The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Philly Interested In Halak

SteenIsThaFuture

Sources tell the Ottawa Sun that Flyers GM Paul Holmgren has major concerns about Martin Biron and Antero Nittymaki and he's quietly shopping for a new goaltender.

Although Blackhawks G Nikolai Khabibulin's name is always mentioned when teams are shopping for a netminders, the Flyers can't afford his $6.75M salary.

The Sun reports the two options that team are strongly considering is Canadiens backup Jaroslav Halak and Thrashers prospect Ondrej Pavelec.

The Flyers were expected to be contenders but sub-par performances by Biron (2-3-1. 3.95, .868 this year and career 172-146-25, 2.58, .910) and Nittymaki (0-0-2, 3.80, .881 this year and career 47-53, 3.09, .898) has had the franchise in a slight panic mode.

Halak is 2-0-0, with a 2.51 and .918 this year and career 14-7, .269 and .913.

Pavelec is Atlanta's top prospect taken in the 2nd round in 2005. In 7 games last year he was 3-3 3.11 and .905 while in the AHL was 33-16-3 2.77 and .911. He is off to a very fast start this year in the AHL at 4-2-1 1.69 and .941.

http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Hockey/200...207226-sun.html

Hmmmmm, I'll say what I've been saying all along, it's still too soon to be shopping Halak.

Plus, anything we could use from Philly, they wouldn't be ready to part with. I wouldn't want Briere anyways, anyone who snubs his home town is looking to get booed when he steps foot in the city.

Bet Briere wishes he would've taken the Habs up on their offer, the grass isn't always greener is it Briere?

Hmmmmm, I'll say what I've been saying all along, it's still too soon to be shopping Halak.

Plus, anything we could use from Philly, they wouldn't be ready to part with. I wouldn't want Briere anyways, anyone who snubs his home town is looking to get booed when he steps foot in the city.

Bet Briere wishes he would've taken the Habs up on their offer, the grass isn't always greener is it Briere?

Laraque snubbed Montreal big time, he wrote an article dissing the city in many ways about why he would never want to play here.

It wouldn't be Briere but if we get someone like VanRiemsdyk (I'm dreaming) or heck even Coburn I'd love it.

Well it's not even about shopping him, it's about potentially another team coming to us with an offer which ofcourse we'd listen to on our backup goalie. Philly has a lot of good young talent and other then the fact we're rivals in the same conference probably match up perfectly as a trading partner.

Not to be negative, but why does he wish that? He helped them knock us out last season... He doesn't have to deal with the fanatical fans and media and is playing on a good team who is obviously very dedicated to fielding a competitive team year in year out.

If this trade were to go through, it wouldn't be for a center like Briere (Who probably has a NMC, anyway). The problem with them in terms of immediate help is on D they're pretty top heavy, NO chance we get Coburn, I'd say it's almost as unlikely they deal Timonen.

I really don't know what Halak's value is either, so it's tough to speculate.

It wouldn't be Briere but if we get someone like VanRiemsdyk (I'm dreaming) or heck even Coburn I'd love it.

They won't trade JVR for Halak, if we want to talk about a prospect who's that good they'll be asking for Carey, which obviously we wouldn't do.

I don't see anyway they move Coburn either, he's a young stud. Maybe if it was Halak + a guy like Gorges we can get Timonen?

Well it's not even about shopping him, it's about potentially another team coming to us with an offer which ofcourse we'd listen to on our backup goalie. Philly has a lot of good young talent and other then the fact we're rivals in the same conference probably match up perfectly as a trading partner.

Not to be negative, but why does he wish that? He helped them knock us out last season... He doesn't have to deal with the fanatical fans and media and is playing on a good team who is obviously very dedicated to fielding a competitive team year in year out.

If this trade were to go through, it wouldn't be for a center like Briere (Who probably has a NMC, anyway). The problem with them in terms of immediate help is on D they're pretty top heavy, NO chance we get Coburn, I'd say it's almost as unlikely they deal Timonen.

They won't trade JVR for Halak, if we want to talk about a prospect who's that good they'll be asking for Carey, which obviously we wouldn't do.

I don't see anyway they move Coburn either, he's a young stud. Maybe if it was Halak + a guy like Gorges we can get Timonen?

That would require a massive salary dump from us.

