergfors)

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=403429

Ah i didn't know that sorry.

Anyway; Robert Mayer - Born Oct 9 1989 -- Zurich, Switzerlan

He will be 20 by December 31st, so technically he would be allowed, not that it will happen :P

Absolutely no need to apologize to me. ;) I was only posting info that i found on line. I wasnt commenting either way. :D

1. Price

2. Halak

3. Denis

4. Desjardins

5. Jason Missiaen

6. Robert Mayer

I think you forgot Loic Lacasse. :D

I am not surprised by this move as Denis has a one year contract and Missiaen has two years left in Junior. Mayer will finish in the Q this year and play in the pros next year. Definitely a depth move and like QbGamer stated it did not cost the Habs a draft pick.

Only time will tell whether he can develop into an NHL goalie. Afterall, Cedrick Desjardins went undrafted and seems to be developing well in the minors.

Well, I'm glad I spend time reading these posts. I was confused as all get-out with respect to this signing but I guess, given it cost us nothing and nobody, it's all good.

I couldn't help wondering, though, if Gainey was just trying to sign every goaltender he could find and force other teams to start a pilon between the pipes.

Well, I'm glad I spend time reading these posts. I was confused as all get-out with respect to this signing but I guess, given it cost us nothing and nobody, it's all good.

I couldn't help wondering, though, if Gainey was just trying to sign every goaltender he could find and force other teams to start a pilon between the pipes.

That strategy just might work. :lol::lol::lol:

Archived