The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Semin Trashes Crosby

ChitownHabby

Today, Alexander Semin trashed Crosby's game and basically called him out for being overrated and a product of a hype machine. Harsh words with some merit. He also stated Patrick Kane was essentially as good as Sid the kid. My question is does the league need more trash talk?

Answer: YES!!!

Players change teams so often, we rarely see that deep seething loathing nowadays. Komisarek vs Lucic is a great game within a game, Ovechkin vs Malkin, Iginla vs Ohlund the league needs to promote this much more. The NBA learned the art of headlining matchups and building a schedule around great games. Kobe vs Shaq on Christmas was genius with a ton of back story.

Penguins vs Capitals should be the only game on a National holiday hosted in DC. Have Malkin and Ovechkin on the ice to start the game, Semin and Crosby each doing promos for the game. Have Crosby say something intense in RUSSIAN Make Semin come up with a Dolph Lundgren hairstyle...something...anything! The NHL marketing dept is horrendous, Hockey is the best sport in the world and barely gets a slice of a huge pie.

I understand the league wants to clear up the clutter and increase the scoring but they are sacrificing intensity, the one thing our sport has over all others including Football. Hard-hitting, skilled, fast, intense, physical, entertaining and incredibly satisfying when your team scores. No other sport has all those attributes, Football stops too much, Baseball is slow, Basketball can be ignored until the last 2 minutes of a close game, which subsequently takes 20 minutes of real time.

Those sports are just smarter at promoting individual matchups/team matchups and stars. Mcnabb vs Owens, Yanks-Sox, Kobe vs Shaq, every guy in the NBA has a shoe.

Hockey is the ultimate team sport but the league needs to capitalize on its young clean-cut stars, go ahead bash the NFL and NBA as leagues for criminals, bash baseball as a sport built on cheating. Then have Jarome Iginla and Vinny Lecavalier come out and describe their classic fight in the Stanley Cup finals and cut to Vinny smiling with the cup.

Bottom Line: The NHL needs more guys in the spotlight, not just Crosby and Ovechkin. Players need to talk more trash and fighting needs to make a bit of a return. Especially between Superstars.

How great would it be to see Sidney Crosby and Alexander Semin drop the gloves?

Ovechkin vs Malkin? Phaneuf vs Pronger? Datsyuk vs Kane?

Imagine seeing those bouts just once during the season, wouldnt every subsequent game between those teams mean so much more?

Who needs the NBA ghetto / hood crap anyhow

Answer: The same casual viewers who make the NBA a ratings giant in the States, while the NHL toils in relative obscurity.

Honestly, anyone who isn't in favor of more trash talk in hockey is also in favor of hockey remaining a fourth-class sport in the U.S. It may shock you, but Americans aren't all that interested in seeing inarticulate, gap-toothed Canadians and Europeans mumbling the same clichés in a monotone with their eyes downcast game after game.

My question is does the league need more trash talk?

Answer: YES!!!

As someone born in the states, raised in both canada & the states & finally deciding canada was "home" - i would 100% disagree. Its one of the single biggest difference between our cultures- Canadians like to see humility - americans are all about "if you can talk the talk"

Its Wayne Gretzky vs. Charles Barkley - and I know who MOST canadians would pick ;)

@weep, if thats what it will take to make hockey a top 3 sport in the states, I'll pass. Besides I dont think there's ANY way to overturn the big three in the USA so whats the point of modifying our sport to some other country's desires? Heck the fox "glowing blue puck" didnt work, so what would?? :P :P :D

No thanks. If something like a verbal thrashing during an interview comes about organically after a game or between periods as a result of high emotion it's one thing, but purposely calling people out and making a big media circus reminds of wrestling. I think the fact that hockey ISN'T like the major American sports in one reason I've stuck with it for 20 years. I used to like basketball and football as a kid, but the older I got, the more distanced it became for me and the less I cared until, ultimately, I ceased caring all together.

Honestly, anyone who isn't in favor of more trash talk in hockey is also in favor of hockey remaining a fourth-class sport in the U.S. It may shock you, but Americans aren't all that interested in seeing inarticulate, gap-toothed Canadians and Europeans mumbling the same clichés in a monotone with their eyes downcast game after game.

You know something though: I am happy the US is the fourth sport there! It is good for Canada. If hockey was big in the USA, Canadian teams would be small markets instead of large markets. Our teams would get weaker since we couldn't spend to the cap, we would probably lose more teams to what would become more attractive American markets, etc.

On the contrary, I hope the US loses popularity in the USA. It would be awesome if:

- 2-4 teams were forced to relocate to Canada

- another 6 teams or so contracted, improving the quality of the NHL.

Basically, the NHl as a whole needs to be profitable enough that it can still pay more than other hockey leagues (Europe, etc.) to get the best players. Whiel the US not having hockey interest hurts the owners, it hurts the players salaries, as Canadian hockey fans, I think it's a very good thing.

The league would be better off with 10 Canadian teams and 10 US teams in markets where they actually care about hockey (New York, Minnesota, etc.)

I think the OP really is getting at a differnt marketing strategy for the NHL. I don't think they need to hype on trash-talk, but they should be compiling a collection of the greatest hits, plays, moments, etc. that showcase the sport. Start with a bunch of kids playing street-hockey on a cold, snowy day, lead into some pond hockey, cut into a Gretzky goal during atom, then Canada winning a World Junior, some NHL shots and then the Cup. Bring something that evokes the passion we feel for the game. Bring up the number of times Montreal sells out, show the fanatics in the stands, crank the volume of the loudest arenas, basically, put the excitement that is hockey, out there. Show the players who get cut, then stitched on the bench and go back in, as the true warriors they are, then show a big, hulking NFLer getting tuff-toe and missing three weeks, LMAO. We Canadians are smart enough to know the storylines, we know the rivalries, we know the game and what makes it great. Our American friends outside the big markets (Detroit, N.Y.,Philly, Chicago) need the education.

Quoted for truth.

The game needs more players with flash - and that means every once and a while someone will say something stupid like Semin. Why bother interviewing players if you can predict what they're going to say before hand.

I don't think the NHL should script this kind of stuff. They should loosen whatever rules or taboos the league has on showing some personality and originality when talking to the media. Is the league actually filled with players that modest, bland and wholesome?? Probably not, it just seems to be bred into players from minor hockey onward that this is the image that should be portrayed. Do you really need eleven year old kids wearing neck-ties to the rink?

I like my hockey players like they are, none of the trash talk for me.

I don't care about the ratings in the USA, and it doesn't bother me the league is small potatoes as compared to the BIG 3.

Mine is a game of guys with a little class and dignity.

Yes players like Ryan Hollwegg and Chris Simon are wonderful role models :rolleyes: The league can't have it both ways - it's not a bunch of awe-shucks, good-old boys from Saskatchewan. It's a tough sport that's sometimes viscious and occasionally excessively violent. The only difference between NHL players and NBA and NFL players is that hockey players tend to embarass themselves on ice while football and basketball players tend to due it off-ice.

You know what? Even though I disagree with Semin, I commend him for having the gumption to come out and take the almighty Crosby down a peg. Good on him. The sad part is that half the fan responses to Semin's comment on tsn.ca consisted of "Go home, you dumb Russian". Yes, our sport is a classy one, filled with dignity and respect for other individuals, regardless of their nationality. :rolleyes:

Crosby is a good player, but it is extremely unlikely he'll ever live up the hype that preceded his arrival in the NHL, that he would be the next Gretzky. It's not clear he's the best player in the league now and not even clear he's the best player on his team.

Crosby was sucking early on this season until Malkin was put on his line. It's not even clear it's beneficial for a team to have Crosby, as he takes up 9 million dollars in cap space.

PS: Malkin vs Ovechkin?

Weep, seems like we are on the same page. Some of you may have misunderstood me I dont want music and cue cards but the league needs to headline more matchups and players should be interviewed in the penalty box right after a fight with a finger on the censor button. Hockey is an emotional sport with mostly solid citizens playing it but they come off as cookie cutter and bland during interviews. Let the fire be the marketing tool, catch Komisarek 5 seconds after Lucic blindsides him.

Nobody can honestly say the next Caps-Pens game got less interesting now, can they?

