The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

What's The Best Game You've Ever Attended?

Cliffster

The start of the new NHL season is just a few hours away. A time of year when a young mans thoughts turn to, well hockey. I for one don’t think that I could have waited a day longer. Don’t get me wrong, summer is great, but there are times when I really miss hockey during the middle of summer. My wife can attest to that.

It got me to thinking about the great games that I’ve been to over the years, so I wrote a post about it on my blog. At any rate, the best game that I've been to was the one and only game that I've seen in Montreal. We were playing the Sens, and as a long time Habs fan to be in the same building as 21,272 of my closest friends was so special. What struck me first was walking into the Bell Centre, looking up, and seeing the rafters for the first time. All those banners and sweaters of the greats from the past.

I’d seen the Canadiens play in Vancouver and Edmonton but always as a visitor. It’s hard to really give it your all when you’re a fan in someone else's barn. Sure I’ll stand up and cheer when they score, and accept the mockery and abuse when they are scored on, but I have respect for where I am and don’t get into the “Go Habs Go” chant. The freedom to cheer my team, with my people, and to roar with approval and groan in disappointment in unison was such a freeing experience. Problem is we lost 4-0 that night so I still haven’t seen them score a goal in Montreal. Highlights of the game were Jose Theodore stopping Daniel Alfredsson on a penalty shot, and the Habs and Sens fans unifying to chant “Leafs Suck”.

I'm going to do my best to cash in some airline points to get out for a game this year. It means a lot to me to see a game in the centennial season. I hope that I can make it happen.

Would love to hear stories of some of the great games that you've attended.

I think we have had threads like this before. But I will comtribute anyway.

The best game I ever saw was my only game at the Montreal Forum.

June 3rd 1993. Game 2 of the Stanley Cup Finals.

With just minutes left and trailing 2-1, Coach Jaques Demers complained to the officals that Marty McSorly of the Kings had what appeared to be a illegal curve on his stick. The Refs messured his blade and determined that Demers was right. The Habs went on the Power Play and also pulled Patrick Roy turint there advantage to a 6 on 4.

Eric Dejardens scored his 2nd goal of the night to send the game to OT. He then scored again in OT completing that Hat Trick and tieing the Series at 1 game a piece.

The Habs went on to win their 24th Cup and many cosider this night the key point in the series.

I have scne a lot of Great games lots at Maple Leaf Gardens, The ACC, The Bell Centre and a pair at HSBC and the Scotia Bank Place.. But it is my one and only trip to the Forum thats stands above them all.

Friday, March 28th, 2008 - HSBC Arena, Buffalo.

2:34 remaining in the third period. Habs down 3-1.

Sabres fans behind us are cheering as loud as they can, bashing the habs in whatever way they can, and loving every minute of it.

Sitting in my seet dissapointed, I look up to Plekanec put one past miller to pull the habs within a goal. Suddenly I relized we were back in this game.

Two minutes later montreal is controlling it in Buffalo's zone, and the clock ticks down, I wonder if it is still possible to tie it up with the little time remaining. Sure enough, with 15 seconds left, Plekanec puts another one past miller! est le but! Every habs fan in the building goes nuts. The buffalo fans behind me begin to stop chanting and start to sit down. This game was going to over time, and we all knew we were going to win it.

Surely enough, 3:38 in, Higgins puts on in the net to seal the deal. As the buffalo fans march quietly out of HSBC, all you can hear is chants of "Go Habs Go!" , and "Ole, Ole Ole Ole!".

As we get on the escalator, hundreds of habs fans are gathered in the foyer bellow us chanting. My buddy and I hold out our habs fag as high as we can, for everyone to see - and the fans down bellow respond with a roaring applause.

Once we get down we join more of our fellow fans and chant until security guards come and start pushing people out onto the street, where the party continued. We were #1 again, and we wanted all of Buffalo to know.

Les Canadiens Sont La!

I think we have had threads like this before. But I will comtribute anyway.

