The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

League To Make Rule On Blocking Shots

FirstStar

Now, I don't know about you, but in my NHL, blocking shots is part of the game... This is where the American High scoring fans influence the game. Just look at what's popular in America when it comes to sports. Americans love their high scroing games, basketball, Baseball (although it does have the odd game that ends with low scores), football, etc... We all remember a few years back when they talked about making the nets bigger.

Now they're discussing changing the rules on blocked shots. They don't want the sweeping, lay down blocked shots. They want to make a rule, where the blocker must keep one skate upright on the ice.

Why?

They believe it will make it harder to block a shot and that this new rule, will generate more goals(or more scoring chances), since more shots will get through. Pretty much every rule they've added (in the past few years), has to do with generating offense. The new penalty face off rule, has and will generate more scoring chances. Although I don't "mind" the face off/penalty rule, I just wish they'd stop changing the game. Blocking shots has been a part of the game since the defensive forward style of play, came about. It became popular due to players like Carbo, taking this aspect of the game away will hurt the game. Blocking shots has also generated short handed goals - How many times after blocking a shot, had the pucked bounced out of the zone, giving the team that was originally killing the penalty, a chance to move the play in the other direction. It creates turn arounds and keeps the game exciting.

I really don't like the thought of this new rule, hopefully the GM's will be against it as well.

This is all according to TSN, saw it during the intermission of the TO/boston game.

You do know it was Gainey who made the suggestion, right? He even brought in a video presentation. (See the video on TSN). I'm not totally against eliminating the sweep though. Habs block shots mostly without sweeping. Actually it makes me nervous when a guy sweeps 'cause I'm afraid he'll be skated over or the puck will lodge in his mouth...

Also when you block a shot with at least one skate on the ice, you can still remain in the game. The problem with sweeping is once you're down, you're basically out, hoping your play worked.

You do know it was Gainey who made the suggestion, right? He even brought in a video presentation. (See the video on TSN). I'm not totally against eliminating the sweep though. Habs block shots mostly without sweeping. Actually it makes me nervous when a guy sweeps 'cause I'm afraid he'll be skated over or the puck will lodge in his mouth...

Also when you block a shot with at least one skate on the ice, you can still remain in the game. The problem with sweeping is once you're down, you're basically out, hoping your play worked.

But it's the player's choice. I think we should just leave it. Does it really matter how you block a shot? Blocking a shot is about putting the team first, and not allowing players to be able to block the shot in a certain way... well, it's just not right :D

Actually, some coaches including our own Guy Carboneau, actually teach how to block a short correctly using the sweeping motion. I remember seeing something on this several years ago, I forget which coach it was or team (something tells methe nucks), but it was a NHL coach teaching his team how to block shots while protecting yourself. Basically, one of the things he taught, was to turn your head away from the shot, so the puck doesn't hit you square in the face. At the time of this demonstration, I think they were the team with the most blocked shots, which is why they were airing it during the intermission.

Sure it's a gamble, but so is a poke check from a goalie. If it works, he knocks the puck off the players stick and has just saved a goal, it if doesn't, he's completely out of the play which usually results in a goal. Gambling is a big part of the game, sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't. Pulling the goalie with a minute left in the game is a huge gamble, but we've all been witness to teams winning and losing from it.

I do side with you, it does make me nervous. It's nice to see a player block a shot for the good of the team, but it doesn't help the team to much if your out for several games. In the end, I feel it should be up to the individual player. Not up to the league to dictate if a player should or wants to put himself in harms way or not.

It's been a part of the game for so long now. What are they going to do, give a penalty to a guy who stops a puck with his face?

