The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Shanahan Exploring Options

Source (TSN)

One of the last prominent free agents in the NHL is available for hire, as the New York Post reports that veteran winger Brendan Shanahan has informed his agent to explore playing options other than the New York Rangers.

"I've told (agent) Rick (Curran) that I can no longer wait and that it's time to move on," Shanahan, told The Post.

"Until now, Rick has been under instructions to tell inquiring teams that my focus was on re-signing with the Rangers, and that I was not accepting any other offers. That has changed."

Shanahan, 39, previously said he would only play with the Rangers this year, but the team never came close to signing him because of salary cap issues.

Shanahan scored 23 goals and 45 points last season, and has 650 goals and 1,340 points in 1,490 career NHL games.

So, there's probably not much to this, but does anyone think Montreal would be a potential destination? I can't say I am interested in acquiring Shanahan, but he might be useful if the club starts to flounder. I don't know. What does everyone else think? :)

Source (TSN)

One of the last prominent free agents in the NHL is available for hire, as the New York Post reports that veteran winger Brendan Shanahan has informed his agent to explore playing options other than the New York Rangers.

"I've told (agent) Rick (Curran) that I can no longer wait and that it's time to move on," Shanahan, told The Post.

"Until now, Rick has been under instructions to tell inquiring teams that my focus was on re-signing with the Rangers, and that I was not accepting any other offers. That has changed."

Shanahan, 39, previously said he would only play with the Rangers this year, but the team never came close to signing him because of salary cap issues.

Shanahan scored 23 goals and 45 points last season, and has 650 goals and 1,340 points in 1,490 career NHL games.

So, there's probably not much to this, but does anyone think Montreal would be a potential destination? I can't say I am interested in acquiring Shanahan, but he might be useful if the club starts to flounder. I don't know. What does everyone else think? :)

This info was already posted in the "If I were GM thread"... but for what's its worth I would take a serious look at Shanny (again)

Article quote:

"Shanahan, 39, previously said he would only play with the Rangers this year, but the team never came close to signing him because of salary cap issues."

... and yet the rumour persists that NYR is still trying to get Sundin to sign? What, is Sundin to be loads cheaper? Or not signing Shanny is going to leave them enough cap space to sign Sundin?

I am more of the opinion that Shanahan is deemed to be too slow now (by NYR), and I think I am of the same view, at this point.

He's certainly not fallen back to a Gary Roberts level yet ( http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8450900&view=log and $2.4MM per :blink: ), but I think there is challenge in mixing in these slower guys with a fast team, except clearly on the PP. Habs have Lang already; I don't think they can keep adding experience (even with some sniping still left) without slowing the team down. I could be wrong, obviously.

... and yet the rumour persists that NYR is still trying to get Sundin to sign? What, is Sundin to be loads cheaper? Or not signing Shanny is going to leave them enough cap space to sign Sundin?

I think the plan would be to trade one of their current high priced centers, Gomez or Drury. Atleast, I've read that around.

I am more of the opinion that Shanahan is deemed to be too slow now (by NYR), and I think I am of the same view, at this point.

He's certainly not fallen back to a Gary Roberts level yet ( http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8450900&view=log and $2.4MM per :blink: ), but I think there is challenge in mixing in these slower guys with a fast team, except clearly on the PP. Habs have Lang already; I don't think they can keep adding experience (even with some sniping still left) without slowing the team down. I could be wrong, obviously.

In this case I think you are wrong...I don't think Shanny's all that slow, i consider him to be like Chelios-If we can add a Brendan Shanahan for a cup run, you've got to.

I agree with this Innis. I don't want him either for the reasons you've stated. As far as having him in the locker room for leadership purposes, we have too many leaders as it is, not point in adding one more. I don't feel he fits in with this club at the moment. The only way I'd like to see another player added this season is if it's a Kovalchuk type of player. A true sniper.

does anyone think Montreal would be a potential destination? I can't say I am interested in acquiring Shanahan, but he might be useful if the club starts to flounder. I don't know. What does everyone else think? :)

The way i see it, the situation is pretty clearly like this:

1) Adding Shanahan would likely mean only losing one player for a salary dump (ie Dandoullion) so that would be good.

2) Adding Shanahan would give us some veteran experience & leadership for the playoffs - good

3) Adding Shanahan will mean less ice time for someone - likely one of Sergei, Lats or Higgins - bad

4) Adding Shanahan will mean we've used ALL of our salary cap cushion (including a waive/dump) so the chances of adding a top 4 dman is less likely - bad

5) Shanahan is a pure finisher - good...but past his prime - bad. Means he could score some key goals in the postseason, but is that worth carrying him for a whole year?

6) Shanahan is sloooow - bad - especially on our team.

I dont know. I think there are definite pros and cons. My bigger concern is this: does what he bring overrule what it would cost us if we signed him? In a non-cap NHL Id have already offered him a contract. In todays NHL though, I think Id be worried about how signing him could affect our chances of adding a true missing puzzle piece come February.

1) Adding Shanahan would likely mean only losing one player for a salary dump (ie Dandoullion) so that would be good.

2) Adding Shanahan would give us some veteran experience & leadership for the playoffs - good

3) Adding Shanahan will mean less ice time for someone - likely one of Sergei, Lats or Higgins - bad

4) Adding Shanahan will mean we've used ALL of our salary cap cushion (including a waive/dump) so the chances of adding a top 4 dman is less likely - bad

5) Shanahan is a pure finisher - good...but past his prime - bad. Means he could score some key goals in the postseason, but is that worth carrying him for a whole year?

I dont know. I think there are definite pros and cons. My bigger concern is this: does what he bring overrule what it would cost us if we signed him? In a non-cap NHL Id have already offered him a contract. In todays NHL though, I think Id be worried about how signing him could affect our chances of adding a true missing puzzle piece come February.