The best game I ever saw was my only game at the Montreal Forum.

June 3rd 1993. Game 2 of the Stanley Cup Finals.

With just minutes left and trailing 2-1, Coach Jaques Demers complained to the officals that Marty McSorly of the Kings had what appeared to be a illegal curve on his stick. The Refs messured his blade and determined that Demers was right. The Habs went on the Power Play and also pulled Patrick Roy turint there advantage to a 6 on 4.

Eric Dejardens scored his 2nd goal of the night to send the game to OT. He then scored again in OT completing that Hat Trick and tieing the Series at 1 game a piece.

The Habs went on to win their 24th Cup and many cosider this night the key point in the series.

Wow, I can't believe that you were at that game in person. Next to being at the game when they clinched the series, that one was probably the best. Maybe of the entire playoffs.

Most memorable was when Gainey was set to retire and he scored a hatrick that night and when habs met philly in eastern final year 198? Chelly and Corson put puck in Phills net after warmup and Resche came out and tackled Corson right in front of my dad and I. Wont say best game ever but hard to forget it .

Guy Lafleur's last game at the Montreal Forum - while as a Nordique - there was something like a 5 minute standing ovation

1979 Montreal vs Toronto Playoff game at MLG - when into double OT and Cam Connor scored

I have a short video clip of Lafleurs last game at the forum - the cheers were deafening - although with time the quality of sound is going down. I'd wanted to post a link where you people could watch this video, but unfortunately the link has expired.

Any of you who so wish can contact me by private PM ( if you are willing to give an e-mail addy), and I'd be glad to send along the vid of Guys last game at the Forum as a Nordigue from my saved downloads.

Most memorable was when Gainey was set to retire and he scored a hatrick that night and when habs met philly in eastern final year 198? Chelly and Corson put puck in Phills net after warmup and Resche came out and tackled Corson right in front of my dad and I. Wont say best game ever but hard to forget it .

I loved the battles between the Habs and Flyers during the late 80's

Friday, March 28th, 2008 - HSBC Arena, Buffalo.

2:34 remaining in the third period. Habs down 3-1.

Sabres fans behind us are cheering as loud as they can, bashing the habs in whatever way they can, and loving every minute of it.

Sitting in my seet dissapointed, I look up to Plekanec put one past miller to pull the habs within a goal. Suddenly I relized we were back in this game.

Two minutes later montreal is controlling it in Buffalo's zone, and the clock ticks down, I wonder if it is still possible to tie it up with the little time remaining. Sure enough, with 15 seconds left, Plekanec puts another one past miller! est le but! Every habs fan in the building goes nuts. The buffalo fans behind me begin to stop chanting and start to sit down. This game was going to over time, and we all knew we were going to win it.

Surely enough, 3:38 in, Higgins puts on in the net to seal the deal. As the buffalo fans march quietly out of HSBC, all you can hear is chants of "Go Habs Go!" , and "Ole, Ole Ole Ole!".

As we get on the escalator, hundreds of habs fans are gathered in the foyer bellow us chanting. My buddy and I hold out our habs fag as high as we can, for everyone to see - and the fans down bellow respond with a roaring applause.

Once we get down we join more of our fellow fans and chant until security guards come and start pushing people out onto the street, where the party continued. We were #1 again, and we wanted all of Buffalo to know.

Les Canadiens Sont La!

I was at this game too! Just reading your post and remembering it gave me goosebumps... What a night. I was sitting next to some other Habs fans that I never met until that night, and my sister, a Sabres fan on the other side of me. I've never screamed that loud in my life. Walking out of the arena, chanting, "ole ole oleeeeee," and carrying it out into the streets... WOW.