I think the puck in the face is penalty enough. :P

Regulating something like this would be a complete joke. Is it a penalty for illegal shot block? If so, where do you draw the line on illegal vs legal. I mean, what if a guy dives to poke it out of the zone or simply loses his footing while getting out on a man? Do both those plays result in a penalty? Will they have instant replays to determine if, when the shot was blocked, the man has one foot planted during those scrambles in front of the net? There is the potential to be WAY too much of a grey area and we all know how "great" those referees are with grey areas. :rolleyes:

Actually, some coaches including our own Guy Carboneau, actually teach how to block a short correctly using the sweeping motion. I remember seeing something on this several years ago, I forget which coach it was or team (something tells methe nucks), but it was a NHL coach teaching his team how to block shots while protecting yourself. Basically, one of the things he taught, was to turn your head away from the shot, so the puck doesn't hit you square in the face. At the time of this demonstration, I think they were the team with the most blocked shots, which is why they were airing it during the intermission.

Sure it's a gamble, but so is a poke check from a goalie. If it works, he knocks the puck off the players stick and has just saved a goal, it if doesn't, he's completely out of the play which usually results in a goal. Gambling is a big part of the game, sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't. Pulling the goalie with a minute left in the game is a huge gamble, but we've all been witness to teams winning and losing from it.

I do side with you, it does make me nervous. It's nice to see a player block a shot for the good of the team, but it doesn't help the team to much if your out for several games. In the end, I feel it should be up to the individual player. Not up to the league to dictate if a player should or wants to put himself in harms way or not.

It's been a part of the game for so long now. What are they going to do, give a penalty to a guy who stops a puck with his face?

I think the puck in the face is penalty enough. :P

It was Craig Mactavish I think mate, whilst they were on the way to the Stanley Cup final a couple of years ago

I don't see that there will ever be enough of a consensus within the league administration to ever attempt to impliment such a rule. I'm also kind of upset that this is the sort of thing they are discussing when they could be hashing out more important issues. Everything is about more goals, more goals and more goals. If it is a large issue, such as the trap, it makes sense to regulate it as it sucks all of the life out of the game. When a player is desperate enough to make a shot block by diving to the ice, that is usually an exciting situation, it's entertaining. There's no reason to remove it and it doesn't ruin the game.

Why not just remove the blue lines and treat the red line as half court. Remove the goaltender and make the net smaller, suspend it a couple of feet off the ice and make every goal count for two points, unless it is shot from outside the blue line, then it would be three points.

It is hockey. Enough with the glowing pucks and handicaps. If you don't like it, stay away from my game.

Now if they want to do something useful :

Allow the coach to call for a review if a player was injured on a play. The referee determines if the reason for the review was correct. If it was not, that team sacrifices their time out and is assessed a delay of game penalty. Too many high sticks and cheap shots are missed and occasionally a penalty is called when the player was not at fault.

Remove the two minutes for blood. Ridiculous to call an additional penalty for accidental misuse of the stick. If it was intentional, assess a roughing penalty or misconduct as well. A player makes the choice of how much of a helmet he is going to wear. If he chooses to use anything less than a full visor, it should be at that player's own risk to do so.

There's more, but that'll do for a start.

Regulating something like this would be a complete joke. Is it a penalty for illegal shot block? If so, where do you draw the line on illegal vs legal. I mean, what if a guy dives to poke it out of the zone or simply loses his footing while getting out on a man? Do both those plays result in a penalty? Will they have instant replays to determine if, when the shot was blocked, the man has one foot planted during those scrambles in front of the net? There is the potential to be WAY too much of a grey area and we all know how "great" those referees are with grey areas. :rolleyes:

After reading Innis_Mor's post in the Gainey thread where he said "hockey is meant to be played on your feet, not your backside, I gave this some more thought and have come to this conclusion:

Initially I thought this was a dumb idea considering that we'd have to trust officials with such a grey area call. However, after reading the bolded part, I somewhat agree. Hockey is meant to played on your skates. It seems that the advances in equipment have made players far too brave nowadays. I would imagine that back in the day people would have been less apt to dive in front of a blazing shot because, with the limited equipment, they'd get hurt. So I suppose here are the options to keep players more "honest".

