The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

President Barack Obama

Randy15

Congratulations! As long as all the anti-NAFTA talk was just rhetoric and he has an economic policy similar to Clinton's he should be a great president. And I certainly never thought we'd see a black president anytime in the near future, congratulations America!

I've got to admit, I was watching the final days of this just as closely as the Canadian election, even though the Canadian one is obviously much more important to us.

I really don't think so.

You can't punish people for working, by making them pay higher taxes... so people who are lazy can keep sitting on their collective butts and get my money that I work very hard for. I went to school, had self motivation, and got my degree. It was not easy. I had to struggle to get the money for it, and I'm paying it off right now. But I did that so I could make a life for myself... not so I could be taxed and taxed and taxed so my hard earned money can go to the people who are bringing the economy down. What incentive is there, then, for people to work hard?

It's a flawed system. I'm scared for my country no matter who is in office. But I just don't agree with some of Obama's policies. And that's why I didn't vote for him.

I couldn't vote for a man who hasn't himself fought for this country. Who won't show respect to our military men and women... he would not shake hands with people who are currently fighting in the name of my country. He won't show respect to this country by placing his hand over his heart as he recites the Pledge of Allegiance.

Those reasons, along with some of my own moral reasons, are why I'm scared for my country.

And, just to comment on my first point, about the "lazy people." That probably came out a bit wrong. But as I said, it's a flawed system, and in my line of work, I see the holes in it every day. Those are the people that I don't want my money going to. I understand that people do need help. I completely understand that. I don't mind helping those people out. But others, that are abusing the system... those people make me sick.

I do applaud the american people (myself being american born but now a canadian citizen) for choosing the better candidate today. What scares me is that while I believe Obama is smarter, less corrupt and certainly more likely to survive his candidacy than McCain, I wonder just how many favors one has to repay after a Seven Hundred Million Dollar campaign. This is frightening.

But I suppose this is not the time, nor the place, so I simply say congratulations & hope its not (to quote the Who) "meet the new boss, same as the old boss"...which, considering the vast sums of "donations" from corporate interests, Wall Street interests and big corporate law firm attorneys- moreso than even McCain's camp (!!) seems likely. I am...cautious in my optimism.

I do applaud the american people (myself being american born but now a canadian citizen) for choosing the better candidate today. What scares me is that while I believe Obama is smarter, less corrupt and certainly more likely to survive his candidacy than McCain, I wonder just how many favors one has to repay after a Seven Hundred Million Dollar campaign. This is frightening.

But I suppose this is not the time, nor the place, so I simply say congratulations & hope its not (to quote the Who) "meet the new boss, same as the old boss"...which, considering the vast sums of "donations" from corporate interests, Wall Street interests and big corporate law firm attorneys- moreso than even McCain's camp (!!) seems likely. I am...cautious in my optimism.

I guess we can only hope that he'll be able to come up with that kind of money again to help out th economy. It's going to be an interesting term, I think.

I really don't think so.

You can't punish people for working, by making them pay higher taxes... so people who are lazy can keep sitting on their collective butts and get my money that I work very hard for. I went to school, had self motivation, and got my degree. It was not easy. I had to struggle to get the money for it, and I'm paying it off right now. But I did that so I could make a life for myself... not so I could be taxed and taxed and taxed so my hard earned money can go to the people who are bringing the economy down. What incentive is there, then, for people to work hard?

You make over $250,000 a year? Congratulations I guess, but do you not think you deserve to pay a bit more than people who can barely put food on their plate? And Obama isn't exactly planning to raise taxes drastically, just revert to Clinton levels.

And Bush spent like a madman, just instead of raising taxes he took the cowards way out and added trillions to the national debt: all this is is a deferred tax hike. I get that some people want to see a "conservative" president, but Bush (and Mccain would have followed) was one of the wildest spending Presidents ever.

I couldn't vote for a man who hasn't himself fought for this country. Who won't show respect to our military men and women... he would not shake hands with people who are currently fighting in the name of my country. He won't show respect to this country by placing his hand over his heart as he recites the Pledge of Allegiance.