And, to top it all off... this was my FIRST and ONLY NHL game so far. I sure got a treat :)

December 2nd, 2006. Habs vs Leafs at the Bell. My first Habs-Leafs game, sitting in the 4th row. Late in the first, Francis Bouillon drops Darcy Tucker with one punch in the corner, about 20 feet away from where I'm sitting. Leafs lead 3-1 with about 10 minutes to go in the 3rd, looked like it was over. Saku scores twice, one with 8:43 left and one with 4:36. Game goes to overtime which was the most intense period of hockey I've ever seen. Nothing. Shootout. Kovalev goes first for Montreal and gets stopped by Raycroft. Huet stops Kaberle. Saks scores on his usual forehand-deke move. Sundin rips one past Huet. 1-1. Sheldon Souray of all people shoots for Montreal. Fakes the slapshot, forehand deke, et le but! 2-1 Habs. Kyle Wellwood comes in, this is it, shoots, it gets past Cristobal. Ding! Crossbar! Habs win!

Awesome game. Me and my buddies went crazy and we were with a Leafs fan so of course we rubbed it in. Leaving the Bell was ridiculous. Go Habs Go everywhere, Ole Ole's like there was no tomorrow. And tons of Leaf fans to taunt.

My favorite game.

i don't remember exactly when it was but i know it was the first habs vs. bruins game in boston a couple years ago and they were scoring goals back and forth. well boston tied it in the 3rd and then with a minute left the habs went on the power play and with 1.6 seconds left Markov got the game winner and all of us habs fans went nuts and the bruins fans acted like typical bruins fans and just wanted to fight. they didn't even bother finishing the game. it was great.

February 2006 VS Penguins. Overtime, Crosby has the puck with only one hand at his stick. Plekanec steels the puck and skate towards Penguins goal with Souray to the right. Plekanec passes Souray who scores on a onetimer.

That was a sweet victory for me. My grilfriends brother is a huge penguins fan. We attended a game in Pittsburgh the year before and Penguins won vs Montreal in shootouts. Crosby scored the last penalty against Theo and I never heard the end of it so it was nice to get some revenge. Especially with the fact that Crosby screwed up.

Sorry to be offtopic but we attended the Pittsburgh vs Ottawa games here in Stockholm last weekend. And my girlfrien started to miss Montreal so much that she said: Lets go back next year :-) ! We love Montreal so I hope to see more great games at the Bell center next year.

November 24, 2006. Habs in Buffalo for a Friday night game - night after American Thanksgiving - big party night in the States. My father had not been to a game in almost 20 years so I scored tickets to this game as a surprise to him. He was a little uncertain if he should wear his colors, but was thrilled to see the rink about 40% Habs faithful. I was sporting the Souray colors proudly.

Pretty tight game all night. Koivu scores midway through the third to tie the game and it heads into overtime. Huet makes some crazy saves in O/T and it's the typical up and down the ice action you get in an O/T period these days. With the clock winding down in O/T and everybody getting ready for a shootout, Kovy breaks across the blue line and my father and I are both screaming for him to get off one last shot. Instead, he spots Souray and makes a nifty little drop pass back to the point where Souray fires a laser past Miller. We look at the scoreboard and there's 0:01 left on the clock.

The Habs fans went ballistic and the Buffalo faithful quietly emptied out of the HSBC hanging their heads all the way. GO HABS GO and OLE! OLE! OLE! OLE! was all you heard in the hallways and outside the rink. My Dad was smiling from ear to ear. He was like a five year old on Christamas Eve. We had been to many games together back in the days, but had never seen a win in person (The Habs were 0-12 with us in the building prior to this game). That made this one all that much more special.

GAME 1 VS. PHILLY LAST YEAR!! 3-2 HABS in OT!!!!

