The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Project For Developers/designers On These Message Boards!

tricolore_21

Alright, so while I'm fully in the middle of exams, I just wanted to propose this idea so we could get working on it this weekend or whenever. I was looking for themes for my firefox browser and discovered that the St Louis Blues have their own fan-created theme that has even been adopted "officially" by the team. I figure that if they can do it, we should be able to as well!

That's why I'm proposing that all the webs developers and graphic designers on these boards team up together to create our own theme that people around these boards and other habs fans would have access to (free of charge, of course)! I've already been designing a couple of elements, but I'm working off of the following theme: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/8247 (Something very simple, but with a nice show of team spirit)...

If anyone is interested in helping out, I'd love to get their help, since my abilities are largely graphic based.

------------------------

Also, you know those little widgets that are used in sidebars on Windows or Macs? I have yet to find a nice, functional widget that keeps track of sports scores. I'd love to design one that keeps track of habs scores and displays the final score of the previous game (similar to the front page of the habs website) but I have no idea how to create such a thing, simply how to design it! This would be another fun project I guess, but again, I imagine it wouldn't be so easy so I understand any reluctancy, having so much work and exams myself...

Cool idea to customize Firefox!

I had a similar idea, maybe someone could develop an NHL app (or Canadiens app) for the iPhone/iPod Touch, similar to what they have for MLB... I imagine you would need proper liscences/permissions from the NHL, but I guess it could be done.

Having no software developing skills myself, maybe someone can get cracking on this too?

Cool idea to customize Firefox!

I had a similar idea, maybe someone could develop an NHL app (or Canadiens app) for the iPhone/iPod Touch, similar to what they have for MLB... I imagine you would need proper liscences/permissions from the NHL, but I guess it could be done.

Having no software developing skills myself, maybe someone can get cracking on this too?

I believe iPhone development is highly restricted. Apple wants to be able to control the software on the phones, and only a handful of developers have access to it. I'm not sure about this, but I think this is what I've heard

Also, you know those little widgets that are used in sidebars on Windows or Macs? I have yet to find a nice, functional widget that keeps track of sports scores. I'd love to design one that keeps track of habs scores and displays the final score of the previous game (similar to the front page of the habs website) but I have no idea how to create such a thing, simply how to design it! This would be another fun project I guess, but again, I imagine it wouldn't be so easy so I understand any reluctancy, having so much work and exams myself...

Those vista widgets are just HTML, CSS, and XML. The only programming involved is Javascript, so it probably isn't that difficult. The hard part may be finding a good stream to get the scores from.

I actually just took a look at it now and it's a lot more simple than I thought it would be. At least, so for what I've tried out.

It's mostly CSS, which I can manage, and the rest is graphics basically. I figured out how to put it together and design our own, and I have all the files that make up a theme for Firefox. I looked at a few things, and of what I've tried I'm having the biggest issue with the graphics, I'm very confused.

Although it would be very difficult to have more than few people working on this, because it's a one-to-two person job. If anyone wants an explaination (I'm not genius at it yet, but I can probably explain it) message me and I'll try my best =)

Hmm, well that's great. I'd love to get started on it with you.

Yeah, I know it's very simple in the graphics department, but I found that the other sports themes were WAY too busy, and actually just ended up looking ugly. Basically, we would just be switching up the icons and adding some minor graphics, maybe even a few different themes for the Centennial or for fan favorites...

I'm glad you're not too intimidated by the CSS. All I could do is bold or italicize things :P I'll message you once I'm done exams this weekend.

Now you've got me thinking of trying to find a way to get a dynamic signature on this forum (something like showing the current stat leaders or something). I have a pretty good idea how to write the code to do this, the problem is getting it to show up on the forum. The forum software seems to stop me from executing code from my signature.

Now you've got me thinking of trying to find a way to get a dynamic signature on this forum (something like showing the current stat leaders or something). I have a pretty good idea how to write the code to do this, the problem is getting it to show up on the forum. The forum software seems to stop me from executing code from my signature.

Most forums do prevent any sort of executable code, mainly for security reasons I think.

Most forums do prevent any sort of executable code, mainly for security reasons I think.

Ya but there used to be a workaround where you'd make a folder named something like 'sig.png' and place your script in there, then link to that from your sig. But it looks like they've fixed that hole.

Dude, I've taken HTML and beginner CSS classes. I would love to try helping you and I can also help on the graphics part if needed. I'm out of town for the weekend, but can definately look at this on Monday.

Twenty Two: You seem like you understand for the most part what to do. Would you mind explaining to me?

If we get this working, I'm switching over to Firefox :lol:

I'll look into it, but I don't know anything about coding and such. The easiest way would be to request a source code from another one that you have seen and like that has all the required elements. Then all you need is to switch the information and images to the correct team.

Also Graeme, I was looking for the exact same thing, as per this post. http://forum.canadiens.com/index.php?showtopic=21448

Ah I see. I'm actually making some small progress with this, see my reply in that topic.

Thank you, will drop by there next.

As for this topic, I did some initial research and this appears to be the most comprehensive and in depth instance I can find. I didn't install DOMi so I balked at going any further tonight, if I find the time to do it at all. http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.ph...2ac52470a33ef11

It has the added benefit of being able to read through other's issues while using the tutorial. I didn't read through all of it yet.

What I don't understand is why it isn't a simple matter of finding the font and image files and replacing them with your own creations and simply keep the same file name. Not being a programmer, maybe someone could enlighten me?

That tutorial seems a little too complicated.

I actually found something way easier, and it takes it step by step, and this guy, named twistermc, actually has a .zip folder that anyone can download to make their own theme. It has all the codes you need, and images. Which I downloaded and I've been looking at it and changing things around to see what I can do and it's actually working really well.

I've never used firefox before so I'm trying to get used to the internet browser, and learning how this whole things works.

Here's the website:

http://www.twistermc.com/blog/2008/10/15/ipox-remix-2

Basically, it's made up of images, and CSS. The way the images are set up is confusing but with a little bit of playing around anyone can get it.

I know a lot of coding from designing websites, and this theme would take a heck of a lot more, but I'm pretty sure I can handle it, with a few bumps here and there.

First I'm going to start with unscrambling all the CSS files, and figuring out what goes where.

If anyone wants to download the file that I'm working on, message me.

And- anyone who wants to help, we should talk over AIM, because it'd be way more convenient, so if anyone wants to do that, my screen name is in my profile.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope you guys are still working on this, I got the one from the site but it is so visually unappealing. The red background with black text makes it so difficult to read the text. I've seen some pretty nice firefox themes for sports teams and I would have to say I am disappointed about this one... Sorry for being negative but just being honest...

Hmm, I really want to know if they created the new theme after seeing our idea on these message boards ... I feel we deserve credit :P

Yeah, I have to agree, the new one isn't too visually appealing, but I've been working on mine for a while - it's much more neutral and looks like the default firefox theme, but with habs graphics and some added color ... It'll be out by winter break unfortunately, because I have exams and TONS of work, but it will come out! Glad to see people are still keeping interest.

Archived