The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Habs Interested In Gaborik?

pagos86

According to Marty York of Metro News, the Minnesota Wild have reached an "impasse" in contract negotiations with forward Marian Gaborik, and are entertaining offers for the Slovakian star. The Vancouver Canucks, Ottawa Senators, Toronto Maple Leafs, Montreal Canadiens, Pittsburgh Penguins, New York Rangers and Los Angeles Kings are reportedly interested. Brochu's take: Gaborik won't be traded yet, and only if the Wild are out of the running for the playoffs by trade deadline day. Source

http://brochuishockey.blogspot.com/2008/10...oct-9-2008.html

Umm, he signed up to make one post and was on the forum for less than 5 minutes and he included absolutely nothing personal or opinionated in his post. He just wants people to visit the link, which is why I didn't bother to do so and won't bother discussing in this thread. We are already talking about it in the GM thread for anyone interested. This is probably an Ekhlund type blogger who just wants attention. :P

Gaborik is fairly stifled in Minnesota's defensive system. I doubt he wants to stay even if they do offer him enough.

I believe it is bit of a misnomer that Minny has stifled his production, and that we play an offensive, run and gun type of game.

Alot of Gaborik's numbers are a direct result of Minny's system, and he will have to pay attention to the defensive end of the game playing for Carbo as well. I will grant that there is a bit more freedom on the forwards in our system, but there don't think he will not be held accountable for the fine details of the game.

It is all about transition and counter attack. And Gaborik would look wonderful when our D looks to fly the zone.

I would not be surprised if Bob was interested in Gaborik, he should be.

Does that mean anything will get done....my guess is not.

I'm sure there's some interest from Bob, I'm not sure exactly how much.

If at the deadline there was a reasonable deal to be made, of course he'd be great to have. But as I've mentioned in the "If I Were GM" thread, I don't believe we should keep him here next season (unless he can be signed for less than I think he'll get offered), so I wouldn't give up too much to get him.

I also guess nothing will get done. My guess is he finishes the season in Minnesota (I think they'll make the playoffs), and who knows for next season.

206 PTS (110 goals, 96 assists) in 190 games and a cummulitive +35 (17 last season) is quite impressive and does not look like he has a hard time playing in a system similar to the Habs IMO. He would be a perfect fit as far as I'm concerned... what it would take to get him and how much he would want are legitimate questions of concern however.

Still definitely worth the look even if it does not solve the problem at center.

206 PTS (110 goals, 96 assists) in 190 games and a cummulitive +35 (17 last season) is quite impressive and does not look like he has a hard time playing in a system similar to the Habs IMO. He would be a perfect fit as far as I'm concerned... what it would take to get him and how much he would want are legitimate questions of concern however.

Still definitely worth the look even if it does not solve the problem at center.

What problem at center? The addition of Lang gives us some of the best depth at center in the league.

Umm, he signed up to make one post and was on the forum for less than 5 minutes and he included absolutely nothing personal or opinionated in his post. He just wants people to visit the link, which is why I didn't bother to do so and won't bother discussing in this thread. We are already talking about it in the GM thread for anyone interested. This is probably an Ekhlund type blogger who just wants attention. :P

No I did not. I've been browsing for a while. Besides, the source is Marty York of Metro News, a widely read paper. Brochu is just the pointer.

No I did not. I've been browsing for a while. Besides, the source is Marty York of Metro News, a widely read paper. Brochu is just the pointer.

My apologies then. I hope you can understand my point of view.

I'll edit my original post so it leaves your corrected response.

I simply expected someone with a genuine interest in partaking in the community to be a little more personal than a quoted article and a link. I'll hold my tongue in the future, lesson learned.

Welcome to the forum!

P.S. I'm apparently unable to edit my original post. If a moderator notices and wishes to remove it for me, it would be appreciated. If not, I hope people read far enough in to notice your response.

I would totally let Kovalev walk if it meant signing Gaborik to a multi-year extension in the neighborhood of $8 million. The dude is an exceptional talent, and he's only just entering his prime. He also played in 77 games last season, showing the doubters that he does have the stamina and conditioning to play for an entire year. :D

Montreal has a lot of depth. Maybe it is time that BG trade some of this depth to get a top elite forward.

Gaborik salary cap hit is $6.33 million. Montreal has $1.8 to $2.7 million free cap space based on 23 man roster. $6.33 - $1.8=$4.53 million. I used the higher cap number as teams need free cap space for short term injury callups.