I love the good Ol' boy hockey mentality as much as the next guy but the way the salaries keep rising and the cap keeps sliding up, the league is on its way to another lockout if they dont bring in more revenue. More promos, more marquee matchups and better timing for games. Dont make the Pens and Caps play on a tuesday on local TV. Habs-Bruins on wednesday on bruins tv. Big matchups needs primetime slots like the NBA on TNT. Hockey should designate 1 night a week and promote the hell out of it. Saturday is already a lock in Canada. Thurs/Sat/Sun/Mon belong to basketball and college/NFL Football in the US.

Promote Tuesday or Wednesday but only play 2 games on those nights 1 east and 1 west. Basically the Penguins, Capitals, Rangers, Flyers, Habs or Red Wings should be on TV nationally every week in the US followed by the Sharks, Ducks, Flames, Avalanche, Blackhawks, Stars or Wild.

No national games for teams no one cares about. Just like the NBA or Monday night NFL. Only teams with big stars or great records get the right to be showcased on the big night. Give Versus away for free or include it as part of the center ice package.

If the same teams constantly play on the big stage the intensity and hatred will come naturally.

They only other suggestion I really liked was relocating like 4 US teams and moving them to: Quebec City, Hamilton, Winnipeg and another team in Toronto(sigh) or maybe the maritimes.

Atlanta, Nashville, Phoenix and Florida dont really deserve NHL teams. Kovalchuk is a wasted star down in the deep south. He likes to talk and is flashy but its hard to promote a lifelong loser in an empty building.

All in all more trash talk, promos and flair will keep the league running.

PS: Malkin vs Ovechkin?

They have a deep rooted personal hate for each other, like Michael Jordan and Isiah Thomas did back in the day.

Every single Caps-Pens game needs to start with a 30 second clip of Ovechkin flying all over the ice trying to smash Malkin and a quote of Semin calling Crosby overrated followed by Crosby celebrating an insane montage of his crazy goals.

Guest habs1952
Alexander who ?

;)

I think Semin should keep what he think for himself.

Crosby is in the same category as :

Lemieux, Gretzky,Maurice Richard, Gordie Howe....

He's already a legend !

How can you compare Crosby to Richard and Howe when you never saw them play? I've never seen a more complete player than Gordie Howe and to compare Crosby to Howe shows ignorance. (in my opinion)

How can you compare Crosby to Richard and Howe when you never saw them play? I've never seen a more complete player than Gordie Howe and to compare Crosby to Howe shows ignorance. (in my opinion)

Habs1952, the quote you responded too must have been written by someone 20 and under.

Crosby is not even clearly the best player of this generation to compare him to All-time legends is way premature, especially without any Cups and only 1 scoring title. Semin did have a point ;)

They have a deep rooted personal hate for each other, like Michael Jordan and Isiah Thomas did back in the day.

Every single Caps-Pens game needs to start with a 30 second clip of Ovechkin flying all over the ice trying to smash Malkin and a quote of Semin calling Crosby overrated followed by Crosby celebrating an insane montage of his crazy goals.

Since when? What happened?

You know something though: I am happy the US is the fourth sport there! It is good for Canada. If hockey was big in the USA, Canadian teams would be small markets instead of large markets. Our teams would get weaker since we couldn't spend to the cap, we would probably lose more teams to what would become more attractive American markets, etc.

On the contrary, I hope the US loses popularity in the USA. It would be awesome if:

- 2-4 teams were forced to relocate to Canada

- another 6 teams or so contracted, improving the quality of the NHL.

Basically, the NHl as a whole needs to be profitable enough that it can still pay more than other hockey leagues (Europe, etc.) to get the best players. Whiel the US not having hockey interest hurts the owners, it hurts the players salaries, as Canadian hockey fans, I think it's a very good thing.

The league would be better off with 10 Canadian teams and 10 US teams in markets where they actually care about hockey (New York, Minnesota, etc.)

I agree, 20 is a great amount of teams for a league. Although, the NHL probably wouldn't want this because they want the most money and I doubt 20 is sufficient for them.

I can't believe it, Crosby has been nothing but astounding since coming into the league. He's better than Semin, Kane, Vanek, Thornton, etc. The only one who you could say is as good as Crosby in this league right now would be Ovechkin. People have been calling him overrrated for so long now he's underrated. We call Kovalev a great player (and he is) but in his prime with good linemates he scored just 95 points. Crosby has had middle tier linemates almost all of the time (doesn't play with Malkin much at all) and he still puts up well over a PPG.

Geez people really like to tear down the guy on top. Give him a break.

Archived