I think you watch too much Fox news. He never said he "wouldn't" put his hand over his heart, he just didn't do it that time, and And I've seen pictures of him shaking hands with servicemen, and he certainly hsows respsect. He may have never fought himself, but most the people in the Bush administration, the ones who sent thousands of Americans to their death, never served (and some who did got cushier jobs that kept them in the country). The mastermind of Bush's foreign policy, Dick Cheney, was a major draft dodger.

True, Mccain has a great military record, and deserves praise for it, but it's not a prerequisite to be president.

Although a lot of it was actually from individual donations on the internet, so I don't think it's any worse than any other campaigns (which is still pretty bad, granted).

But I suppose this is not the time, nor the place, so I simply say congratulations & hope its not (to quote the Who) "meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

I don't think we will see the level of change people expect, but I do think he'll be much more like Clinton than Bush.

You make over $250,000 a year? Congratulations I guess, but do you not think you deserve to pay a bit more than people who can barely put food on their plate? And Obama isn't exactly planning to raise taxes drastically, just revert to Clinton levels.

I completely agree that people making more money should pay a higher dollar amount... but a higher percentage rate? Meh. It would take a lot of convincing to get me to believe that. 30% (i just made up this number, just so you know) of anyone's salary is a huge chunk, whether you make $250,000/year or $50,000/year.

And, if you read my last paragraph, you'd see that I said that I don't mind helping people out who NEED it. It's the people who use and abuse the system that really upset me... and they get away with it. Hence the flawed system. If Obama can fix this, I think that would be amazing.

I think you watch too much Fox news. He never said he "wouldn't" put his hand over his heart, he just didn't do it that time

And how is THAT time different than any other? Why that time?

(Had to split this up.... not sure why :P}

And I've seen pictures of him shaking hands with servicemen, and he certainly hsows respsect.

Well he didn't seem to have the time when he was around my very close friends husband, and his fellow servicemen. Again, why not THAT time? What made that time different? If you're running for President... wouldn't you shake the hand of every serviceman or woman that you could? I sure would.

He may have never fought himself, but most the people in the Bush administration, the ones who sent thousands of Americans to their death, never served (and some who did got cushier jobs that kept them in the country). The mastermind of Bush's foreign policy, Dick Cheney, was a major draft dodger.

I never said I was a Bush supporter.

Dick Cheney is a coward for doing that. Again, I never said that I supported the Bush Administration... but I couldn't vote in that election, so I didn't have a say in that one. I did in this one.

I live part time in the USA (4 months a year) in Las Vegas and make most of my money in the United State, and i was always a fan of Obama for most of his ideas and vision, the only thing im wondering now is..... how much more money im going to pay in taxes for the year of 2009 :lol:

Otherwise im happy for the guy, he's a smart guy with a good head on his shoulder and im glad america was truly ready for a major change.

I guess im gonna pay just as much taxes as we pay in Quebec now, oh well.... we can't live in a perfect world lol.

I completely agree that people making more money should pay a higher dollar amount... but a higher percentage rate? Meh. It would take a lot of convincing to get me to believe that.

Uh Mccain was never for a flat tax ... You probably should have voted for Bob Barr if you are against progressive taxation.

Oh and remember who was against Bush's tax cuts when they first happened: John Mccain.

And how is THAT time different than any other? Why that time?

Well he didn't seem to have the time when he was around my very close friends husband, and his fellow servicemen. Again, why not THAT time? What made that time different? If you're running for President... wouldn't you shake the hand of every serviceman or woman that you could? I sure would.

There could be a million explanations, and it's way to easy to judge someone after one incident. And how about Mccain choosing a running mate who is married to a US separatist? Someone wanting to seperate from the USA seems a lot more unAmerican than not putting your hand over your heart one time.

I never said I was a Bush supporter.

Dick Cheney is a coward for doing that. Again, I never said that I supported the Bush Administration... but I couldn't vote in that election, so I didn't have a say in that one. I did in this one.

Yes but it shows presidents from both sides come in without having served. I don't know that military service can be a prerequisite for being president. It would be nice, sure, but ultimately the winner should be the person who would do the best job.

The reason there's such a huge difference in funding for the campaigns is the approach; Obama chose not to take the traditional publicly-funded approach and was rewarded sincerely by individuals.

