The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Report: Kovalchuk To Montreal Or Toronto?

jl-1

Last night was yet another example of a team with lots of debt, but with no finisher, no sniper to turn the red light on and making the opposing goalie look like an all-star.

I think its unfair to say we made him look like an all-star. Mason is going to be one of the best goalies in the league in a few years. He played a great game and it was no fluke. Give credit where credit is due. Makes you think maybe other teams are shooting right at prices body or pads making HIM look like an allstar.............see unfair.

I think its unfair to say we made him look like an all-star. Mason is going to be one of the best goalies in the league in a few years. He played a great game and it was no fluke. Give credit where credit is due. Makes you think maybe other teams are shooting right at prices body or pads making HIM look like an allstar.............see unfair.

In all due respect, we're comparing apples and oranges. Mason had a GAA of 4.00 and a .846 Sv% prior to last night's game against us. We made him look good, like we made Biron look good in the playoffs last year. Not saying that he didn't make good saves, but we sure helped him along the way.

So to get back on Kovalchuk, HE would find the hole instead of the logo as scoring goals is what he does best.

In all due respect, we're comparing apples and oranges. Mason had a GAA of 4.00 and a .846 Sv% prior to last night's game against us. We made him look good, like we made Biron look good in the playoffs last year. Not saying that he didn't make good saves, but we sure helped him along the way.

So to get back on Kovalchuk, HE would find the hole instead of the logo as scoring goals is what he does best.

LOL the kid has only played 2 NHL games and has won both. He made himself look good and made us look bad. You really think we lost to philly last year because we did not have a sniper?????? We lost because our goalie was burned out, we were lacking in expierience and we were out muscled. It had nothing to do with having ONE sniper making the difference. We were the highest scoring team last year so imo scoring was not the problem in the playoffs, it was the the old school hockey that the bruins and philly brought to the table that was the problem.

LOL the kid has only played 2 NHL games and has won both. He made himself look good and made us look bad. You really think we lost to philly last year because we did not have a sniper?????? We lost because our goalie was burned out, we were lacking in expierience and we were out muscled. It had nothing to do with having ONE sniper making the difference. We were the highest scoring team last year so imo scoring was not the problem in the playoffs, it was the the old school hockey that the bruins and philly brought to the table that was the problem.

This.

Hockey is a team game. One player wouldn't have made a difference in a series we lost in 5.

Besides, Kovalchuk wouldn't have come to the heel of Umberger at the time :lol:

I heard it's always bad to give due credit to an opponent. It is so much more constructive to bring down yourself, or the party you support.

This.

Hockey is a team game. One player wouldn't have made a difference in a series we lost in 5.

Besides, Kovalchuk wouldn't have come to the heel of Umberger at the time :lol:

I heard it's always bad to give due credit to an opponent. It is so much more constructive to bring down yourself, or the party you support.

:blink::blink::blink::blink:

Folks, with the way the Thrashers have been playing lately (won 3 or 4 in a row now), there is no way that Kovalchuk is being traded this year. Him being traded this season was a long shot to start with, but if they have a chance at making the playoffs, he's staying put for sure.

Folks, with the way the Thrashers have been playing lately (won 3 or 4 in a row now), there is no way that Kovalchuk is being traded this year. Him being traded this season was a long shot to start with, but if they have a chance at making the playoffs, he's staying put for sure.

Deep down I believe we all knew this, JL. We merely wished to escape reality and imagine a true sniper donning a Habs jersey. :P

We then must hope that Kovalchuk, Kozlov and Enstrom stop dominating soon and for long ! :lol: No, I have Enstrom in my pool, he must continue :D

I'm convinced this habs squad needs a boost.With the current team they will finish high in the standings and exit early from the playoffs.I am convinced the current habs are not a playoff team,they need something and maybe it is Kovalchuk??

to survieve in the play-offs this squad needs one thing: a dependable 4th D-man to pair up with Hamrlik. We have enough talented forwards to get our share of goals scored. we need to solidify the defence. i'd bet you, with a solid d behind them our forwards would instantly play better anyway.

before i get massacred: i'm not against having a sniper, i love snipers! but i love the habs even more and all they need right now is a 4th defenceman. plus such a player costs much less than a sniper, so we wouldn't have to give up 2 roster players, picks, prospects and so on. if we're lucky one of our many d-prospects and medium to high pick will get the job done.

Deep down I believe we all knew this, JL. We merely wished to escape reality and imagine a true sniper donning a Habs jersey. :P

Earlier this season, when they were loosing and hanging in the bottom of the standings, there was a small, very small outside chance of that happening but not now.

to survieve in the play-offs this squad needs one thing: a dependable 4th D-man to pair up with Hamrlik. We have enough talented forwards to get our share of goals scored. we need to solidify the defence. i'd bet you, with a solid d behind them our forwards would instantly play better anyway.

before i get massacred: i'm not against having a sniper, i love snipers! but i love the habs even more and all they need right now is a 4th defenceman. plus such a player costs much less than a sniper, so we wouldn't have to give up 2 roster players, picks, prospects and so on. if we're lucky one of our many d-prospects and medium to high pick will get the job done.

Vince,

you are totally right. a #4 Dman is more valuable to the Habs than a Sniper. Since we have Cap limitation we can't have both. So let's get the #4 Dman first. Let's not all get caught up in the sexyness of a super sniper'; Let's focus on filling the biggest holes = #4 Dman.