After a flight from St. John's and 20-hr train ride from Hali, me and 2 buddies arrived in MTL for Games 1-2 of the Eastern Conference Semi-Final. The city was electric, and we gathered with thousands of fans at the FanJam before game 1 outside the Bell Centre. We walked throught the turnstiles and got our white rally towels, and found our seats, which were on the goal line where the habs shot in the 1st and 3rd period. The game started slow, and we were down 2-0 quickly. But the momemtum began to change, and we slowly got back into the game. Chants of Biiiiiiii-ron, Biiiiiiii-ron and Ole, Ole Ole Ole! shook the Bell Centre! Alex got us on the board in the second, with a mid-air volley that was reviewed for what seemed to be an eternity. Chants of GOAL! GOAL! GOAL! accompanied by everyone pointing to centre ice with the goal-sign continued until finally, the goal was allowed and the building erupted! Shortly after, Andrei Kostitsyn was awarded a penalty shot and made a great deke, but Biron made an unbelievable save. Our nerves wore thin as time in the third period ticked away, but with 30 seconds left, we got a face-off in the philly zone, with Carey out of the net. Carter broke his stick on the draw, and Saku won it cleanly back to Alex, who ripped one over Biron's shoulder top-corner! The Bell Centre was absolutely MAD! Easily the single greatest moment of my life to this point! The game went to OT, and Kostopolous had it won before the ice was even dry. Leaving the game and afterwards walking back to the hotel, the atmosphere was INSANE, everyone singing and waving flags, and car horns beeping away. We of course went on to lose game 2, but Game 1 was amazing, and we'll never forget it, that's for sure!! :D

TO YOU FROM FAILING HANDS WE THROW THE TORCH, BE YOURS TO HOLD IT HIGH. GO HABS GO!!

I've only been to one game and it was two years ago in Toronto during the Habs' huge slump after christmas. It was a terrible game as they lost 4-1(or 5-1?) and I had to drink a lot of the overpriced ACC beer just to get through the game.

The Come back

My first game at the bell centre. My fiance and I flewup to Montreal and had ickets for the next 3 home games. We were up in the nose bleed section :) when it was 5-0 Rangers i thought " I want to see them get at least one". When they scored the first goal I was happy, "at least they weren't shut out" then it was 5-2.I never even considered the habs would come back :) when it was 5-3 everyone was cheering and screaming but the rangers fans whom there seemed to be a large group of about 20 or rangers fans just to my left. They were still boing right up until the 4th goal. When the habs got that quick 4th goal i thought for surei was going to go deaf. Everyone was on their feet and you could feel the building shaking. the Rangers fans were all sitting down with their head in their hands :P

When Kovalev scored on the PP everyone was standing, young and old right up until the end of the 3rd. When it went to the shootout i remember saying to a few people around me

"Koivu will be on the shooters and heis going to do that little fake of his,mark my words" When he scored I was smiling from ear to ear :D When Jagr went in for his shot i know most of the building was holding it's breath. As soon as he missed you could ehar a *sigh*followed by this wall of screaming!.

To this day I sometimes haveto re watch those highlights just to remindmyselfthat "yes that really did happen"

I have only been to two games so it is pretty easy for me. 2 years ago i went to my first ever game. It was the game against Colorado when Theodore made his return. Montreal fell down 3-0 in the first period only to roar back to an 8-5 win. I can still remember in the third period Rivet stepped out of the penalty box a koivu hit him with a long pass and sent him on a breakaway. All 21273 stood and watched as Rivet went down the ice and gave the habs there first lead of the night. It was a classic.

This one was not the best one ever but it was in preseason 1975-1976 season against the broad street bullies. Philly had won the past two cups. Game featured a couple of bench clearing brawls that Philly got the worst one especially Schultz - As I said not the best ever but certainly the most memorable.

I saw quite a few in Edmonton in the late 80's they were always a treat as well. Gretz @ co There were times in that building at that time the vocal habs faxs would easily drown out the Oiler fans - even with that team.

game 6 vs. boston when we came back from a 3-1 deficit in the series.

Won that game, won the series....ahh, it was too good!

I've been to a lot of habs games, that one kicked butt!

That was my first Habs game, it was incredible :D. If I remember correctly, that was the game where Theo made that insane stick save, I think he also won the Hart and the Vezina that year.

Archived