The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Kovalchuck On The Table?

The Ottawa Sun reports that league executives are whispering that Thrashers LW Ilya Kovalchuk might become available sooner rather than later.

Kovalchuk, 25, can become an unrestricted free agent after next season, but the Sun reported that talk among NHL GMs is that the Thrashers might be willing to make a huge deal before the trade deadline.

Atlanta is in a clear rebuilding phase and would want elite young talent in return.

Kovalchuk is like a Super-Gaborik.
Yes, he certainly is better. I think Atlanta would want some of the likes of Pacioretty, Weber, Suban, picks, and not just current roster guys. They are rebuilding for 3-4 years from now (kinda like the Leafs :D ; and kinda not like TBay, who are first attempting to implode before starting to rebuild again :lol: ).

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/atl081026.html

Moreover, though, he's still got another year under contract. Don't usually see a trade 1.8 years out. But, then Thornton was traded similarly, so ....

Not sure Atlanta was happy the way the Hossa deal worked out for them either, so maybe they won't wait 'till the deadline this time.

Yes, he certainly is better. I think Atlanta would want some of the likes of Pacioretty, Weber, Suban, picks, and not just current roster guys. They are rebuilding for 3-4 years from now (kinda like the Leafs :D ; and kinda not like TBay, who are first attempting to implode before starting to rebuild again :lol: ).

Oh okay wow, then I'll re-do my offer, if they aren't like T-bay trying to keep fans happy all the time and making the team top-heavy...

Latendresse

Higgins

Suban

Chips

Halak

for

Kovalchuk

Hedberg

:D

2 years ago I would have had a first class seat on the Kovalchuk Train.

The problem with getting a guy like Kovalchuk NOW, is that, as others have indicated, the Trashers most likely would want a couple of PROVEN top flight young prospects and a couple of BLUE chip prospects.

We could afford this for this year - but could we afford it in the long-run? Its one thing to give up guys like Higgins, Lats, Chipchura, Halak etc...but remember that if we resigned Kovalchuk long term coupled with the fact that guys like Koivu, Lang, Kovalev arent getting any younger.... We have lots of defensive depth, but not tons up front.

well, I see us in a bad position in a year or 2.

I guess my point is this: I wouldnt mind giving up some top flight prospects for a rental later in the season (would only cost us maybe 1 roster & 1 blue chip prospect) - obviously this wouldnt mean Kovalchuk as he's not UFA this year - if it meant a better shot at the cup. I am NOT in favor of bringing in an elite player who is already established because i think it would rip this team apart in the very near future.

I still would prefer to go the route of bringing in a young guy - like one of Phoenix's potential top 3 young centre prospects - who likely wouldnt cost us a ton right now because we are in a position to wait for him to develop. ;) Heck, Id love to get ahold of Atlanta's own Bryan Little! :)

I prefer Kovalchuk over Gaborik or Havlat.

The Kid is young and could be around for several years or could go the Hossa route, looking for greener pastures.

I hear what you're saying Jedimaas, that's why i was happy when the whole Sundin issue came up in June. We wouldn't lose much (same players we lostover the summer), plus Brise and maybe one more.

The issue with Kovalchuk is what will they be asking for in return?

Since they are rebuilding, they'd want at least one player they could play today and a few that could be ready in a year or so.

He makes a good rental type player, with the possibility of signing for a few years. We have a lot of depth and quite a few young kids coming up. Realistically, I don't see Kovy around much longer.

I like the fact that Kovalchuk is a right handed shot, he's had 2 50 goal seasons and almost hit the 100 point mark in 05-06.

Considering they're in a rebuiding mode, I doubt they care about trading in their conference or facing us during the regular season. Now we have to look at what they're after, they do have vets in Schiender, Kozlov, Havelid and Reasoner, although schiender won't be around much longer at 39.

I wouldn't mind us looking at Hainsey, but since they acquired him in the off season, I doubt they'd be willing to part with him.

I say we should definitely look at kovalchuk.

Now, Kovalchuk is a player I would inquire about. But he would cost a whole lot to acquire, not necessarily in quantity, but in quality. So, maybe I'd pull the trigger, but only if we get to improve our defense before. This is where our real need is.

But as far as Kovalchuk is concerned, I believe it would start with Pacioretty, nothing less.

Here is what I believe it would take to get him (not that I would do it)

Pacioretty

The Kostitsyn brothers

We'd get Kovalchuk and a high pick from the Thrashers if we can't extend Kovalchuk during this summer or next season.

I don't believe in giving lots of middle-of-the-pack players to get one superstar. It takes high-end talent somewhere, not sheer numbers.

Now, Kovalchuk is a player I would inquire about. But he would cost a whole lot to acquire, not necessarily in quantity, but in quality. So, maybe I'd pull the trigger, but only if we get to improve our defense before. This is where our real need is.