The part in bold makes the decision easy Jed.

Those are so great points jedimaas. I think what's more important for our club is acquiring a legitimate top-4 defenceman at the deadline, and acquiring Shanahan (however far-fetched) would severly hinder Montreal at possibly, as you say, adding the important piece of the puzzle in the month of February.

I like the comparison. However, if Carbo played the 4th line less the ice time for the young players could actually increase even with Shanny. I know that Shanny is getting old and I know that he picked the Rangers over Montreal a couple of years ago. However for me it is easy. Begin versus Shanny. Hands down Shanny. Dandenault versus Shanny, hands down Shanny,

Great shot. No one messes with Shanny, extremely tough player. Lots of leadership. 650 goals. Knows where the net is located. Could make the PP better and our PP needs help this season.

How much money would he be looking for? I think this is the biggest question as Montreal only has around $1.9 available cap space and would have to remove someone from the roster to make room on the team. The player removed would have a salary of between $1 and $1.8 million making the most that Shanny could be paid by Montreal at $3.7 million. Therefore since most teams try to keep $1 million for short term AHL callups the maximum salary would be $2.7 million. hmmm. Technically there are 8 games gone so 1/10th of the salary is not paid to Shanny. Would Shanny agree to play for $2.7 which is really $2.5 million?

I think Shanny would make the Koivu line very impressive. It would only cost us a veteran player like Dandenault. Who would want Dandenault and his salary? There is no room for paying half his salary if sent down and then up via waivers.

Shanny - Koivu - Tanguay

A.Kostitsyn - Pleks - Kovalev

Latendresse - Lang - S.Kostitsyn

I like the comparison. However, if Carbo played the 4th line less the ice time for the young players could actually increase even with Shanny. I know that Shanny is getting old and I know that he picked the Rangers over Montreal a couple of years ago. However for me it is easy. Begin versus Shanny. Hands down Shanny. Dandenault versus Shanny, hands down Shanny,

This is a great point! you're quite right that if Shanny was to say, sign for Begin or Dandy type dollars (possible) and then we could find a suitor for that player - even for a 5th round pick or something - then the decision is much easier.

What I dont want is a player like Shanahan (or Recchi or some other vet who could really help us in the post season) taking away valuable ice time from our young & learning wingers. If he came in to replace Dandy or Begin's spot, I could definitely live with that (providing the money doesn't restrict us for further moves).

Shanny - Koivu - Tanguay

A.Kostitsyn - Pleks - Kovalev

Latendresse - Lang - S.Kostitsyn

As much as I'd love to see Shanny with the big CH ... where would that leave Higgins?

Shanny - Koivu - Tanguay

AK47 - Pleks - AK27

Lats - Lang - SK

Higgy - Lapierre - Laroque?

If we were to sign Shanny, it would be in our best interest to not only dump Dandy but Higgins or Lats as well .... Higgins or Lats in my mind are currently more valuable than Shanny. Now, if Shanny were to play on the 4th line instead ....

If Shanny were to consider an offer from BG, then i doubt very much he would be happy playing a 4th line role as some suggest,,, with the replacing of Begin or Dandy.IMO, he would be looking to hook up with a team needing his services on their top 2 lines. I can't see that happening in Montreal.

When your FIRST priority is that you only want to play in a certain city, at 39 years of age, it's probably time to retire. He had his chance to sign with Montreal. At this point in his career, I think we no longer have a need for Mr. Shanahan. I know that sounds bitter - but I can't think of anyone I would rather have him substitute for.

I would have him in the lineup over Dandenault or Begin,and also give him some PP time.He would be perfect for crashing the net and getting traffic in close on the PP.

Which top 9 forward do you remove for Shanahan?

Looks like he plays on the wing.... could take him as an upgrade on a current winger, trade said winger for draft picks, and use a Hamilton guy as the go-between in the intermediary 2 or 3 years. Good for short and long term at expense of medium term.

Why would we be interested in messing up our current roster and team chemistry to help Shanny get a job since the one he really wanted is not available to him?He didn't want to play for Montreal when he was still capable and effective,why would we covet him now when the lights are dimming on his stardom?He may not necessarily already be "washed up",but he is most certainly not the player we would have liked to get when we offered hin a chance to play here before.Yes,he could possibly still do some important things for a little while,but I'm not convinced that what he brings would be worth sacrificing the playing time/development of our current players.I feel we could arrive at the same spot without him just as easily as with him and ,therefore,lose nothing in the interim!

Shanahan is a useful addition to any hockey club. The problem with us signing Shanahan, is just that. He's an addition, an extra. He doesn't fill a need and he doesn't improve on a current element, at least not significantly. If we were to make another deal that saw Higgins, Latendresse or perhaps Plekanec leave, then we could justify Shanahan, but whether or not that is an improvement, would depend on the deal made to free up the room for him.

I would prefer to make a deal for Recchi if we were considering Shanahan. He's affordable right now, is a similar/comparable player with similar/comparable qualities and wouldn't be difficult to obtain.

Shanahan is a useful addition to any hockey club. The problem with us signing Shanahan, is just that. He's an addition, an extra. He doesn't fill a need and he doesn't improve on a current element, at least not significantly. If we were to make another deal that saw Higgins, Latendresse or perhaps Plekanec leave, then we could justify Shanahan, but whether or not that is an improvement, would depend on the deal made to free up the room for him.

I would prefer to make a deal for Recchi if we were considering Shanahan. He's affordable right now, is a similar/comparable player with similar/comparable qualities and wouldn't be difficult to obtain.

We could have picked up Recchi at half price on re-entry and we didn't and at that point we needed him more, why would we pick him up now at full price.

Archived