The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

How Leaniant Are New York City Clubs/lounges?

lecavalierrocks

Hey guys, I'll be going to NYC December 5th-7th for a girls shopping weekend. I'll be the only "underaged" girl in the group. (I'm 20, in a group of 23, 28 and 30) I know the other girls are gonna want to go Clubbing, how are my chances of getting into thoses Clubs? I dont necesserly mean I want to drink, is Entry permitted? I dont want to offend any New Yorkers or americans on this board by attempting something "illegal" in their Country (which Ive done on another board [insult/offend New Yorkers]) it's really not my goal, I just dont want to be left out of all the fun!

Cheers :)

I don't get this topic. You say you're not planning to do anything illegal (and it is against the board rules to suggest any), so what sort of answer are you looking for? If the club is 21+, it's 21+.

I just would like to know if Entry to the club is still permitted even if your under 21.

I would say just try to find a club that's 18+ if you all really want to go out. I'm sure there's plenty of those.

to be honest, Im sure there's plenty more to do in NYC then just go to clubs or lounges, but my friends really want to go... an I dont want to be by myself.

I just would like to know if Entry to the club is still permitted even if your under 21.

Depends on the club. I know there are clubs that are not 21+ but I don't know if they serve alcohol. When I lived in the States, most places were strictly 21+ later at night if they served alcohol. I think the issue is that most clubs that serve alcohol don't want to be responsible for checking ID inside everytime somebody tries to order a drink (plus make sure people don't buy drinks for their underage friends). : it's a lot easier to have one bouncer check ID on the way in.

to be honest, Im sure there's plenty more to do in NYC then just go to clubs or lounges, but my friends really want to go... an I dont want to be by myself.

Assuming that they want alcohol, you're probably out of luck (at least legally).

Depends on the club. I know there are clubs that are not 21+ but I don't know if they serve alcohol. When I lived in the States, most places were strictly 21+ later at night if they served alcohol. I think the issue is that most clubs that serve alcohol don't want to be responsible for checking ID inside everytime somebody tries to order a drink (plus make sure people don't buy drinks for their underage friends). : it's a lot easier to have one bouncer check ID on the way in.

Assuming that they want alcohol, you're probably out of luck (at least legally).

Thanks for your advice, and yes, althought I know that there are Clubs 18+ (which Im assuming only cater to thoses 18-21) I'm 98% positive my 30 year old friend wouldnt want to go there... (If you guys are wondering, we're all work-related friends, that's why there is such a huge age gap) and I can see how they dont always want to check ID, but Ive heard of Clubs elsewhere, that give u somekind of a Bracelet, to let bartenders know not to serve u. but whatever :)

and yes, I assume that they want Alcohol aswell, I'll just go back two months later when I turn 21 lolll :P

• 2 weeks later...

The city is really huge if you want to go to a restaurant/bar like the Espn or planet hollywood and just hang out at the bar order soda I don't think anybody will bother you. If you want to go to a bar like Coyoteugly or any bars around 6th avenue there is a bouncer at the doors where ever you go. So if you try to go down to bleeker street where the bottom line is and some other clubs are expect to be asked for Id. Im 42 years old when I go to coyote ugly in the village they ask me for Id.

To the O.P.,

Quick replies to your questions.

1. NYC door policies are strict. You will be denied entry at all 21+ clubs, bars, and lounges unless you show a valid form of ID indicating you are 21, there are doormen everywhere, so dont expect to walk in without having you ID checked. You will not be allowed in, even if you say you wont drink. The exceptions are endless to this rule. This is a big city and people look the other way for various reasons (cute girls, slip a door man cash, or you know someone at the door).....with that said, if you are an out of towner with no connections, I'd just as well avoid these places. Try to shmooze with a door guy and see what happens, but dont expect much. Also do not pick the #1 club nights or hot spots, they are bound to be harder to get into, you should just try to find a cool place that is nt outrageously popular, as your chances of getting in will be lower.

2. There are 18+ clubs. Probably your best bet. I know Webster Hall is 18+ on most weekends. Just google it and check the night you are in town you can get a good club experience there. Decent rooms of hip hop electronica, techno.....clientale is a bit below my age so I havent been in years.