Gaborik is a winger. Don't trade a center to get a winger, IMHO.

How would BG clear enough cap space ($4.53 million) to land Gaborik at the start of this season?

BG would need to dump Dandenault and his $1.725 million salary. First priority. This free up cap space and roster spot. Well actually allows Chips to remain in Montreal when Bouillon is no longer injuried to maintain 23 man roster.

Top prospects like Patches, Weber, and Valentenko would be paid around $850k so the cost of the replacement player from Hamilton is very important to understanding the cap space after a trade occurs.

Trading Koivu (center) would make Montreal weaker at the center position (face-offs, PK, and PP) plus Montreal would lose it's captain / leader.

Trading Kovalev (winger) or Tanguay (winger) would be necessary to clear room on the top two lines for Gaborik and to clear salary cap space.

To Wild: Kovalev ($4.5) or Tanguay ($5.25) million

To Wild: Latendresse ($850k)

To Wild: Subban or Fischer

To Wild: O'Byrne ($942k) or Gorges ($1.1)

To Wild: 1st round pick 2010

To Habs: Gaborik ($6.3)

Montreal would get one of the fastest players in the NHL, lots of scoring talent, potential 50 goal scorer. UFA at the end of the season.

Montreal would give up its best forward from last season (Kovalev) and break up the #1 line from last season. Risky but then Kovalev is UFA end of the season, not getting younger, and trade value is higher because of the good season. Latendresse is a big strong power forward and is RFA so there is minimal risk of losing Latendresse to another team. Subban or Fischer (former 1st round) have the potential to be very good and they are still not signed to a pro contract so there is no cap hit for the Wild. O'Byrne or Gorges are both good young roster D that take care of the defensive zone. I doubt that Tanguay would agree to the trade and I doubt that the Wild would want Tanguay versus Kovalev. Unless the Wild want to sign the younger Tanguay long term based on knowing his game from the many games against the Flames and Avs.

Montreal would trade away top line winger, 3rd line winger, 4th best D, prospect and 1st round pick. Replacing Kovalev would be Gaborik, replacing Latendresse would be Patches (same salary), replacing Gorges would be Weber (saving $250k). The Wild would essentially get four prospects as Latendresse, Gorges, Subban, and 1st round pick could all become a lot better over the next few seasons and even if they don't improve a lot the two young roster players would be good players.

Projected lines after the trade:

Gaborik - Pleks - A.Kostitsyn (I believe A.Kostitsyn is natural right winger)

Tanguay - Koivu - Higgins

Patches - Lang - S.Kostitsyn

Lapierre - Chips - Laraque

Markov - Komi

Hammer - Weber

Bouillon - O'Byrne

spares: Brisebois, Kostopolous, Begin

I don't get the idea of sending Higgins to get Gaborik. This is not enough salary cap going to the Wild and if it takes Higgins and Kovalev then Montreal is weaker on the top two lines for this season. The Habs appear to have a real shot at the Cup this season so why make the team weaker by trading away two top 6 forwards for one top six forward. It would be too risky to assume that Latendresse or Patches or S.Kostitsyn could contribute as much OVERALL as Higgins this season.

Worry about re-signing Gaborik after the playoffs.

To trade for Gaborik the Habs would have to part with the following players.

Chris Higgins - the 2-way forward the Wild would love to have (they just lost Rolston)

Ryan McDonagh - talented blueliner who needs 2 or 3 more years but likely will be a top-2 d-man and is from Minnesota

Max Pacioretty - power forward in the making who might be ready to start for some teams right now

Plus maybe a throw-in like D'Agostini or Stewart and of course 1 or 2 top draft picks.

Kovalev has a NTC that says he can't be sent to the Western Conference I believe. I doubt he'd wave to go to Minnesota.

And,trading kovalev for Gaborik is a "sickening to my stomach" thought !Not because I don't think Gabs is good enough,but because it just seems nasty to cut Kovy out of an opportunity to continue his dream of a cup with his favourite team,the Habs.Not to mention,it probably reduces the Habs chances of getting it done this year :unsure:

To trade for Gaborik the Habs would have to part with the following players.

Chris Higgins - the 2-way forward the Wild would love to have (they just lost Rolston)

Ryan McDonagh - talented blueliner who needs 2 or 3 more years but likely will be a top-2 d-man and is from Minnesota

Max Pacioretty - power forward in the making who might be ready to start for some teams right now

Plus maybe a throw-in like D'Agostini or Stewart and of course 1 or 2 top draft picks.

