The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Who Has The Lowest Member # ?

squ1g33

HabsAdmin

Just change the number at the end of the following URL to find out member numbers: http://forum.canadiens.com/index.php?showuser=1

thanks graeme, but it doesn't show anyone after #4

also you are like #14,500 and almost a full year ahead of me. so, since Habs Admin is #1 and he is only 1 month ahead of you, that is to say that 14,000 members joined in 1-2 months and then only 1000 more in 1 year??? something doesnt add up.

thanks graeme, but it doesn't show anyone after #4

also you are like #14,500 and almost a full year ahead of me. so, since Habs Admin is #1 and he is only 1 month ahead of you, that is to say that 14,000 members joined in 1-2 months and then only 1000 more in 1 year??? something doesnt add up.

My guess would be no. My best guess as to why is that the forums used to be VBulletin and then we switched to Invision Power Board but tried to keep all the data the same, including member information. I'm not entirely sure how they did this, but the two systems are completely seperate, so you are basically trying to take data from one database and squishing it into another. My guess is the numbering got screwed up at this point.

My guess would be no. My best guess as to why is that the forums used to be VBulletin and then we switched to Invision Power Board but tried to keep all the data the same, including member information. I'm not entirely sure how they did this, but the two systems are completely seperate, so you are basically trying to take data from one database and squishing it into another. My guess is the numbering got screwed up at this point.

I don't think so, I was around when that switch took place and subsequently lost about 450 posts and had a -300 post count number. Good guess though. I would venture to say that after the "original 6" members, they probably made the next member #14,000 to make it look like there were more bloggers/members to new people joining.

I hope HabdAdmin maybe can shed some light on the subject, as I am quite curious about it.

I don't think so, I was around when that switch took place and subsequently lost about 450 posts and had a -300 post count number. Good guess though.

Actually now that you mention it, this is our third forum software, it was PHPbb then VBulletin then IPB. The last switch went fairly smoothly, but the one from phpBB was a mess.

And whether or not your post count got screwed up doesn't say what happened with the member numbers, and in fact they could have been related. My guess is that the members numbers are remaining from phpBB which must have started them high, but the admins had to register new accounts on vBulletin so started at 1

I would venture to say that after the "original 6" members, they probably made the next member #14,000 to make it look like there were more bloggers/members to new people joining.

The member number is set automatically as an auto incremented database value: changing it would be a huge pain, I can say pretty safely this did not happen. I wouldn't try to make too much sense of it, as you said, somehow you ended up with a negative post count during one of the mergers: moving between 3 completely seperate database systems isn't exactly an easy task while keeping the data.

Could it be that accounts were deleted (one way or another) and that numbers of those that were were filled in? I don't know.

It could also be that, because of the forum switch, the order that the users were "transfered over" in could affect their numbers.

It shouldn't, I started a very successful poker forum on a free hosting site and they were making all the money on advertising so I decided to get my own server. I then switched the forum to my own server and everything went smoothly, no posts were lost and the member numbers were the same, and I'm talking about a big board with over 10000 members and millions of posts. Something else must have happened in order for the all the member numbers to have been changed. However, you could actually assign a number in the admin preferences from where the counter begins.

Could it be that accounts were deleted (one way or another) and that numbers of those that were were filled in? I don't know.

It could also be that, because of the forum switch, the order that the users were "transfered over" in could affect their numbers.

That's a good point, at some point they may have 'reenrolled' everyone in the new software and the old user id's just got thrown out, in which case it's tough to say what the ordering or anything was.

It shouldn't, I started a very successful poker forum on a free hosting site and they were making all the money on advertising so I decided to get my own server. I then switched the forum to my own server and everything went smoothly, no posts were lost and the member numbers were the same, and I'm talking about a big board with over 10000 members and millions of posts. Something else must have happened in order for the all the member numbers to have been changed. However, you could actually assign a number in the admin preferences from where the counter begins.

You're talking about something completely different. Switching servers is an easy task - you just copy the database. What we're talking about is switching the [/b]software[/b] while trying to maintain data, which I imagine is very tricky and involved a lot of workarounds that easily could have screwed up the member numbers. Have you ever looked at the database behind IPB? It's huge, has a bunch of dependencies between tables, and isn't fun to try and figure out. Then you take phpBB and VBulletin which are equally complex but written differently. You have to try and take data from one and somehow make it fit into a completely different database. It's trying to fit squre shaped objects into circular holes.