Besides, I wouldn't part with our talented backup just now, he's signed to next season's closure. Good teams need good goaltending, and having two reliable options is not a luxury we should part with.

That would require a massive salary dump from us.

Besides, I wouldn't part with our talented backup just now, he's signed to next season's closure. Good teams need good goaltending, and having two reliable options is not a luxury we should part with.

The same kind of salary dump that any other good DMan we're talking about would require. Ofcourse I was just speculating outloud, but doing so I decided to leave out potential salary going back to Philly.

The fact is, Halak isn't going to land us one of the absolute best prospects in the world, or a cheap young stud on the backend.

Would you do it for Luca Sbisa?

The same kind of salary dump that any other good DMan we're talking about would require. Ofcourse I was just speculating outloud, but doing so I decided to leave out potential salary going back to Philly.

The fact is, Halak isn't going to land us one of the absolute best prospects in the world, or a cheap young stud on the backend.

Perhaps, should he be offered to us. But I wouldn't be the caller to Philadelphia for this deal. I really think we'd be better safer than sorry. Price hasn't got a full NHL season yet, Denis is a very average tender and we're on a cup run this year. Not that I don't trust Price, but he is human, and not Brodeur.

But I admit that Sbisa would make me think over it instead of making me hanging the phone, like a Hatcher (finished), or Timonen (high salary) type of offers.

And no, there are good Dman who wouldn't require much in the way of salary dump. I think you qualify of ''good Dman'' only marquee players, while I, on the other hand, call these marquee players : ''great Dman''.

We need a 4th Dman, or in other words, a good, not a great Dman.

What I'm trying to say is that Timonen is better than a 4th Dman, much more expensive (6.33M), he has a long-term contract when we have plenty of young blood coming soon, and he's the top D in Philadelphia. No deal for him.

I wasn't really serious about briere, I just brought him up due to his history with us.

I agree, with addition of Prospal last season, the Flyers really turned things around. But that isn't the case this year, they find themselves behind the Leafs.

There could be something worth trading for, since Philly does have some players out with injuries, mainly on the defense. Which is why they made that trade at the beginning of the season with Ottawa. It was obviously just a band aid type solution until their top players returned.

Who would they be willing to give up for Halak?

It's very hard to say, since Halak hasn't really shown much thus far.

I'm against helping a team on the east coast, since we're already having to contend with the hot Sabres and the Rangers.

Either way, in my book, the Halak idea should be put on the back burner until we have someone capable of taking his spot.

It be interesting to see what they and other teams would be willing to offer us, since we will be shopping him eventually.

We'd be stupid not to listen to what they have in mind, but unless it's a win, win situation for us Halak should at least finish out the year. With a good season under his belt, we'll be in a better situation to deal. Until he's proven or at most, shown great potential, we can't really be asking for too much.

It is possible but just don't see the logic of trading Halak at this point in his career. Fairly low salary, very good backup, and next contract is RFA.

The only way that I could see it would be if Halak was part of the package.

For example: Jeff Carter (big center, with big $5 million contract) to Montreal

Halak ($775k) + Pleks ($1.6 million) + Dandenault ($1.725) to Flyers

How much is Halak worth by himself? Not sure. But it should be a lot higher at the trade deadline.

Perhaps, should he be offered to us. But I wouldn't be the caller to Philadelphia for this deal. I really think we'd be better safer than sorry. Price hasn't got a full NHL season yet, Denis is a very average tender and we're on a cup run this year. Not that I don't trust Price, but he is human, and not Brodeur.

But I admit that Sbisa would make me think over it instead of making me hanging the phone, like a Hatcher (finished), or Timonen (high salary) type of offers.

And no, there are good Dman who wouldn't require much in the way of salary dump. I think you qualify of ''good Dman'' only marquee players, while I, on the other hand, call these marquee players : ''great Dman''.

We need a 4th Dman, or in other words, a good, not a great Dman.

What I'm trying to say is that Timonen is better than a 4th Dman, much more expensive (6.33M), he has a long-term contract when we have plenty of young blood coming soon, and he's the top D in Philadelphia. No deal for him.

Sbisa would be someone to consider, but I doubt very strongly that the Flyers would be willing to get rid of him so early in his career. This is the type of situation that could come back to haunt them.