3. Research before you come.....walking around aimlessly on a Friday or Saturday in any big city is not for the faint of heart. Google Timeout NYC for the listings of whats happening hear the week before you come. If you are into rock clubs, hipsterish type stuff, jazz, you will be able to find tons of non-age restricted shows. If you want hip hop and grindy type dance floors, you will have to search a bit harder.

4. Get excited, although I actually love going out in Montreal (when I visit), NYC's nightlife is arguably the best on the continent....arguably.

To the O.P.,

Quick replies to your questions.

1. NYC door policies are strict. You will be denied entry at all 21+ clubs, bars, and lounges unless you show a valid form of ID indicating you are 21, there are doormen everywhere, so dont expect to walk in without having you ID checked. You will not be allowed in, even if you say you wont drink. The exceptions are endless to this rule. This is a big city and people look the other way for various reasons (cute girls, slip a door man cash, or you know someone at the door).....with that said, if you are an out of towner with no connections, I'd just as well avoid these places. Try to shmooze with a door guy and see what happens, but dont expect much. Also do not pick the #1 club nights or hot spots, they are bound to be harder to get into, you should just try to find a cool place that is nt outrageously popular, as your chances of getting in will be lower.

2. There are 18+ clubs. Probably your best bet. I know Webster Hall is 18+ on most weekends. Just google it and check the night you are in town you can get a good club experience there. Decent rooms of hip hop electronica, techno.....clientale is a bit below my age so I havent been in years.

3. Research before you come.....walking around aimlessly on a Friday or Saturday in any big city is not for the faint of heart. Google Timeout NYC for the listings of whats happening hear the week before you come. If you are into rock clubs, hipsterish type stuff, jazz, you will be able to find tons of non-age restricted shows. If you want hip hop and grindy type dance floors, you will have to search a bit harder.

4. Get excited, although I actually love going out in Montreal (when I visit), NYC's nightlife is arguably the best on the continent....arguably.

Thanks a lot :) We Actually decided that we will Spend the Friday Evening dinning at Buddakan and having drinks there... (Ice Tea for me ;)) lolll maybe I can get away with ordering a cocktail.. we shall see. but if not, whatever, no big loss. I have heard of Webster Hall, but I dont think my friends would enjoy it much. We thought about TRYING Marquee but I heard that even if you are 21+, unless your on GuestList, u cannot get it. But, I do Have a couple of Connections... maybe I could try to put them to use!

So Friday night is basically full.

As for Saturday, I'm sure we could find enless things to do. so I'm not really worried.

But Thanks to Both you and LafleurFan :) <3

Thanks a lot :) We Actually decided that we will Spend the Friday Evening dinning at Buddakan and having drinks there... (Ice Tea for me ;)) lolll maybe I can get away with ordering a cocktail.. we shall see. but if not, whatever, no big loss. I have heard of Webster Hall, but I dont think my friends would enjoy it much. We thought about TRYING Marquee but I heard that even if you are 21+, unless your on GuestList, u cannot get it. But, I do Have a couple of Connections... maybe I could try to put them to use!

So Friday night is basically full.

As for Saturday, I'm sure we could find enless things to do. so I'm not really worried.

But Thanks to Both you and LafleurFan :) <3

Nice, well Buddakan is a great choice, I dated a waitress there for awhile and I'll tell you the food is great, ambience is great, and you could probably swing a few drinks there. Marquee is tough, I live right down the street and their is usually a line. I dont bother with it, but apparently its pretty cool on Fridays. Good luck and here's hoping you have a great time. I agree that Webster is probably not a great scene for your fellow older travelers, its a bit of young scene.

Nice, well Buddakan is a great choice, I dated a waitress there for awhile and I'll tell you the food is great, ambience is great, and you could probably swing a few drinks there. Marquee is tough, I live right down the street and their is usually a line. I dont bother with it, but apparently its pretty cool on Fridays. Good luck and here's hoping you have a great time. I agree that Webster is probably not a great scene for your fellow older travelers, its a bit of young scene.

I just made the reservations for Buddakan :) I'm so happy. I hope they will seat us in the main dinning room like I requested. I heard food was good, but u could find better elsewhere, but nothing compares to the scene. Apparently Ambience is amazing. :) and thanks for letting me know about the drinks :P

Thanks for all your advice and maybe we'll pass right next to u when we'll be in the City! Lol

Archived