Not enough cap space changing places to afford the Gaborik salary. It would have to be Kovalev, Koivu, or Tanguay going to the Wild to make the deal happen within the cap. All three players have NTC. Koivu would make the least logic for Montreal as there is very little depth at center and Koivu is the captain. It might be the easiest to get the NTC waived so Saku can play hockey with his brother but the trade would hurt Montreal at center.

I guess that Markov or Hammer could be traded but this would be a huge mistake IMHO. They have big salaries but the loss would be HUGE. Not offset by Gaborik, IMO.

I like the talent that Kovalev has. I like how Kovalev plays in the playoffs. I like how Kovalev worked great with the young european forwards last season. But Kovalev would be the most likely player involved in the trade if it was to occur.

At the trade deadline things could be a lot different as the salary impact is far less to get Gaborik. Within the first 20 games of the season salary cap is HUGE issue.

Montreal has a lot of depth. Maybe it is time that BG trade some of this depth to get a top elite forward.

Gaborik salary cap hit is $6.33 million. Montreal has $1.8 to $2.7 million free cap space based on 23 man roster. $6.33 - $1.8=$4.53 million. I used the higher cap number as teams need free cap space for short term injury callups.

Gaborik is a winger. Don't trade a center to get a winger, IMHO.

How would BG clear enough cap space ($4.53 million) to land Gaborik at the start of this season?

BG would need to dump Dandenault and his $1.725 million salary. First priority. This free up cap space and roster spot. Well actually allows Chips to remain in Montreal when Bouillon is no longer injuried to maintain 23 man roster.

Top prospects like Patches, Weber, and Valentenko would be paid around $850k so the cost of the replacement player from Hamilton is very important to understanding the cap space after a trade occurs.

Trading Koivu (center) would make Montreal weaker at the center position (face-offs, PK, and PP) plus Montreal would lose it's captain / leader.

Trading Kovalev (winger) or Tanguay (winger) would be necessary to clear room on the top two lines for Gaborik and to clear salary cap space.

To Wild: Kovalev ($4.5) or Tanguay ($5.25) million

To Wild: Latendresse ($850k)

To Wild: Subban or Fischer

To Wild: O'Byrne ($942k) or Gorges ($1.1)

To Wild: 1st round pick 2010

To Habs: Gaborik ($6.3)

Montreal would get one of the fastest players in the NHL, lots of scoring talent, potential 50 goal scorer. UFA at the end of the season.

Montreal would give up its best forward from last season (Kovalev) and break up the #1 line from last season. Risky but then Kovalev is UFA end of the season, not getting younger, and trade value is higher because of the good season. Latendresse is a big strong power forward and is RFA so there is minimal risk of losing Latendresse to another team. Subban or Fischer (former 1st round) have the potential to be very good and they are still not signed to a pro contract so there is no cap hit for the Wild. O'Byrne or Gorges are both good young roster D that take care of the defensive zone. I doubt that Tanguay would agree to the trade and I doubt that the Wild would want Tanguay versus Kovalev. Unless the Wild want to sign the younger Tanguay long term based on knowing his game from the many games against the Flames and Avs.

Montreal would trade away top line winger, 3rd line winger, 4th best D, prospect and 1st round pick. Replacing Kovalev would be Gaborik, replacing Latendresse would be Patches (same salary), replacing Gorges would be Weber (saving $250k). The Wild would essentially get four prospects as Latendresse, Gorges, Subban, and 1st round pick could all become a lot better over the next few seasons and even if they don't improve a lot the two young roster players would be good players.

Projected lines after the trade:

Gaborik - Pleks - A.Kostitsyn (I believe A.Kostitsyn is natural right winger)

Tanguay - Koivu - Higgins

Patches - Lang - S.Kostitsyn

Lapierre - Chips - Laraque

Markov - Komi

Hammer - Weber

Bouillon - O'Byrne

spares: Brisebois, Kostopolous, Begin

I don't get the idea of sending Higgins to get Gaborik. This is not enough salary cap going to the Wild and if it takes Higgins and Kovalev then Montreal is weaker on the top two lines for this season. The Habs appear to have a real shot at the Cup this season so why make the team weaker by trading away two top 6 forwards for one top six forward. It would be too risky to assume that Latendresse or Patches or S.Kostitsyn could contribute as much OVERALL as Higgins this season.

Worry about re-signing Gaborik after the playoffs.

