Canadiens de Montreal

If You Had To Choose....

bell75

Would you prefer to:

A. Suffer through a boring regular season, but win the Cup

or

B. Really enjoy an entertaining regular season, but not win the Cup

---

I'm not saying that you have to play boring hockey to win (I don't think that's the case at all)...I know a lot of people like to read more into the threads than is there...just A or B!

I kind of torn on this one.

I understand everyone's desire to win a cup, and believe me, I want us to win a cup as well. But I was just imagining how it would be if we were playing an exciting style of play the whole season. Our team would be the talk of every player and GM. But if we were to slow things down and play 1-2 goal games, then I don't know how intently I would be watching. Imagine a game where our players are getting hat-tricks, short-handed goals, PP goals, dancing around opponents making them look stupid. That would make for great water cooler conversation and I would get to laugh at all the Laffs fans day-in and day-out at work. If we win the cup, and doing it with the boring style of NJ, I think it would almost be blaze for me. I get excited by watching edge-of-seat-while-biting-nails type of game. I know that I would get to stick it to the Laffs fans if we won the cup as well, but that would only be over the course of the summer, whereas playing exciting hockey throughout the season would let me stick it to them all-season long.

I remember in '94 when Vancouver was on it's way to the cup finals. They were the more exciting team (mainly cause of Bure) than NYR were. I ended up becoming a fan of the Canucks after that year, as opposed to becoming a fan of the Rangers, even though I was a Messier fan as well. I just always wanted to watch the Canucks whenever they played after that year. Boy, were they something!

So, I guess for me, it's the journey, more than the destination. Although, I like the destination too. :D

I kind of torn on this one.

I understand everyone's desire to win a cup, and believe me, I want us to win a cup as well. But I was just imagining how it would be if we were playing an exciting style of play the whole season. Our team would be the talk of every player and GM. But if we were to slow things down and play 1-2 goal games, then I don't know how intently I would be watching. Imagine a game where our players are getting hat-tricks, short-handed goals, PP goals, dancing around opponents making them look stupid. That would make for great water cooler conversation and I would get to laugh at all the Laffs fans day-in and day-out at work. If we win the cup, and doing it with the boring style of NJ, I think it would almost be blaze for me. I get excited by watching edge-of-seat-while-biting-nails type of game. I know that I would get to stick it to the Laffs fans if we won the cup as well, but that would only be over the course of the summer, whereas playing exciting hockey throughout the season would let me stick it to them all-season long.

I remember in '94 when Vancouver was on it's way to the cup finals. They were the more exciting team (mainly cause of Bure) than NYR were. I ended up becoming a fan of the Canucks after that year, as opposed to becoming a fan of the Rangers, even though I was a Messier fan as well. I just always wanted to watch the Canucks whenever they played after that year. Boy, were they something!

So, I guess for me, it's the journey, more than the destination. Although, I like the destination too. :D

I completely understand your point of view. If the Habs could play 'firewagon' hockey all season long scoring all the time, I would be very excited. However, I really want the cup in Montreal. That would make laughing at the Laf fans soooo much better since they won't even make the playoffs.

Archived