1. take away some of the modern "armour"

2. implement a shot blocking rule

Clearly the players would be against option 1. Interesting debate for sure

I think it's a decent rule that would allow clear shooting lanes and easier puck movement. Guys are so big, defences are so much more sophisticated, goalies have big equipment and better technique, and as others have noted players are so well protected they block tons of shots. These things all lead to less offense.

Rules such as Gainey's are about ensuring a balance exists in the game - it's a relatively small tweak but incremental changes are necessary to keep pace with how the game is played. The NHL didn't change much rule-wise in the decade before the lock-out and look where the game went during that time. Did anyone really enjoy watching the dead puck era when some years no one hit fifty goals or one hundred points? This isn't simply about allowing more goals to please American fans, it's about improving the game. There is nothing wrong with changing the game to keep up with how it's played. At one time there was a rover on each hockey team but the ice was to clogged up so the league went from 6 guys to 5. Pretty drastic but now it's the norm.

Baseball has made significant changes to the height and position of the mound to keep a balance between hitters and pithcers. If pitchers starting working with new pitches and batting averages dropped significantly than the plate moved back a bit to compensate. If batters were really hammering pitchers and ERAs were through the roof than the plate moved in a bit to tip the advantage back towards the pitchers. Back in 2000 baseball changed up how they called the strikezone - a really big change. http://www.sptimes.com/News/022701/Sports/...pts_to_a_.shtml

My main point is the game has changed a lot with the trap, carbon fibre sticks, butterfly goaltending, better conditioning, equipment, coaching, etc. The rule book has to accomodate these changes. That doesn't mean that every proposal has merit but I'm glad to see the GMs talking about small, incremental changes that could improve the game.

I do agree with everyone who says that these aren't the most important issues that should be dealt with - head shots, hitting from behind and discipline for repeat offenders come to mind - but that doesn't mean these smaller proposals don't have merit.

Case in point, I was annoyed to all heck last night every time a Ducks player went horizontal in front of Giggy. Despite the fact he's a good goalie anyway, and they're HUGE players to begin with... I was sitting there actually really warming up to Gainey's idea...

Guys can block shots just fine, if not better, with at least one foot on the ice.

After reading Innis_Mor's post in the Gainey thread where he said "hockey is meant to be played on your feet, not your backside, I gave this some more thought and have come to this conclusion:

Initially I thought this was a dumb idea considering that we'd have to trust officials with such a grey area call. However, after reading the bolded part, I somewhat agree. Hockey is meant to played on your skates. It seems that the advances in equipment have made players far too brave nowadays. I would imagine that back in the day people would have been less apt to dive in front of a blazing shot because, with the limited equipment, they'd get hurt. So I suppose here are the options to keep players more "honest".

1. take away some of the modern "armour"

2. implement a shot blocking rule

Clearly the players would be against option 1. Interesting debate for sure

This is a good point. However, hot blocking is a part of the game. well i think that it would be ridiculous to implement a shot blocking rule in the NHL. does Gary betman need 30 goals a game that bad? i miss the old nhl. the gritty nhl where players could hook, trip, dive, hit......even block shots! now you can't even skate without getting a penalty...the nhl is becoming too soft. if players wanna sacrifice their bodies to block a potential scoring opportunity, let them! its beautiful to see how much some players would do for their team to stop the other team from winning. Shot blocking is as much a part of the game as hitting, shooting, and fighting.

and how to judge what is and whats not. if a player loses his footing, and is hit with a shot on the way to the net, are they gonna give that player 2 minutes in the box? thats bogus. it would be ridiculous.

implementing a shot blocking rule would make things so much dumber. serioudly folks? are you kididng? those that support this rule....common. watch the old montreal games. see how it was. how exciting and real and gritty the nhl used to be. thats good hockey. watch that good old hockey and tell me you want shot blocking to be abolished from the sport. how soft do you want to make it?

just my point of view..

This is a good point. However, hot blocking is a part of the game. well i think that it would be ridiculous to implement a shot blocking rule in the NHL. does Gary betman need 30 goals a game that bad? i miss the old nhl. the gritty nhl where players could hook, trip, dive, hit......even block shots! now you can't even skate without getting a penalty...the nhl is becoming too soft. if players wanna sacrifice their bodies to block a potential scoring opportunity, let them! its beautiful to see how much some players would do for their team to stop the other team from winning. Shot blocking is as much a part of the game as hitting, shooting, and fighting.

and how to judge what is and whats not. if a player loses his footing, and is hit with a shot on the way to the net, are they gonna give that player 2 minutes in the box? thats bogus. it would be ridiculous.

implementing a shot blocking rule would make things so much dumber. serioudly folks? are you kididng? those that support this rule....common. watch the old montreal games. see how it was. how exciting and real and gritty the nhl used to be. thats good hockey. watch that good old hockey and tell me you want shot blocking to be abolished from the sport. how soft do you want to make it?

just my point of view..

It was actually Bob Gainey's idea to stop shot blocking, but Buttman probably wants the rule in place because he wants to make the NHL look like basketball..

(Double Digit Scores)

Case in point, I was annoyed to all heck last night every time a Ducks player went horizontal in front of Giggy. Despite the fact he's a good goalie anyway, and they're HUGE players to begin with... I was sitting there actually really warming up to Gainey's idea...

Guys can block shots just fine, if not better, with at least one foot on the ice.

Good points. I mean, the game was designed to be played on skates wasn't it?

I do understand, though, some frustration with 3-4 tweaks to rules every season (I mean, was the face-off change after a penalty really needed? I guess we'll see how many PP goals are scored this season -- my guess is 'not many').

But three, four, five skaters flopping to the ice in front to the goalie, while the goalie (big, like Giguere) stays standing really kinda kills the essence of the game. That's what BG is getting at. That and "playability" at times, of the puck.

Somewhat of a parallel is soccer, where a player on the ground amongst players standing isn't allowed to play the ball with his feet (not fair to the others who are "forced" to be careful not to kick the player on the ground in the head, or you know where. :D In hockey, it makes it hard to play the puck with your stick when there's three, four, five opponents flopping around on the ice with no face cage on, etc.

Good points. I mean, the game was designed to be played on skates wasn't it?

I do understand, though, some frustration with 3-4 tweaks to rules every season (I mean, was the face-off change after a penalty really needed? I guess we'll see how many PP goals are scored this season -- my guess is 'not many').

But three, four, five skaters flopping to the ice in front to the goalie, while the goalie (big, like Giguere) stays standing really kinda kills the essence of the game. That's what BG is getting at. That and "playability" at times, of the puck.

Somewhat of a parallel is soccer, where a player on the ground amongst players standing isn't allowed to play the ball with his feet (not fair to the others who are "forced" to be careful not to kick the player on the ground in the head, or you know where. :D In hockey, it makes it hard to play the puck with your stick when there's three, four, five opponents flopping around on the ice with no face cage on, etc.

It's their choice not to wear a face guard. 100% their decision. lol. if they wanna flop, let em, skate around haha. shot blocking shouldn't get taken out of the game. hockey is changing too much. as if they wanna take out something like shotblocking.

I've been talking with people about this and I'm kind of warming up to the idea. The obstruction calls were added to open up the ice and allow the players to skate and a horizontal body takes away an entire passing lane as well as a skating path.

I would approve simply to make the ice more playable. Make sure there is a little bit of room to maneuver out there. One problem I see, in regards to helping offense, it could have the side effect of making defensemen play defensively. One defenseman on his own wouldn't be able to lay down to stop a play. In a two on one for instance, the defenseman ideally takes the pass, normally by going horizontal in the passing lane. If that one play is eliminated, it could have a major effect.

The number of goals from odd man rushes would rise significantly. Teams would be less aggressive on offense to avoid those odd man rushes. Teams will adapt strategy to create more odd rush opportunities.

If it is my team, I could see having to prohibit the D pinching in or the backdoor play. I'd encourage pressure on the point in the defensive zone. I might also have two players leave the zone when the puck is contested and attempt to spring them.

I prefer the five man plays myself, so it would bother me to see games decided by a couple of 2 on 1 opportunities.

It's a tough call and a hard sell, but it isn't as completely out there as I thought at first.

I've been talking with people about this and I'm kind of warming up to the idea. The obstruction calls were added to open up the ice and allow the players to skate and a horizontal body takes away an entire passing lane as well as a skating path.

I would approve simply to make the ice more playable. Make sure there is a little bit of room to maneuver out there. One problem I see, in regards to helping offense, it could have the side effect of making defensemen play defensively. One defenseman on his own wouldn't be able to lay down to stop a play. In a two on one for instance, the defenseman ideally takes the pass, normally by going horizontal in the passing lane. If that one play is eliminated, it could have a major effect.

The number of goals from odd man rushes would rise significantly. Teams would be less aggressive on offense to avoid those odd man rushes. Teams will adapt strategy to create more odd rush opportunities.

If it is my team, I could see having to prohibit the D pinching in or the backdoor play. I'd encourage pressure on the point in the defensive zone. I might also have two players leave the zone when the puck is contested and attempt to spring them.

I prefer the five man plays myself, so it would bother me to see games decided by a couple of 2 on 1 opportunities.

It's a tough call and a hard sell, but it isn't as completely out there as I thought at first.

Funny how something BG has obviously thought through (I don't think he ever speaks without having thought things through :D ) starts to make more and more sense. Some GM's at the Meeting (Tambellini, for example) said BG's presentation was effective.

The rinks can't be made any bigger (or won't be), and the players are just getting both bigger (well, maybe less so lately) and faster (definitely). We even have players rolling over onto the puck after blocking it, and refusing the get up, and as soon as the sticks start pitch forking in, the ref blows the whistle to stop play before the guy on the ice (who went down of his own volition) gets hurt.

I mean, intrinsically, it makes more sense to me than (for example), an offensive shot off the cross bar and out no longer has to mean a face-off outside the blueline :blink: (how exactly is a cross bar different from the glass? -- I suppose the GM's/League are saying they are not able to make the borders of the goal infinitesimally thin? But then, shots that go cross bar and in still count as goals, don't they? :blink: ) Now, there's a rule put in just to try and encourage more offensive opportunities, but which has no rationale basis whatsoever, and is, in fact, directly at odds with similar aspects, or situations, of the game.

It's their choice not to wear a face guard. 100% their decision. lol. if they wanna flop, let em, skate around haha. shot blocking shouldn't get taken out of the game. hockey is changing too much. as if they wanna take out something like shotblocking.
No, it shouldn't you're right. But the best shot blocker in the game rarely (never?) goes down to make his blocks. There must be something to that. ;)

THATS THE WHOLE POINT OF SHOTBLOCKING!! TAKING AWAY THE LANE! thats the reason players block shots! to stop the puck from getting through the lane. you make a good point. it opens up the ice for more maneuvering, but shot blocking is essential and a great part of the game. people that block those big boomers show heart when they sacrifice for their team. shot blocking is a great thing. like..5 on 3 penalty kill, player sets up at the point and fires towards the net. in a sprawling attempt, a player dives in front of the puck to conserve the one goal lead. why take it out?

we've already seen too many overtime periods this season and it just started! they wanna make the nhl a much more high scoring open game. im all for scoring and room to make huge moves and plays, but if they can't score when people block shots every once and a while, then try harder or cry about it, but there's no sense in taking out another part of the great game to become a sport like basketball.

How about shot blocking is legal short handed and in overtime? Basically, any time there aren't 10 skaters on the ice.

I know the point and effectiveness of a shot block. But as Innis said, the rinks aren't getting any bigger. The game has evolved to the point where a little extra room would likely be a welcome addition. This isn't extra room, but it prevents the room that is available from being too clogged.

Archived