The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Report: Kovalchuk To Montreal Or Toronto?

jl-1

Atlanta entered the league this way. They are one of Bettmans 'projects'. I really find it hard to believe that the NHL is better off with starving clubs like Atlanta than more teams in hockey hotbed CANADA. Not to mention how it may help the Canadian economy..

Why are you all blaming Don Waddel?

For all you know he could just be following orders from his boss. Owners tend to be egomaniacs. They did sell the farm a few years back to lose in the 1st round, I understand Waddel was following orders there as well.

They should firesale Kovalchuk and Hainsey at the deadline.

Atlanta entered the league this way. They are one of Bettmans 'projects'. I really find it hard to believe that the NHL is better off with starving clubs like Atlanta than more teams in hockey hotbed CANADA. Not to mention how it may help the Canadian economy..

Because these teams help keep the salary cap down so other struggling teams can compete. Bettman has slowly transformed the NHL into a backwards operating system: where league stability is actually somehow dependent on weak markets.

Because these teams help keep the salary cap down so other struggling teams can compete. Bettman has slowly transformed the NHL into a backwards operating system: where league stability is actually somehow dependent on weak markets.

Weak is a relative term.

There will always be weaker markets.

And this is based on what exactly?

Just watching him play and his interviews. He seems like the type that has to be the center of attention. Malkin seems the same way. Ovechkin seems to me like more of a care free guy who supports his teammates and cares more about the teams success then their own. I could be wrong, but that is just my impression.

Just watching him play and his interviews. He seems like the type that has to be the center of attention. Malkin seems the same way. Ovechkin seems to me like more of a care free guy who supports his teammates and cares more about the teams success then their own. I could be wrong, but that is just my impression.

I think kovalchuk has a big ego too. but the presence of Kovalev should help him settle down if he ends up here. Let's face it; Ovechkin probably has the highest trade value in the league right now not only bbecause of his scoring ability but also becasue of his infectious enthusiasm about the game. he's one player that every teammate would love to have in the dressing room. that's why Caps would never let him go. same can't be said about guys like Kovalchuk, malkin or even crosby.

Jesus. Who cares if Kovalchuk has a big ego? He's an elite sniper, for Gawd's sake, he can have all the ego he wants. He'd be here to score goals, not get an 'A' in Sensitivity Training 101. Phil Esposito was a cocky s.o.b. but that didn't stop him from being a great player. Ditto Jaromir Jagr, as a more recent example. People make way too much of the clichés about locker-room chemistry and team players. You assemble the best team you can, and worry about the rest later. I'd take Kovalchuk as a Hab in a New York minute.

For Kovalchuk :

Hamrlik

McDonagh

1st pick 2009 and 2010

Matt d'agostini.

Why not just give them the farm,er Hamilton Bulldogs, Cincinnati Cyclones and the Bell Centre. :rolleyes::lol::rolleyes::lol::lol:

Uh, that's not 'giving them the farm.' In fact, there is little incentive for Atlanta to make that deal, since McDonagh is the only blue-chip part of what we'd give. They'd have no use for Hamrlik except as a way to reach the cap floor, and D'Agostini is a solid 2nd or 3rd-line scorer, nothing more. McDonagh and two first-rounders is what we'd need even to get the conversation started.

I swear, people love to overrate our prospects and our depth, yet still somehow believe we can get Mario Lemieux reborn for a bag of pucks. To get a star player in his prime -- e.g. Kovalchuk -- you have to give up a lot.

Uh, that's not 'giving them the farm.' In fact, there is little incentive for Atlanta to make that deal, since McDonagh is the only blue-chip part of what we'd give. They'd have no use for Hamrlik except as a way to reach the cap floor, and D'Agostini is a solid 2nd or 3rd-line scorer, nothing more. McDonagh and two first-rounders is what we'd need even to get the conversation started.

I swear, people love to overrate our prospects and our depth, yet still somehow believe we can get Mario Lemieux reborn for a bag of pucks. To get a star player in his prime -- e.g. Kovalchuk -- you have to give up a lot.

Its human nature to overrate that of which you don't know (like its in the future, so all you can do is dream of what the prospects will be, therefore most tend to overrate because of that dreaming process) and to try to obtain what you want for as little as possible.

Its human nature to overrate that of which you don't know (like its in the future, so all you can do is dream of what the prospects will be, therefore most tend to overrate because of that dreaming process) and to try to obtain what you want for as little as possible.

What really kills me is those who hate player X or player Y because they're no-talent hacks but seem to think GMs around the league will give us their marquee players in exchange for said no-talented hacks. :D

What really kills me is those who hate player X or player Y because they're no-talent hacks but seem to think GMs around the league will give us their marquee players in exchange for said no-talented hacks. :D

Amen, I love how people think Higgins can snatch a gold mine but god forbid I bring up trading Price, or Pacioretty, nope they're "untouchable".

I'd trade for Kovalchuk, but why Hamrlik? Send Atlanta something like Higgins, Dandenault, 1-2 prospects, and possibly someone else or a first round pick. That should be enough for Kovalchuk, and for us, we are overloaded with forwards, especially average ones, so might as well send a few of them in exchange for one of the best. Hey, it worked for Hossa!

Jesus. Who cares if Kovalchuk has a big ego? He's an elite sniper, for Gawd's sake, he can have all the ego he wants. He'd be here to score goals, not get an 'A' in Sensitivity Training 101. Phil Esposito was a cocky s.o.b. but that didn't stop him from being a great player. Ditto Jaromir Jagr, as a more recent example. People make way too much of the clichés about locker-room chemistry and team players. You assemble the best team you can, and worry about the rest later. I'd take Kovalchuk as a Hab in a New York minute.

You assemble the best team you can, and worry about the rest later....and yet Lecavalier is a non starter for you ?

I find this interesting as I feel Vinnie is better than any player on our club.

I know his contract, and everything else brought up, but the fact remains......he is better than anyone on our club.

You assemble the best team you can, and worry about the rest later....and yet Lecavalier is a non starter for you ?

I know his contract, and everything else brought up, but the fact remains......he is better than anyone on our club.

Thats the whole point though, his contract is a pill not worth swallowing in comparison to what he delivers.

The case is not the same with Ilya.

Thats the whole point though, his contract is a pill not worth swallowing in comparison to what he delivers.

The case is not the same with Ilya.

Thank you sportsfreak, that's exactly what I think too. It's not Lecavalier that's the problem, it's Lecavalier at his current cap hit for the next 10 years.

Archived