Why would we give up that much to get someone who may not even re-sign w/ us? Crazy talk all over the place in here :blink: . Just nutty, outrageous and spinach eating Popeye mentality ;) . You all been drinking? Poppin' Tylenol like its going out of style :mellow: ? Got to be a reason your all this foolish. Just not comprehending. Crazy I tells ya, CRAZY! :P

I completely agree, wait until free agents are fair game and go after him then.

I can't conceive of a trade for Gaborik that would be good for the habs.

The bar is set by the Marian Hossa trade, where the Penguins relinquished a first round draft choice, an elite prospect, and 2 good but not great forwards.

The analogy might be Christopher Higgins, Guillaume Latendresse, Ryan McDonough and a 1st rounder... for a rental player who might not fit into the system and chemistry.

No thank you.

As for the free agent season, Marian Hossa was offered 12 years, $100 million by the Boston Bruins; Mats Sundin was offered 2 years 20 million. Gaborik will go for at least $8 million, and quite frankly I don't think that's worth it.

I would totally let Kovalev walk if it meant signing Gaborik to a multi-year extension in the neighborhood of $8 million. The dude is an exceptional talent, and he's only just entering his prime. He also played in 77 games last season, showing the doubters that he does have the stamina and conditioning to play for an entire year. :D

Let Kovalev go? :blink:

I wouldn't. If all goes well, he'll be one of those Shanahan-type players who provides veteran leadership and game-breaking ability to complement our emerging core of forwards. I'd be much more inclined to let someone like Tanguay go as Gaborik is younger, faster, and a better scorer.

Da_Champion, there is no way Gainey pays that kind of price for Gaborik. Pittsburgh set that absurd bar themselves, but I have to believe that this is the year GMs finally realize that mortgaging your future at the trade deadline guarantees you nothing except long-term damage to your franchise. Remember, we had a deal for Hossa tentatively worked out with Atlanta until Shero and his idiot crew came in and grossly overpaid for Hossa. And what did it get Pittsburgh? Nothing.

I have faith that Gainey will only acquire Gaborik if it doesn't cost the moon.

Not enough cap space changing places to afford the Gaborik salary. It would have to be Kovalev, Koivu, or Tanguay going to the Wild to make the deal happen within the cap. All three players have NTC. Koivu would make the least logic for Montreal as there is very little depth at center and Koivu is the captain. It might be the easiest to get the NTC waived so Saku can play hockey with his brother but the trade would hurt Montreal at center.

I guess that Markov or Hammer could be traded but this would be a huge mistake IMHO. They have big salaries but the loss would be HUGE. Not offset by Gaborik, IMO.

I like the talent that Kovalev has. I like how Kovalev plays in the playoffs. I like how Kovalev worked great with the young european forwards last season. But Kovalev would be the most likely player involved in the trade if it was to occur.

At the trade deadline things could be a lot different as the salary impact is far less to get Gaborik. Within the first 20 games of the season salary cap is HUGE issue.

I know that we couldn't afford Gaborik without trading away one of the players you mentioned. But I highly doubt Minnesota would be interessted in one of them. If they trade away Gaborik it won't be for a player who is older than Gaborik and also becomes an UFA after this season. They'll be looking for some future key players. That's why I mentioned the players in my proposal as the most attractive players for the Wild.

Let Kovalev go? :blink:

I wouldn't. If all goes well, he'll be one of those Shanahan-type players who provides veteran leadership and game-breaking ability to complement our emerging core of forwards. I'd be much more inclined to let someone like Tanguay go as Gaborik is younger, faster, and a better scorer.

I think you're underestimating what our players will make next season. It will be a challenge (although I'm sure doable) just to keep Higgins, Plekanek, Koivu, Kovalev, and Komisarek. I'm already prepared to let Lang and Tanguay walk if we can get the rest of them. Getting Gaborik will likely mean we let at least one of Koivu, Kovalev, or Komisarek go (in addition to Lang or Tanguay).

I guess we'll see what happens, and it really depends on the season they have. If Kovalev can have another PPG season, he'll be coming off two great seasons and could get Sundin type offers (of course Sundin has been more consistent throughout his career, but if a player is coming off 2 great

seasons, GMs are likely to forget about what he did before that. I guess we'll see, but I'm not sure that keeping the three K's and getting Gaborik is realistic, regardless of what Tanguay does.