But as far as Kovalchuk is concerned, I believe it would start with Pacioretty, nothing less.

Here is what I believe it would take to get him (not that I would do it)

Pacioretty

The Kostitsyn brothers

We'd get Kovalchuk and a high pick from the Thrashers if we can't extend Kovalchuk during this summer or next season.

I don't believe in giving lots of middle-of-the-pack players to get one superstar. It takes high-end talent somewhere, not sheer numbers.

I wouldn't give the Kos brothers for a rental player, there are no guarantees that he'll still be here next season and the Kos bros will.

Patches I liked what I've seen from him so far, I'm with you that it will cost a player of his caliber. Although he's shown a lot of potential, I doubt he'll be a 50 goal scorer. We were all a buzz with him when he played in the pre-season, but he isn't doing too much as of late. I'm not worried, he'll turn it around and end up with the big boys eventually. But do I think he's of Kovalchuks potential, certainly not.

Kovalchuk would be a player we could grow with, considering Kovy isn't getting any younger. Plex, A & K Kos are going to need line mates.

I wouldn't give the Kos brothers for a rental player, there are no guarantees that he'll still be here next season and the Kos bros will.

Patches I liked what I've seen from him so far, I'm with you that it will cost a player of his caliber. Although he's shown a lot of potential, I doubt he'll be a 50 goal scorer. We were all a buzz with him when he played in the pre-season, but he isn't doing too much as of late. I'm not worried, he'll turn it around and end up with the big boys eventually. But do I think he's of Kovalchuks potential, certainly not.

Kovalchuk would be a player we could grow with, considering Kovy isn't getting any younger. Plex, A & K Kos are going to need line mates.

I, too, wouldn't give the brothers, but it's the kind of return the Thrashers would ask for, and get.

Kovalchuk is Hossa and Gaborik's level, and if the Thrashers decide to trade their star player this season, it would make a 2-years rental, which has much more value than a several-months rental, thus increasing his trade value.

I would rank Ilya, overall talent-wise in the 2nd tier of NHL forwards, behind guys like Crosby, Malkin, Iginla and Ovechkin, and alongside guys like Hossa and Gaborik, Thornton, Lecavalier.

He's an established 50-goal scorer, and wouldn't go for depth players and even only one young prospect like Patches.

Please God no! Stop w/ the Higgins rumors already.

Unfortunately, you have to give something to get something back. I really like Higgins, but if we're going to land ourselves some younger (younger then Higgins) 50 goal scorer, then... hmmmmm.

I do think Higgins is a lil under rated here in Montreal. He can play both a defensive and an offensive game. 27 goals last season with so many missed opportunities, that could've easily turned into 35 goal season for him, despite his injury.

Thrashers are going to want something in return and I'm not about to part with the Kos Brothers or Plex. We would probably have to throw in someone else just to make room for him, cap wise. Someone along the lines of Bouil, dandy or even Brise. they'd also want a forward, maybe, Chips, Patches or someone else who could make it. They don't have the depth of the Habs, if we sent them someone like chips he probably would be playing with them this season. I don't know, I just don't see Chips with the Habs, now or even next season.

Brise might be someone they'd look at (as a way for us to get under cap), Schiender and Brise both played on the '93 Habs. With Hainsey on the same team, might open things up for Brise, he'd also be out of the media spotlight. Although, that does give them a lot of veteran (offensive) talent on the d.

Unfortunately, you have to give something to get something back. I really like Higgins, but if we're going to land ourselves some younger (younger then Higgins) 50 goal scorer, then... hmmmmm.

I do think Higgins is a lil under rated here in Montreal. He can play both a defensive and an offensive game. 27 goals last season with so many missed opportunities, that could've easily turned into 35 goal season for him, despite his injury.

Thrashers are going to want something in return and I'm not about to part with the Kos Brothers or Plex. We would probably have to throw in someone else just to make room for him, cap wise. Someone along the lines of Bouil, dandy or even Brise. they'd also want a forward, maybe, Chips, Patches or someone else who could make it. They don't have the depth of the Habs, if we sent them someone like chips he probably would be playing with them this season. I don't know, I just don't see Chips with the Habs, now or even next season.

Brise might be someone they'd look at (as a way for us to get under cap), Schiender and Brise both played on the '93 Habs. With Hainsey on the same team, might open things up for Brise, he'd also be out of the media spotlight. Although, that does give them a lot of veteran (offensive) talent on the d.

So, to summarize your thoughs, we'd have a shot at Kovalchuk for :

Higgins (decent second liner)

Bouillon, Dandenault or Brisebois (spare parts with little to no value for the salary they make, except Brisebois in Montreal it seems)

Chipchura or Pacioretty (a prospect or a NHL-ready fourth liner with third line potential)

Not gonna happen. Not even close. It looks a lot like the Thornton move. (M. Sturm, W. Primeau, B. Stuart)

The Ottawa Sun reports that league executives are whispering that Thrashers LW Ilya Kovalchuk might become available sooner rather than later.