Here's a way to think of it. Try making a Wordperfect document with lots of fonts, fancy figures, precise layout - a really complicated document. Now try opening it in Wordperfect - it doesn't look so good. It's because each piece of software has its own way of storing the data and when you try to use one with the other it involves a lot of tweaking to get it to work correctly.

This is almost like a mystery book. Mystery of the Missing Numbers. I actually find this thread very suspensful, almost like watching a movie and until we start putting all the clues together and getting more evidence, we'll never solve the mystery. Dun, dun , dun.....

That's a good point, at some point they may have 'reenrolled' everyone in the new software and the old user id's just got thrown out, in which case it's tough to say what the ordering or anything was.

You're talking about something completely different. Switching servers is an easy task - you just copy the database. What we're talking about is switching the software[/b] while trying to maintain data, which I imagine is very tricky and involved a lot of workarounds that easily could have screwed up the member numbers.[/b] Have you ever looked at the database behind IPB? It's huge, has a bunch of dependencies between tables, and isn't fun to try and figure out. Then you take phpBB and VBulletin which are equally complex but written differently. You have to try and take data from one and somehow make it fit into a completely different database. It's trying to fit squre shaped objects into circular holes.

Here's a way to think of it. Try making a Wordperfect document with lots of fonts, fancy figures, precise layout - a really complicated document. Now try opening it in Wordperfect - it doesn't look so good. It's because each piece of software has its own way of storing the data and when you try to use one with the other it involves a lot of tweaking to get it to work correctly.

My bad, I didn't read correctly. Yes, I only switched servers, not software. I've never done a software switch. I was using phpBB software for my board. My apologies.

This is almost like a mystery book. Mystery of the Missing Numbers. I actually find this thread very suspensful, almost like watching a movie and until we start putting all the clues together and getting more evidence, we'll never solve the mystery. Dun, dun , dun.....

well, the only way we will get to the bottom of this is if the "missing number" guys actually show up. My guess is member #'s between 6 - 14,000 don't exist at all.

I think Graeme is actually one of the originals (and he doesn;t even realize it) and his # is 14,354. Along my theory, i think Graeme is actually #354

Maybe (and this is just a conspiracy theory) that the original forum arbitrarily inflated the membership to get higher advertising dollars? I don't know, it is just a thought.

If I recall, the oldest forum didn't have a speck of advertising on it; the closest thing we've had to advertising on this forum is the "Best Buy" thing at the top, and that was added in the last year or two. So I don't think that'd be it.

Plus, I think they get their funding from the NHL.

well, the only way we will get to the bottom of this is if the "missing number" guys actually show up. My guess is member #'s between 6 - 14,000 don't exist at all.

I think Graeme is actually one of the originals (and he doesn;t even realize it) and his # is 14,354. Along my theory, i think Graeme is actually #354

JL, #13287, is still here. So is Volcan63, #13338, a member mainly on the french side of the forum.

And so is Galen_Alda, #13383.

I'm actually not one of the originals. I believe JL was here from about the start and his number is still 13,000 and something.

Maybe (and this is just a conspiracy theory) that the original forum arbitrarily inflated the membership to get higher advertising dollars? I don't know, it is just a thought.

Those are just ID numbers, changing them does not affect the member count. If you look on the front page, there are about 25k registered members, but the newest member has a member ID over 40,000. Plus that would probably be illegal to lie about to advertisers about something like this, plus there's never been any advertising (only think i that Best Buy tag, and that isn't really advertising).

Sometimes a cigar is a cigar, at some point along the way those numbers weren't assigned or were re-assigned for whatever reason. And trust me that the reason was technical, not some sort of trick.

Sometimes a cigar is a cigar, at some point along the way those numbers weren't assigned or were re-assigned for whatever reason. And trust me that the reason was technical, not some sort of trick.
yup, you're probably right... but it is always fun to have a conspiracy theory :D

JL, #13287, is still here. So is Volcan63, #13338, a member mainly on the french side of the forum.

And so is Galen_Alda, #13383.

cool.. so we are getting lower..

Archived