Da_Champion, there is no way Gainey pays that kind of price for Gaborik. Pittsburgh set that absurd bar themselves, but I have to believe that this is the year GMs finally realize that mortgaging your future at the trade deadline guarantees you nothing except long-term damage to your franchise. Remember, we had a deal for Hossa tentatively worked out with Atlanta until Shero and his idiot crew came in and grossly overpaid for Hossa. And what did it get Pittsburgh? Nothing.

I think the issue here is people are somewhat overstating what Pittsburgh gave. Esposito is still thought of as a top prospect because of a few years ago, but as I metnioned before, him and Mcdonagh are not equal value. Even Pacioretty, who was similar value when drafted (slightly less) has probably overtaken him by now. Esposito has tons of skill, but I don't believe scouts consider him a top prospect. He was taken in the bottom half of the first round and I think his stock has slipped since then.

Christensen and Armstrong are both decent players, but neither has gotten close to 50 points and I don't see how Higgins is comparable to either.

Now if we were to offer a deal equivalent to Pittsburgh's deal, I'd say it would probably be:

- first round pick

- Chris Higgins

- Danny Kristo or PK Subban

I'd say that's about it: a first round pick, Higgins (who I say is equal to Christensen + Armstrong), and a pretty high prospect (our last 2 second rounders)

As for whether GMs learned anything, I doubt it. The Islanders pulled off the horrible Smyth trade the year before, and it didn't dissuade Pittsburgh. And it could be argued the Hossa trade was a success on some level. It's reasonable to assume that they would have made it to the finals without him, but it's also possible they wouldn't have, and remember something: playoffs = free money for owners. Getting Hossa was a bad hockey decision, but it may have been the correct business one.

I think you're underestimating what our players will make next season. It will be a challenge (although I'm sure doable) just to keep Higgins, Plekanek, Koivu, Kovalev, and Komisarek. I'm already prepared to let Lang and Tanguay walk if we can get the rest of them. Getting Gaborik will likely mean we let at least one of Koivu, Kovalev, or Komisarek go (in addition to Lang or Tanguay).

Higgins is fairly disposable IMO. As for the rest, yes, it'll be a challenge, but we'll also have a ton of useless contracts off the books (Bouillon, Dandenault, Begin) as well as Lang likely not coming back. Tanguay is jettisoned as soon as Gaborik signs long term if I have my way. I'm not saying I have all the answers here, because contract negotiations are tricky to predict -- especially right now when the current season, which usually provides leverage for one side or another, has barely begun. I'm just saying that if we have an opportunity to acquire a talent like Gaborik for a reasonable price, I would do it and worry about the contracts later.

I think the issue here is people are somewhat overstating what Pittsburgh gave. Esposito is still thought of as a top prospect because of a few years ago, but as I metnioned before, him and Mcdonagh are not equal value. Even Pacioretty, who was similar value when drafted (slightly less) has probably overtaken him by now. Esposito has tons of skill, but I don't believe scouts consider him a top prospect. He was taken in the bottom half of the first round and I think his stock has slipped since then.

Christensen and Armstrong are both decent players, but neither has gotten close to 50 points and I don't see how Higgins is comparable to either.

Now if we were to offer a deal equivalent to Pittsburgh's deal, I'd say it would probably be:

- first round pick

- Chris Higgins

- Danny Kristo or PK Subban

I'd say that's about it: a first round pick, Higgins (who I say is equal to Christensen + Armstrong), and a pretty high prospect (our last 2 second rounders)

Don't let the current deflation of the assets Pittsburgh gave up fool you. It was still too much to pay on paper, and regardless of the net worth of the traded assets, it gave the Penguins nothing because they didn't win the Cup and Hossa didn't re-sign with them. I understand that a Cup final is great, but you don't spend like that at the trade deadline just to show your face in the Cup final. Now, they have depleted their prospect stock with nothing to show for it, and no longer have the security blanket of elite no. 1 picks in the pipeline, because they're too good a team to finish last or near the bottom. That Hossa deal is going to affect them negatively for years to come, because they have not even come close to proving they can build a legitimate contender without the benefit of falling *****-backwards into players like Crosby and Malkin, which any idiot can build around.

As for whether GMs learned anything, I doubt it. The Islanders pulled off the horrible Smyth trade the year before, and it didn't dissuade Pittsburgh.

That's probably correct. I'm shocked year after year at how stupid and reckless GMs are at the trade deadline. If they could exercise some self-control and common sense, the market wouldn't be what it is.

Archived