Kovalchuk, 25, can become an unrestricted free agent after next season, but the Sun reported that talk among NHL GMs is that the Thrashers might be willing to make a huge deal before the trade deadline.

Atlanta is in a clear rebuilding phase and would want elite young talent in return.

END CREDIBILITY :rolleyes:

I, too, wouldn't give the brothers, but it's the kind of return the Thrashers would ask for, and get.

That is exactly my point & why I would not waste too much effort trying to deal for Kovalchuk.

He's an elite talent but if it would take the dismantling of our future to acquire him its not worth it.

So, to summarize your thoughs, we'd have a shot at Kovalchuk for :

Higgins (decent second liner)

Bouillon, Dandenault or Brisebois (spare parts with little to no value for the salary they make, except Brisebois in Montreal it seems)

Chipchura or Pacioretty (a prospect or a NHL-ready fourth liner with third line potential)

Not gonna happen. Not even close. It looks a lot like the Thornton move. (M. Sturm, W. Primeau, B. Stuart)

I didn't say trade these people to get him, I mentioned players that could be put on the trading block.

Obviously they wouldn't just settle for Higgins, Patches and whoever we decide to throw in to get us under cap. But They'd have no reason to not accept our attempts at getting bellow cap. They are 10 mil under cap as it stands, getting rid of Kovalchuk would put them even more under cap.

We're not a team that needs play makers... What we need, is a sniper, someone capable of putting in 50 goals a season. if it were later on in the season, I might even go as far as to offer up Kovalev/Higgins as well as Patches and O'byrne if we were guaranteed he'd stick around for a few seasons and we'd also look at what we could get in the form of a solid d-man to round us out and take care of all our issues... Would probably require a 3 team trade. What I like in their d would be someone they wouldn't be willing to part with, not without it costing us half our team.

I know people are going to come down on me for even mentioning Kovalev's name. Let's face it, the guy isn't getting younger and unfortunately, I doubt he'll be able to top what he did last season. Whether we get Kovalchuk or not, we're going to have to shed some cap space come next season anyways. I'd rather get someone like kovalchuk for Kovalev instead of losing him to free agency.

Obviously, this is just the tip of the iceberg , so please don't think I expect to get a 50 goal scorer for nothing. I'm just throwing ideas and names out there.

If you could keep the Kosty bros ,Kovy,Tanguay,Lang,Koivu and Pleks why not in a centennial year??? he'd be around for more than a year to work on signing him and Langs only on a year contract at what ??4plus mill?...if you don't sign him there are teams that would in his last year anyway...this is one of the best pure shooters the league has seen .....if it didn't decimate the team I'd give it a shot

If you could keep the Kosty bros ,Kovy,Tanguay,Lang,Koivu and Pleks why not in a centennial year??? he'd be around for more than a year to work on signing him and Langs only on a year contract at what ??4plus mill?...if you don't sign him there are teams that would in his last year anyway...this is one of the best pure shooters the league has seen .....if it didn't decimate the team I'd give it a shot

That would leave, from our roster, Higgins and Latendresse who could be sacrificed ? Even the two of them don't carry enough weight. Maybe later this year or, if Latendresse can continue to play well, making his value increase, but I can't see how we could get Kovalchuk without giving someone from your list.

That would leave, from our roster, Higgins and Latendresse who could be sacrificed ? Even the two of them don't carry enough weight. Maybe later this year or, if Latendresse can continue to play well, making his value increase, but I can't see how we could get Kovalchuk without giving someone from your list.

Well, there's still Markov and Price.

END CREDIBILITY :rolleyes:

Can't agree more.

Why exactly something wrong with that paper?

Bruce Garrioch. He, Eklund and Strachan are from the same mold: Making things up to sell.

For what it's worth, I don't buy it one bit. If Atlanta trades Kovalchuk, it will be at the deadline next year, not a minute before then. No sense in wasting anyone's time with that ridiculous "rumour".

Well Kovalchuk is a left-winger, so we'd likely be giving up any of Christopher Higgins, Andrei Kostitsyn or Max Pacioretty.

Add in a 2010 1st round draft pick.

Jaroslav Halak if they need a goalie.

And one other youthful roster player, anyone from Josh Gorges to Kyle Chipchura I guess.

Atlanta will get more for Kovalchuk if they trade earlier.

I think I would do it.

Can't agree more.

Bruce Garrioch. He, Eklund and Strachan are from the same mold: Making things up to sell.

For what it's worth, I don't buy it one bit. If Atlanta trades Kovalchuk, it will be at the deadline next year, not a minute before then. No sense in wasting anyone's time with that ridiculous "rumour".

I got it from the ESPN insider package, you need to pay for it so therefore I didn't provide a link.

Thanks for quickly assuming I'm full of it without politely asking for a link first.

Archived