The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Alfredsson And Senators Agree To Four-year Deal

It's not a bargain considering the risk. Past the age of 35, a guy can drop off at any time, I'd say it's more the exception that at 40, a player can still play at a high level. Not only is it a fair bit of money to be risking on a guy who is probably going to be declining, but I believe if he is forced to retire, injured, or sent to the minors, his cap hit counts since he is 35 years old. And since he makes less in the later years of this deal, there is less incentive to avoid retirement. Remember Malakhov? The Devils basically had to give away a first round pick just to clear cap space (even though they didn't need to pay his salary anyways).

This was a case of a player taking less money than he's currently worth for job security, and a team willing to give this security for a good price in the present. Fair, if not risky, deal for both sides.

It's not a bargain considering the risk. Past the age of 35, a guy can drop off at any time, I'd say it's more the exception that at 40, a player can still play at a high level. Not only is it a fair bit of money to be risking on a guy who is probably going to be declining, but I believe if he is forced to retire, injured, or sent to the minors, his cap hit counts since he is 35 years old. And since he makes less in the later years of this deal, there is less incentive to avoid retirement. Remember Malakhov? The Devils basically had to give away a first round pick just to clear cap space (even though they didn't need to pay his salary anyways).

This was a case of a player taking less money than he's currently worth for job security, and a team willing to give this security for a good price in the present. Fair, if not risky, deal for both sides.

I agree 100%.

This is a "fair" deal for both sides but hardly a "hometown discount" considering we're talking about a soon to be 36yr old player who is now signed for over $5m through his 41st birthday. He likely could have gotten more money for a shorter (ie 2 years) contract, but once you start talking 4 years...thats a fairly long deal for a guy already over the 'normal' retirement age in the nhl. He may still be fantastic at age 40 or 41 but right now there's certainly a risk component, thus getting him for less money in the first 2 years.

I heard on TSN last night it's front-loaded, so he would be making around 1million near the end. I don't know why so many people are surprised about it though (in other forums). He's a core to their club and never struck me as the money money money type anyway. They just gotta hope his knees don't give out sooner.

Doesnt matter how much $ hes making near the end

Its still the same cap hit,

Cap hit is what its all about in the New NHL

First year, 50 million, second year, 1 dollar

Cap hit is still over 25 million per year ;)

Archived