I think this was finally an election worth the collective time of the people; it was a solid election between two good candidates, rather than a race between dumb and dumber.

John McCain would have been the same president as dubya. This is a horrible thing. Obama will hopefully be able to bring a surplus back to the states and also bring back a respect from the rest of the world as opposed to being disgusted by the rest of the planet. I say congrats President Obama and please make your country something the benefits the rest of the world instead of being a giant bully and pushing the rest of the world around.

I do believe that military service gives one a completely different perspective on any country. A perspective that no ordinary citizen could understand.

I am interested to see what Obama will do, and of course I'm hoping he can fix the broken economy that we have here. By no means am I rooting for him to fail. I just have differing opinions and morals than he does. And those morals are a huge part of why he didn't get my vote this afternoon. I also knew that my state was going to be blue all the way, but of course I had to have my say.

Actually, wasn't Clinton very cautious in spending? Looking at Obama's plans, they're going to be quite pricey.

Yes, Clinton was very solid financially (ironically, it's always the Democrats who spend conservatively, the US debt is almost all thanks to Republicans)

But Obama is never going to implement all those plans. Anyone who thinks he will keep all his promises is kidding themselves. Obama is a very, very smart man, I'm sincerely hoping he is able to make balancing the budget a priority and run a surplus by the end of his presidency.

But I think the question a lot of us should be asking is if Mr. Wetsuit and Harper can get a good relationship going with the USA, especially considering the current economy. It's weird to see Canada's government to the right of the USA's, but hopefully they can get a good working relationship.

I really don't think so.

It's a flawed system. I'm scared for my country no matter who is in office. But I just don't agree with some of Obama's policies. And that's why I didn't vote for him.

Those reasons, along with some of my own moral reasons, are why I'm scared for my country.

And, just to comment on my first point, about the "lazy people." That probably came out a bit wrong. But as I said, it's a flawed system, and in my line of work, I see the holes in it every day. Those are the people that I don't want my money going to. I understand that people do need help. I completely understand that. I don't mind helping those people out. But others, that are abusing the system... those people make me sick.

Well I do feel bad for you. The majority of this country looked at the last 8 years and knew it needed a change. You apparently did not feel that way. I sympathize with your policy concerns regarding taxes, but I would ask you to look at history. Note that the deficit has grown in every Republican presidency since FDR and shrank with every Democratic presidency. Note that Obama's tax cuts will be felt by over 100 MILLION more Americans than what Mac was proposing. Big business can not succeed when people can not pay there mortgages. I am in an upper tax bracket, but I do not vote with my wallet, I vote for the better ideas and the better plans. McCain offered nothing new, and more of the same. I am happy to see him lose.

As for your military arguments, I must say you sound the calling card of a dying breed of Republican faithful. People who look at things that, quite frankly, do not matter, and vote accordingly. We obviously differ in our political allegiances and how we determine qualifications. I trust you hope for the implosion I expected when GWB took power, but I warn you that Obama is no Bush, and he will succeed where the present administration has failed.

I think Obama had dinner with Clinton not too long ago and asked him a bunch of advice, he has huge praise for Mr. Clinton and i think eventually Clinton could play a role of some kind of unofficial advisor for Obama in the future.

Oh yea he did. Admittedly the rife between the Clintons and Obama was very real, based on a very hard fought primary battle. But the Clintons' are savvy politicians, and as much as they are the face of the Democrats these past few decades, they know when to join the winning team. In recent weeks Bill and Obama have been in frequent contact, and watch how many of Clinton's prior executive members of office make it into Obama's inner circle. Its all good in the hood folks.

But I think the question a lot of us should be asking is if Mr. Wetsuit and Harper can get a good relationship going with the USA, especially considering the current economy. It's weird to see Canada's government to the right of the USA's, but hopefully they can get a good working relationship.

Well i hate the fact that nobody cares about the economy of Canada, when theres a financial crisis in America, a bunch of country starts helping the United States to get rid of their hole and everyone ignores Canada who is pretty much in the same hole.

And yet were the hand who feed the United States on so many levels (gas/electricity/drinkable water/food/paper) and we don't get any help back?!

God i don't understand how this world works sometimes.

Archived