They're desperate for strong (or in the least-capable) goaltending, but as desperate as they are, I don't think they're willing to give their conference rivals much in return. Bobby Clark is still very present in the Philly organization and he isn't an idiot either. I think we'd be hard pressed to get anything worthwhile from Philly, considering we face them several times over the coarse of a season.

Hard to see how a deal works here for the Habs; Halak's salary would not free up much cap space, and anything the Flyers have that might match what we need and want for 'now" (this season) will be too much a hit. Then the Habs have to roll a replacement back up goaltender into it all as well.

Let them call; then let them continue to suffer. :lol:

Because the Flyers do not have good goaltenders; Biron used up a career's worth of horseshoes against the Habs last play-offs. And it's not that they've not been making spectacular saves this season, it's just that they've been giving up some really (and I mean really) bad goals. ;)

And after Timonen and Cobourne, the Flyers do not have any good defense either (Sbisa is 18 years of age; he'll be good, one day). It's always a sign when you're going about after training camps are over, picking up other teams' cast-offs (e.g., Alberts, from Boston).

Hey, I've got an idea! The Flyers could just trade goaltenders with Ottawa -- two for two!! :lol: ROTFLOL !! Tell them to give Murray a call! :lol:

My thoughts are exactly along the lines of 'fansince1975' above. Unless you're sending us some good, strong-bodied forward talent, Halak's not moving at this point in his contract.

We are in a very good position with a goaltender like Halak as backup. In most cases, it's extremely tough to justify moving him; the only way it would make sense at any time in the next year and a bit would be if some serious talent was headed back the other way.

My thoughts are exactly along the lines of 'fansince1975' above. Unless you're sending us some good, strong-bodied forward talent, Halak's not moving at this point in his contract.

We are in a very good position with a goaltender like Halak as backup. In most cases, it's extremely tough to justify moving him; the only way it would make sense at any time in the next year and a bit would be if some serious talent was headed back the other way.

Exactly!

Hey, I've got an idea! The Flyers could just trade goaltenders with Ottawa -- two for two!! :lol: ROTFLOL !! Tell them to give Murray a call! :lol:
Actually, I just thought of Tampa. They have two goaltenders that are both seemingly playing well (just the rest of the whole team stinks). They need good D, but then, so do both Philly and Ottawa!! :D Man, what a pickle to be in! :lol:

Exactly, we have no reason whatsoever to weaken our goaltending position to help out a conference rival unless we'd see something really enticing in return. Even Sbisa I wouldn't necessarily take, it would have to be a player capable of helping us right away, which is where it gets problematic since the Salary Cap comes into play. I don't think it's gonna happen.

Unless we trade Dandeneault, Bouillon, and Halak for Coburn to get a quality Dman in return and free up some cap space at the same time for a nice little pitch at the trade deadline. Philly, however, would have to be really desperate for goaltending to make that trade. Again, ain't gonna happen, it's a pipe dream.

I would trade Halak for Sbisa in half a second. Sbisa is going to be great.

I would LISTEN (and that would probably be it) to offers involving Carter. I am not sure what Philadephia has in their system, but I can't think of any players off the top of my head who jump out at me. Carter's not even that proven at the NHL level. Especially for his salary of $5 million. As far as I'm concerned Philadelphia can continue to be horrible and Montreal can continue to be awesome, and that's fine with me!

No deal, I say! :P

thats a thinker

It is possible but just don't see the logic of trading Halak at this point in his career. Fairly low salary, very good backup, and next contract is RFA.

The only way that I could see it would be if Halak was part of the package.

For example: Jeff Carter (big center, with big $5 million contract) to Montreal

Halak ($775k) + Pleks ($1.6 million) + Dandenault ($1.725) to Flyers

How much is Halak worth by himself? Not sure. But it should be a lot higher at the trade deadline.

I agree that if we are going to trade Halak, he needs to be part of a bigger deal as we need him here. I love the idea of getting Jeff Carter here. Those who expect to get a defenseman in return, think twice as Philly needs goaltending and defense, so I have a feeling that it might take something else to get him, a Josh Gorges, O'Byrne or Bouillon (they'd likely try for Komi). We could get another young goalie in that deal to replace Denis, who would have to be called up.

Claude Giroux? Ryan Parent?

Archived