The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Blue Jackets' Peca Suspended Indefinitely

Scott92

Blue Jackets' Peca suspended indefinitely

854.jpg

NEW YORK – Columbus Blue Jackets forward Michael Peca has been automatically suspended per Rule 41, Physical Abuse of Officials, Category 2.

Peca was assesed a game misconduct penalty at 5:21 of the second period of NHL Game #15 Friday night at Dallas.

Peca has appealed the suspension but will remain suspended pending a hearing to be scheduled next week.

Click link to view article.

I still have yet to see the incident, but it must have been a big deal to create this much of a buzz around the league.

On the CBC they said he grabbed the refs arm to debate a non call on a slew foot.

They feel the refs overstated the event a bit and the manditory 10 game suspension for a level 2 abuse of a ref will be reduced.

They however had no video of it so I cannot comment on the event itself.

On the CBC they said he grabbed the refs arm to debate a non call on a slew foot.

They feel the refs overstated the event a bit and the manditory 10 game suspension for a level 2 abuse of a ref will be reduced.

They however had no video of it so I cannot comment on the event itself.

Suspension for grabbing the referee's arm? I guess they have zero tolerance for intentional physical contact with the ref. I'll wait for the video before I say something like 'too strict' bla bla bla..

Suspension for grabbing the referee's arm? I guess they have zero tolerance for intentional physical contact with the ref. I'll wait for the video before I say something like 'too strict' bla bla bla..

A couple years ago Markov got a 3-game suspension for touching the refs sweater after a game. It was after a horrible one-sided called game by the refs and Markov was trying to tell him he wasn't supposed to be biased or something and bam, suspended.

and that's how it should be. Obviously punching the ref or something is a very serious offense (I think the only NHL lifetime suspension was for punching out a ref). But even non harmful contact should not be tolerated. My guess is he'll get the 10 games.

and that's how it should be. Obviously punching the ref or something is a very serious offense (I think the only NHL lifetime suspension was for punching out a ref). But even non harmful contact should not be tolerated. My guess is he'll get the 10 games.

I guess so, you don't know what the player will do next. One second he could just be slightly touching the ref, then next it's. BAM.. ref punched in the face. :blink: (even though most players are respectful enough not to do that, there's always that one who does something bad.)

Not the greatest camera work.

At about 1:07, Peca gets slew-footed by Morrow while fighting off a 5 on 3. At about the 1:15 mark, it looks like Peca grabbed the pussified ref's arm so he could get in front of him to plead his case. That's it.

Not the greatest camera work.

At about 1:07, Peca gets slew-footed by Morrow while fighting off a 5 on 3. At about the 1:15 mark, it looks like Peca grabbed the pussified ref's arm so he could get in front of him to plead his case. That's it.

There is NO reason ever to touch a ref, NONE.

There is NO reason ever to touch a ref, NONE.

Agreed. What rule makes more sense:

- no intentional contact with ref, zero tolerance for breaking this rule

- players are allowed to make physical contact with referees as long as said contact does not cause bodily harm.

I think it makes much more sense to outlaw and come down hard on any intentional contact with referee, even if it doesn't constitute an attack, it's a slippery slope otherwise.

So Peca was defending a 5 on 3 and got slew-footed by Morrow and it wasn't called. Because of that, Dallas scored their first goal of the season and the place went absolutely nuts, as one can tell from the vid. The ref couldn't hear the other ref next to him, much less Peca trying to get his attention from behind him, so Peca grabbed his arm to get his attention.

It comes down to this:

The entire situation is ridiculous. It just epitomizes that NHL officiating is the worst in any sport, anywhere.

So Peca was defending a 5 on 3 and got slew-footed by Morrow and it wasn't called. Because of that, Dallas scored their first goal of the season and the place went absolutely nuts, as one can tell from the vid. The ref couldn't hear the other ref next to him, much less Peca trying to get his attention from behind him, so Peca grabbed his arm to get his attention.

It comes down to this:

The entire situation is ridiculous. It just epitomizes that NHL officiating is the worst in any sport, anywhere.

I don't think anyone is saying the actual action was that bad, but it's known that players often get upset with referees, who are rarely in as good shape or as protected as players, and I think not allowing any contact is a good rule. If you don't enforce a rule, it doesn't really exist - so if you want to ban contact from refs (which I do), you need to punish him for this. 10 games seems a little steep for it I'll admit, but he deserves something.

Id be very upset if it was one of our players

I'd be upset at losing the player, but I'd accept it as deserved punishment. When Markov was suspended for touching a ref, I wasn't happy that we lost Markov, but I knew it was the correct call.

I never want to see a Hab suspended, but that doesn't mean that they don't ever deserve it. Fans being upset isn't a factor here.

yeah i also agree that its a good rule to have. One it sort of sets the players and refs apart from one another on a professional level (even though i'm sure some refs and players are a little too much on friendly terms with each other), and two it keeps things from escalating.

but i mean when you're trying to get someones attention its a reflex to go out and touch or grab their arm to get their attention. i think the decision was a good one.

Archived