We loss Hamrlik and the Leafs beat us!!!! We are thin on quality Dmen!

Kovalchuk is an absolute beast. 25 years old. 6'2", 220lbs. Right handed shot and can play either wing. A point per game player who has not yet reached his prime.

If this guy is available at any point he is a guy to pursue very aggressively. He's is a game breaker type of player with explosive speed and a freakish goal scoring touch. Playing on a team like Atlanta is a waste of his talent and superstar marketability.

While many feel that teams like Atlanta need this type of player to sell the game in the American market, I disagree. I feel superstar players are better for the league when playing for teams like the Canadiens or the Red Wings, a traditional hockey market. What better way to sell the game than to have star players playing for "star" franchises?

Powerhouse and dynasty type teams are good for the league. Take the Chicago Bulls of the Michael Jordan era, for example. Basketball reached a peak during a time when no other team had a legitimate chance of winning. People love stars and they love them even more when they play for a powerhouse team.

Back to Kovalchuk, I won't pretend to know what it would take to get this guy out of Atlanta, but we all know it would tale a lot. We also know that Gainey is not the type to unload the future for the present but if there was ever justification to do so it would be to get Kovalchuk.

Forget Gaborik. And as much as I feel we need a D-man, that goes out the window if an opportunity to get this guy presents itself.

You're absolutely right, I'd go for Kovalchuk in a heart beat. The players I'd be willing to get rid of, I doubt they'd want. I know they'd go after the Kos Brothers or Plex, but without these 3 guys, we'd be in the same boat. Atlanta would definitely want someone who'd be able to play this season.

Patches has shown great potential, but a superstar he is not. Kovalchuk is a superstar, I can't see an offer that will satisfy them, that won't hurt us in the future.

• 3 weeks later...

Kovalchuck could get traded this year because ATL knows that he won't resign he's said mutiple times that he wants to play in a hockey city, ATL isn't its obvious, and if they are gonna lose hi theyre gonna want something for him and heres what would work

from montreal

Higgins

1st round in 2009

1st round in 2011

and pk subban

from atlanta

kovalchuck

2nd round pick 2009

I like Kovalchuk. He's a hard competitor and a team player. His shot isn't too shabby either. He's had a long enough taste of playing in a warm climate in a city where hockey means nothing. But please... have him sign ANYWHERE but Toronto! xHABSFAN19x's proposal works for me. Might not work with Don Waddell though. But the fact is that he needs to get rid of Ilya while he can get something in return for him. The problem Waddell has on his hands though is that the attendance they do get (which isn't much) is mostly people who came to see the exciting play of Kovalchuk and I imagine Waddell is trying everything he can to get him to resign and keep building the team around him. This is a tough situation for Atlanta management.

Kovalchuck could get traded this year because ATL knows that he won't resign he's said mutiple times that he wants to play in a hockey city, ATL isn't its obvious, and if they are gonna lose hi theyre gonna want something for him and heres what would work

from montreal

Higgins

1st round in 2009

1st round in 2011

and pk subban

from atlanta

kovalchuck

2nd round pick 2009

I don't think that will work.

Kovalchuk has 7.5mil cap hit this and next year, Higgins has 1.9mil. According to nhlnumbers, we have 1.5 cap space atm.

On top of that, we have to sign so many UFA this coming summer, with Kovalchuk eating up 7.5mil cap space, we will be forced to dump some key players.

We need a top-4 dman more than a super star winger imo.

Would love to see Kovalchuck come to the Habs. It seems to be an interesting situation Waddel has on his hands. If Kovalchuk won't resign, then Waddel must get something for him. The faster he does it, the more he will get.

I would make Higgins the centrepiece of the deal(didn't want to part with him, but now may be the time), and there are a number of prospects to add to the deal. Habs have the right pieces.

Cmon BG, get this one done.

I personally hate the idea of trading young players, prospects and picks for one "star" player. The result is you screwing yourself long-term.

Personally something really bugs me about Ilya this year, hes on pace for 28 goals and 78 points in what should one of the better years in his career.

The law of averages states he should have a huge bouncback (30 goal 2nd half) but now hes not getting minutes from his coach will impact his stats even more.

I guarantee he gets 55 goals and 100 points next season and then goes back down to 35-40 goals and 75-80 points for the next few years while getting paid 8-9 mil.

Don't do it Bob!

I personally hate the idea of trading young players, prospects and picks for one "star" player. The result is you screwing yourself long-term.

Personally something really bugs me about Ilya this year, hes on pace for 28 goals and 78 points in what should one of the better years in his career.

The law of averages states he should have a huge bouncback (30 goal 2nd half) but now hes not getting minutes from his coach will impact his stats even more.

I guarantee he gets 55 goals and 100 points next season and then goes back down to 35-40 goals and 75-80 points for the next few years while getting paid 8-9 mil.

Don't do it Bob!

Then to be frank, you dislike winning because players like Kovalchuk are game deciding players. Look at the last three Stanley Cup winners...

Carolina: Eric Staal, Cam Ward (arguably)

Anaheim: Teemu Selanne, Scott Niedermayer, Chris Pronger, Jean-Sebastien Giguere

Detroit: Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg, Nicklas Lidstrom

Beyond Price who did not do well during the playoffs, we cannot hope to match the above teams save maybe Carolina although certainly not with how we have been playing. Furthermore Kovalchuk is 25, thus he is still considered youth. If a player like him is available you make an offer in a heartbeat unless your team is solid and ours is definitely not.

Archived