The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

MLB

roy_133

The Angels have more power in their line-up but will end up losing against the Red Sox in the first round.

I don't know about that, they went out and added a gamebreaker in Tex and this year they have homefield advantage instead of starting in Fenway like last year. This series is so hard to handicap, I'm not saying the Red Sox won't win, I'm just saying I don't think it's automatic or anything.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Mets will spend a lot of money this off-season. With Billy Wagner out for the year and his contract up after next season they'll most likely sign K-Rod to a huge contract. Omar loves players from Latin America and K-Rod is the best closer available. I can also see the Mets make a run for Manny Ramirez and C.C. Sabathia.

The Mets will spend a lot of money this off-season. With Billy Wagner out for the year and his contract up after next season they'll most likely sign K-Rod to a huge contract. Omar loves players from Latin America and K-Rod is the best closer available. I can also see the Mets make a run for Manny Ramirez and C.C. Sabathia.

They'll spend money for sure. KRod makes a ton of sense and I thought for sometime that he would end up a Met... I can't think of any other real big money team that needs a closer like they do, so I agree there.

Manny, is possible although I wouldn't be shocked if the Dodgers kept him around, they have a lot of money coming off the books this offseason and he's injected life there.

C.C doesn't make sense to me, they don't have unlimited funds and he'll be looking at well over 20 million a year, they just have so many holes to fill right now that I think they're better suited getting a Garland type guy.

The Manny's and the CC's would obviously be nice, but they have star players. Star power wasn't the problem I think they should get KRod, and keep working on the bullpen from there KRod isn't enough... I think getting a good corner outfielder is important, doesn't have to be a Manny but what about a guy like Ibanez? Veteran, from New York, a guy you can count on to give you 20 homers 100 RBI and be a solid citizen. He was a guy they targeted at the deadline as well.

Their staff, well Pedro needs to go and is UFA, Maine is a question mark and Perez is a UFA. I think if you resign Perez and add a good 2 guy like a Garland or a Burnett you'd have an awesome staff.

Also, I know they JUST signed Castillo to play 2nd but he's horrible, no where near the guy he was. I think a guy like Orlando Hudson, UFA, makes a TON of sense, he wouldn't be THAT expensive, he would add leadership and excitement and add a goldglover to their infield.

Well they have close to 30 million coming of their books. If they don't pick up Delgados option you can add another 16 million. The Mets will have a new stadium so they'll make more money. After failing 2 seasons in a row they are going to overspend.

To what degree will they overspend? They 30 million on the books and to go out and get Krod, CC and Manny you're talking about adding 60+ million. They'll still have a hole in middle of the rotation, they'll still need to address 2nd imo, they could stand to upgrade at catcher, I don't mind Schneider but I just fail to see him as a true everyday guy. I think adding a guy like Pudge makes some sense. They could decline Delgado's option, but they have no one to replace him and the only one better on the market is Tex and he'll be up around 20 million too, so then you're talking about signing 3-4 long term contracts all probably between 15-25 million per year, I really think if they want to get in a bidding war with the Yankees (who have a lot more then 30 mill coming off the books and are also moving to a new stadium) over the likes of Sabathia and Tex they'll wind up paying around 25 million for both. Manny may also be a guy the Yankees target with all the corner outfielders they have with expiring contracts and apparently Manny wants 4 years 20 million per year which makes no sense imo.

Manny makes some sense and I think they'll be involved but there are a lot of very good corner outfielders available with a lot less risk and a whole lot cheaper. I mentioned Ibanez but a guy like Abreu would also be very good there CC doesn't make any sense to me, I think the Yankees will pay WHATEVER it takes to get him, KRod makes sense but he'll be very expensive for a closer and he'll get a lot of years.

I think a great offseason would be,

Sign:

Ibanez,

Dempster,

KRod,

Orlando Hudson,

Farnsworth/Rhodes (bullpen depth)

Depending on if you want to resign Oliver Perez who apparently wants a lot of money, add a Burnett or Garland as well and give your staff the best starting 5 in the NL hands down.

maybe a guy like Pudge who can come catch 120 games (and you mentioned the latin thing) and Schneider can catch the rest ( i like castro too though)

You're moves are smarter for sure especially long term. But when a franchise like the Mets fails 2 years in a row they tend to panic and make some stupid moves. There's one thing I have to disagree with you. C.C. Sabathia makes a lot of sense. A rotation with 2 aces like Santana and Sabathia strikes fear to almost anyone. You're a Braves fan you should know how valuable great pitching can be. ;) I also can't see a hole in the middle if you have Beltran, Manny and Wright in your line-up.

I don't mean it doesn't make sense to have 2 aces, ofcourse getting CC would be incredible I just meant I think the price will be huge because the Yanks are even more panic prone then the Mets and have even more money and CC solves so many of their needs. I just think to win that bidding war they'd have to go above and beyond and I don't think making Sabathia the 2nd highest paid player in the world for 8 years makes a ton of sense for them right now considering they aren't in desperate need of an ace they could have a great staff with 2 good number 2 type guys.

I want KRod to go to St. Louis... their closer situation was absolutely terrible this year... They have got to upgrade their bullpen.

I want KRod to go to St. Louis... their closer situation was absolutely terrible this year... They have got to upgrade their bullpen.

There's other good closers available. Fuentes or Kerry Wood could be good options although I just can't picture Kerry going anywhere.

Lester again with a huge performance on the mound tonight. I guess the Twins regret passing on Lester, Ellsbury, Lowrie and Kalish for Santana.

They totally overplayed their hand with the Santana trade, I thought the Mets offer was the worst of the 3-4 offers I'd heard rumored, I suppose they thought if they held out it would drive the price higher just because the Sox and Yankees would want to keep him from going to the other time. There's no way the Mets should have ended up with Santana their farm system has no where near the talent of the Red Sox or Yankees.

It's still tough to argue with them, they lose Johan and Hunter, both one of the best in the world at their position, and they still finish 1 win away from the postseason.

The AL East is the best division in Baseball. It will be a great series between Tampa and Boston with Boston winning in 6 or 7 games. I know both teams still have to win 1 more game but they'll make it. The Angels can win as many games as they want in the regular season but in the post-season they won't beat the Red Sox. Their 100 wins this season was also because they play in a very weak division. In the East Tampa and Boston made the play-offs and New York and Tampa would have made the play-offs too if they played in another division.

Momentum turns so fast in a 5 game series, now the Sox go from in total control to a (IMO) must win tonight. I know they're still in the better position with 2 chances to end it here, but now that the Angels have the monkey of their back the last thing the Sox need is heading back to LA for game 5.

They got Lester on the mound in Fenway, I think they will win tonight and I'd call it pretty close to a must win.

As a long time Sox fan , as have just been kicked in the kneecaps with the news that the ALCS series against Tampa is not available on my Starchoice dish !! What the hell ? It is on TBS nationally in the States....according to Starchoice, the channel they carry now is called Peachtree ( a TBS of shoot) , a long list of various crappy shows...no playoff baseball......how the hell does this happen ?....Tin Cup ? no Red Sox in the American League Championship Series ? This is rediculous....I wonder if Bell has it !! I gotta switch........................thanks , I just needed a place to vent.