The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Can You Help Me?

IlliniGiant

I have to give a presentation to a group of children ages 5-8. I want to inspire them and remembered that when the Canadians played at the Forem they had a sign over the door to the locker room saying something to the effect that the older, retired players were passing the torch to the current players and wanting them to hold the torch up high. Can anyone help me with the words to this poem or quote? I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

The saying was

"To you from failing hands we throw the torch. Be yours to hold it high"

It's from the poem Flanders Fields ..someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Hope that helps:)

yes, although I must say I'm not a big fan of using a line that was written about preserving freedom to apply to winning hockey games.

Yes, I understand your concern for showing proper respect. I have now been able to researched the poem In Flanders Fields and see that it was written during WWI by Canadian Army Lt. Col. John McCrae, MD. I will be using this line from his poem in my presentation to the children on November 11, what we in America use to call Armistice Day, but which is now called Veteran's Day. I can assure you that Col. McCrae's memory and words will be shown the highest regard and respect as we will remember those who served and those who gave their lives that we might live free. Thank you for your concerns.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few, some better than others

"The future depends on what we do in the present."

-Ghandi

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall."

-Confucious

"We are all motivated by a keen desire for praise, and the better a man is, the more he is inspired to glory."

-Cicero

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it."

-W.C. Fields

These may not work for 5-8 year olds, but its worth a shot.

I don't know what the quote you were looking for was though.

sorry, that last one probobly didnt help... :mellow:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived